Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Harvey-1950

molo14

• 2 weeks later...

> {quote:title=konway87 wrote:}{quote}

> Difference between Elwood and Normal Human Being is clearly shown in the film. Veta ended up getting locked in Sanatorium. Elwood and Harvey get free pass to leave Sanatorium.

Good point!

• 10 months later...

Does anyone else feel like checking into Chumley's Rest?

harvey.jpg?t=1237264172

I thought I would bump up this old thread and see if anyone would like to revisit this wonderful film.

Harvey2.jpg?t=1237264272

*Please feel free to relax and share your thoughts*

Harvey3.jpg?t=1237264334

*Just don't get carried away.*

Harvey4.jpg?t=1237264399

*You don't want to end up like Veta!* :)

I'll be back with some comments later.

Molo,

Please tell Harvey I need a drink. And if see FrankGrimes, tell him I know he has watched this film, so now he should share his thoughts with us!

I suspect that Chumley's is going to be a required stop for many of us lost souls. :)

*And if see FrankGrimes, tell him I know he has watched this film, so now he should share his thoughts with us!*

You heard the lady, Frank.

I see he's been down in the noir forum. I don't know if he can turn on a dime and tackle *Harvey*.

Hopefully he will at least stop by and throw out a teaser, then we can harass him for the next six months to expand upon it. He likes it when we do that. ;)

Oh, I'm just kidding Frank! :)

*I hope they have a lovely room with a scenic view ... I feel the need for a rest... So long as I don't get VETA'S check in treatment...*

I'm sure we can find some lovely accommodations for you. It's the perfect place to relax and rejuvenate.

You might want to stay clear of this guy though. :)

Harvey5.jpg?t=1237272491

i love harvey! :x

i've been in love with this movie ever since i frist watcht it with my sister when we were in high school (well I was in hs and she was just in jr. high) and we thought we were going to see harvey but of course it's not seen int he movie, and that's just the point.

1538621223_c8738bf6d41.jpg

I love *Harvey*. I want a great big invisible rabbit of my own. :)

Jesse White is a scream in this movie.

I just recently watched a couple of early Frank Borzage talkies and guess

who appears in them? Our very own "Veta" (Josephine Hull). :D She's a pip in

AFTER TOMORROW, plays a mother who can't cut her apron strings to Charles

Farrell and who tries to make Marion Nixon, miserable for wanting to marry him.

What's crazy is how she's this combination of a prim, repressive-obsessive mother

but at the same time she carries on with this 300 lb. chewing gum inventor, lol. I know it

sounds insane (like a scenario for Chumley's Rest), but it's true. All these things and

more take place in a tenament apartment building and if it's true what Mr. Bullock

says, all you need to start an asylum is a room and right kind of people, then this

qualifies.

Familiar are all the Josephinisms; the quirky, fluttery mannerisms and expressions

(and frequent tears) that we are used to from her characters in *Arsenic and Old Lace*

and, of course, *Harvey*. :)

Josephine definitely should have been mentioned in the Squirrely Cherubs thread if she

wasn't. You guys have to see her in After Tomorrow, ha! Such a crazy character,

even vaguely disturbing in some ways.

Speaking of disturbing, does anyone besides me notice a slightly unsettling undercurrent

throughout Harvey? (I mean besides a certain big, white rabbit only certain people can

see, ha!) I can't quite put my finger on it. It pops up here and there. Jimmy

Stewart's character, the way he looks and acts when he's listening to the nurse or to Dr.

Chumley talk about his favorite fantasy. And the doctor, too, is a little strange. Is that maybe

part of the idea behind the story? That we are all a little strange in our own ways?

I can't quite put my finger on it. It pops up here and there. Jimmy

Stewart's character, the way he looks and acts when he's listening to the nurse or to Dr.

Chumley talk about his favorite fantasy. And the doctor, too, is a little strange

YES... and thank you for finally saying what I NEVER wanted to admit... there are times in that movie where it does almost feels "creepy".... and I NEVER have been able to understand it...

For me... I think it's the fact that the "mystery" is removed and the rabbit REALLY exists... I don't like it... I wish I never knew for sure...

"And how are you, Mr. Wilson?" Supposed to be funny... but ALWAYS creeps me out.. just a little bit too. :-)

Having him be a REAL character makes me wonder about what he's thinking... because we really only know if Elwood tells us. But at that same time... the effect he has on Elwood.... is almost "hypnotic" rather than pleasant and harmless...

If I ran into him and his invisible friend at the grocery store... and they wanted to "chat", I'd have to put the cart between us just to make myself feel better... Ha. :-)

And yes... I think there is also a commentary going on about how we are all "strange" in different ways.... the only two he dont' seem a bit "whacko" to me.. ok the only three... are the nurse, the young doctor, and the cab driver... EVERYONE else seems to have a few issues...

But then again... don't we all? :-)

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

>

> YES... and thank you for finally saying what I NEVER wanted to admit... there are times in that movie where it does almost feels "creepy".... and I NEVER have been able to understand it...

>

I've heard the play is a little darker than the movie version, so perhaps what we

sense is what remains of that darkness. I'm curious about the TV version Stewart

did. He seemed happier with his performance in that, though I can't imagine the

production itself could compare to this.

> For me... I think it's the fact that the "mystery" is removed and the rabbit REALLY exists... I don't like it... I wish I never knew for sure...

>

Me too. I wonder if it would be better if it were left to conjecture whether the rabbit exists or not.

> Having him be a REAL character makes me wonder about what he's thinking... because we really only know if Elwood tells us. But at that same time... the effect he has on Elwood.... is almost "hypnotic" rather than pleasant and harmless...

>

> If I ran into him and his invisible friend at the grocery store... and they wanted to "chat", I'd have to put the cart between us just to make myself feel better... Ha. :-)

>

Hahahaaaaa! I have to say, "Harvey" doesn't worry me as much as Dr. Chumley and poor

Elwood. I love Elwood, don't get me wrong, but I've always felt sad that he only seems to

have one "true" friend and it's...it's...a Pookah!

> And yes... I think there is also a commentary going on about how we are all "strange" in different ways.... the only two he dont' seem a bit "whacko" to me.. ok the only three... are the nurse, the young doctor, and the cab driver... EVERYONE else seems to have a few issues...

>

> But then again... don't we all? :-)

Yes indeedy we do. At first I thought the same---that those were the only normal ones.

Now maybe I think it's just the cab driver. Because the young doc is a bit arrogant and the nurse

has the unfortunate taste to be in love with him. I guess that's still "normal", though, lol.

What about Jesse White? No, he exhibits a little too much relish in giving old ladies baths. :D

Or the judge? Oh my goodness, you're right we all have issues and maybe the main thing

to remember about this movie is not to judge anyone. I have a feeling Harvey is looking over

my shoulder...

I've heard the play is a little darker than the movie version

Believe it or not... I have seen this as a play... Ok... it was a high school performance in a school district where I used to work... I knew some of the kids. (The kid who played Elwood was SPOT on by the way... He could almost have been a "young Jimmy" playing an older Jimmy... Ha) But I digress... at any rate... I don't recall the play being much different from the film... BUT that may not be the best stage performance to judge it by...

I've always felt sad that he only seems to have one "true" friend and it's...it's...a Pookah!

And see... THAT is to me a possible explanation for the "creep factor".... it's almost like the Pookah comes in and ruins your chances to relate to anyone but him by the very fact that YOU are the only one who believes he exists.... So everyone else thinks you're whacko... I don't know. And there are times in that film where again... it is almost like Stewart is 'hypnotized:" or under a spell... Ok... that's maybe stretching it...

Anyway.... glad to hear I have not been alone all these years in thinking this... I STILL love the film... I just have always had this little "issue" with it, for whatever reason.

And PS... If Harvey IS looking over your shoulder... DON'T let him read this... I don't want him to come and play any mean tricks on me... Ha. :-)

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> I've heard the play is a little darker than the movie version

>

> Believe it or not... I have seen this as a play... Ok... it was a high school performance in a school district where I used to work... I knew some of the kids. (The kid who played Elwood was SPOT on by the way... He could almost have been a "young Jimmy" playing an older Jimmy... Ha) But I digress... at any rate... I don't recall the play being much different from the film... BUT that may not be the best stage performance to judge it by...

>

So tell me..in the play, does anyone show up as "Harvey" or does he remain "invisible"

the whole time?

> I've always felt sad that he only seems to have one "true" friend and it's...it's...a Pookah!

>

> And see... THAT is to me a possible explanation for the "creep factor".... it's almost like the Pookah comes in and ruins your chances to relate to anyone but him by the very fact that YOU are the only one who believes he exists.... So everyone else thinks you're whacko... I don't know. And there are times in that film where again... it is almost like Stewart is 'hypnotized:" or under a spell... Ok... that's maybe stretching it...

>

I know what you're saying about the strange sort of "fixated" or "glassy" look in Jimmy's

eyes sometimes. I agree. I'll be interested in what Konway or Molo has to say...they may

have a different take.

>

> And PS... If Harvey IS looking over your shoulder... DON'T let him read this... I don't want him to come and play any mean tricks on me... Ha. :-)

I've got my own pookah-protector ("It's just a harmless little bunny..."):

bunny-1.jpg?t=1237397028

does anyone show up as "Harvey" or does he remain "invisible" the whole time?

Well, in the performance I saw, no one physically shows up... but you know he is there. Doors "magically" open and a few things get moved around or dropped. We took my youngest stepson to see this (it was about a 13 or 14 years ago so he was still pretty young at the time... I think he was in 2nd grade... and we kept teasing him when the doors would open or stuff would fall... He'd say... "where's Harvey?" and we'd tell him, "Didn't you see Harvey? We did." ha. :-)

I've got my own pookah-protector

TOO cute... :-)

("It's just a harmless little bunny...")

RUN AWAY!! :D

> We took my youngest stepson to see this (it was about a 13 or 14 years ago so he was still pretty young at the time... He'd say... "where's Harvey?" and we'd tell him, "Didn't you see Harvey? We did." ha.

Must have been a lot of fun to watch "Harvey" performed on stage. That's so cute about teasing your youngest stepson, I'll bet he must have been wondering for a long while why he couldn't see him. :P

*("It's just a harmless little bunny...")*

funny-pictures-king-arthur-last-picture-rabbit.jpg

Hey there, Grahame's Guy -- And if see FrankGrimes, tell him I know he has

watched this film, so now he should share his thoughts with us!

You heard the lady, Frank. I see he's been down in the noir forum. I don't know if he can

turn on a dime and tackle Harvey. Hopefully he will at least stop by and throw out a

teaser, then we can harass him for the next six months to expand upon it. He likes it

when we do that.

:D I finally took the time to read the entire thread. Some excellent observations were

made throughout, especially by you. Konway's comments were terrific, as well. I'll

see what I can do to reply to y'all tonight.

A film that comes to mind with me in relationship to Harvey is...

curseofthecatpeople2.jpg

curseofthecatpeople3.jpg

curseofthecatpeople4.jpg

curseofthecatpeople5.jpg

curseofthecatpeople6.jpg

curseofthecatpeople7.jpg

curseofthecatpeople8.jpg

Hi Miss G,

Josephine Hull's Veta is really something to behold. She is a an absolute riot in this film, but she also wonderfully conveys a lot of nice, humane touches in dealing with both Elwood and Harvey. I agree with CineMaven. She should be recognized as one of film's great character actresses despite her small number of roles.

Josephine_Hull.jpg

For years I thought she had only appeared in three movies, *Harvey*, *Arsenic and Old Lace* and *The Lady from Texas*, so I was glad to discover that she did do some work in the early sound era. I would really love to see the Borzage film as well as *Careless Lady*. They both sound really good.

While she was able to recreate two of her greatest stage roles on film, she did miss out on the film version of *You Can't Take It With You*. I also had no idea that she did the role of "Mrs." Laura Partridge in the Broadway production of *The Solid Gold Cadillac* until just a few days ago. I assumed Judy Holliday had created the role. It would have made for quite a different movie with the more matronly Hull.

Here are some pictures of her performance from that play:

JosephineHull1.jpg?t=1237489768

JosephineHull1-1.jpg?t=1237489809;

JosephineHull1-2.jpg?t=1237489860;

A couple of years ago MedusaMorlock wrote a nice little article on Josephine Hull over at MovieMorlocks. It also has a couple of nice pictures of her receiving her Oscar.

Check it out here:

http://moviemorlocks.com/2007/03/29/whither-the-great-dames-anyway/

*Miss Goddess wrote:* *Speaking of disturbing, does anyone besides me notice a slightly unsettling undercurrent throughout Harvey? (I mean besides a certain big, white rabbit only certain people can see, ha!) I can't quite put my finger on it. It pops up here and there. Jimmy*

*Stewart's character, the way he looks and acts when he's listening to the nurse or to Dr.*

*Chumley talk about his favorite fantasy. And the doctor, too, is a little strange. Is that maybe*

*part of the idea behind the story? That we are all a little strange in our own ways?*

*Rohanaka wrote:* *YES... and thank you for finally saying what I NEVER wanted to admit... there are times in that movie where it does almost feels "creepy".... and I NEVER have been able to understand it...*

Okay so you want to delve into the dark side hey? Cynics! :D

I think the story does have some darker themes. The film (and play) has been analyzed from a variety of perspectives. (See Lynn's original post about post-war conformity and my response to it)

I think it's an interesting avenue of discussion. I will ponder it all before I comment too much. I knew you guys would make me think! :)

*Rohanaka wrote:* *For me... I think it's the fact that the "mystery" is removed and the rabbit REALLY exists... I don't like it... I wish I never knew for sure...*

Are you sure Harvey really exists?

*"And how are you, Mr. Wilson?" Supposed to be funny... but ALWAYS creeps me out.. just a little bit too.*

Well that's just a Pooka's mischievous nature coming out. That's a big laugh line for Wilson in the play. I wouldn't go so far as to say it creeps me out . We are dealing with mysterious forces here.

*Rohanaka wrote:* *Having him be a REAL character makes me wonder about what he's thinking... because we really only know if Elwood tells us. But at that same time... the effect he has on Elwood.... is almost "hypnotic" rather than pleasant and harmless...*

*Miss Goddess wrote:* *Hahahaaaaa! I have to say, "Harvey" doesn't worry me as much as Dr. Chumley and poor Elwood. I love Elwood, don't get me wrong, but I've always felt sad that he only seems to have one "true" friend and it's...it's...a Pookah!*

Well I said earlier in the thread that Elwood made certain choices before Harvey came along. I think that's one of the reasons Harvey is attracted to Elwood.

Now what do we know about Elwood? We know that for years, he was oh so smart and that he drinks...a lot. We also know that when Elwood first encounters Harvey, he is not too surprised to meet up with a six foot two and half inch rabbit. We know that he lived with his mother in the house until she died, and that his relatives, at least Aunt Ethel, were very fond of him before Harvey came along, maybe even before Elwood changed, but have had little contact with him since. We also know that he gives little thought to the daily responsibilities most of us have to deal with. He tears up his mail and mentions that Veta takes care of that sort of thing.

I don't think Harvey really changes Elwood so much as Harvey was attracted to Elwood because he was already different.

*Rohanaka wrote:* *If I ran into him and his invisible friend at the grocery store... and they wanted to "chat", I'd have to put the cart between us just to make myself feel better... Ha.*

Now Kathy, he's just a harmless little bunny, for goodness sake. ;)

*Rohanaka wrote:* *And yes... I think there is also a commentary going on about how we are all "strange" in different ways.... the only two he dont' seem a bit "whacko" to me.. ok the only three... are the nurse, the young doctor, and the cab driver... EVERYONE else seems to have a few issues...*

*But then again... don't we all?*

*Miss Goddess wrote:* *Or the judge? Oh my goodness, you're right we all have issues and maybe the main thing to remember about this movie is not to judge anyone. I have a feeling Harvey is looking over my shoulder...*

Well I think one of the messages is not to get worked up about the dreary details of life. Not to conform to what society expects of you, but try to seek out and explore the beauty in life that others are to busy or to jaded to notice.

As I wrote earlier:

One of the things I like about the film is that it poses the question as to what is normal, what is real and what is possible.

This film deals with a lot of what lies in our hearts and dreams.

Who knows? Are we all just dealing with flyspecks?

:)