Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Harvey-1950

molo14

*I finally took the time to read the entire thread. Some excellent observations were*

*made throughout, especially by you. Konway's comments were terrific, as well. I'll*

*see what I can do to reply to y'all tonight.*

And how are you, Mr. Grimes.... :)

Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to hearing your usual insightful observations on Elwood, Veta, Harvey and the rest of the gang.

*A film that comes to mind with me in relationship to Harvey is...*

Ah, Irena... :)

Interesting, is that our teaser? :D

And how are you, Mr. Grimes....

Trying to play catch-up around here.

Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to hearing your usual insightful observations

on Elwood, Veta, Harvey and the rest of the gang.

Ohhhh, don't expect anything of the like. Your words on the film have been sensational.

Ah, Irena... Interesting, is that our teaser?

Naaah. I still have Belle on my mind. My pointy tail isn't showing, is it?

Hiya Molo!

Okay so you want to delve into the dark side hey? Cynics!

Thanks for dipping you toes in "the dark side" for a moment. :-)

First of all... I should go on record as saying that I don't really think Harvey is a DARK film... but you are right... there are some darker "themes". I also read through some of the earlier posts including your original one and the one that Ms Cutter wrote, and I agree about the themes of "individualism" too.

Are you sure Harvey really exists?

AREN'T YOU??????? :-)

I think it IS more fun to "wonder" sometimes when watching a movie like this one... "IS he really seeing the rabbit?" to me would have had a lot of interesting possibilities. But finding out that there is a whole "supernatural species" of Pooka's roaming around out there in the world.... I just had too much on my mind wondering about what he was thinking and where he would lead the story next.... and it bugs me a little.

But this "creep factor" thing goes deeper than just that issue for me as I am finally putting it all together. ... Though I still really can't put it into words... I think it goes back more to what April and I were saying about Stewart's take on Elwood at times w/ the glassy eyed stare... etc.

I don't think Harvey really changes Elwood so much as Harvey was attracted to Elwood because he was already different.

There ya go.... And once we find out Harvey isn't really part of THAT equation... that 's when Elwood sort of starts to make me wonder. He seems so peaceful... and he has a "way about him" that is very relaxed in a lot of respects. All except for ONE thing .. and it is the way he seems to be so INTENT every time he is looking at anyone or speaking with them. He is practically staring them down... or at least that is the way it seems to me a lot of the time. It's like he is having one conversation with his words.. and yet I am wondering what he is thinking the whole time he is talking. Good eye contact is important in any worth while verbal conversation... but sometimes TOO much eye contact can be... "creepy". And THAT is to me what takes him from being such a laid back "pleasant guy" who has a few "quirks" to something I can't really describe but am just a little "uncomfortable" about .

Don't get me wrong.... I don't think he is at all "sinister". Elwood would not hurt a fly. I don't think even Harvey is sinister either (though I DO see him as you say.. "mischievous". But I was a lot more comfortable w/ Elwood's "quirks" until I found out Harvey wasn't one of them.

Ok.... now before you think I am "anti-Elwood" or "anti- Harvey" (the film or the bunny) I again want to repeat that I LOVE watching this film and have always enjoyed it. And honestly, I always have a smile on my face when this film is on that lasts until long after it is over... but it's only when I think just a LITTLE TOO MUCH about a few of those "things" I can't quite grasp... I get that "hair on the back of my neck" thing going on. And again... It's more of a general mood than it is anything I can explain in words. Maybe it's not "Harvey" or Elwood... Maybe this is one of those "it's not you, it's me" things. Ha.

That's a big laugh line for Wilson in the play

I remember reading that you got to play him in high school... I bet that role was a lot of fun... If I was going to be in that play... I would want to be.... hmmmm.... VETA. OF COURSE. Ha. (Except fot the "check in" at the sanitarium... I would have to have a "stunt double" Ha. :-)

I'd have to put the cart between us just to make myself feel better... Ha.

Now Kathy, he's just a harmless little bunny, for goodness sake.

RUN AWAY!! :D

Actually I was talking about putting the cart between me and ELWOOD. Ha. I am sure if everyone were to think hard enough... we have all met a few characters that we can stand and chat w/ here and there as we go about our day... but occassionally... you run into one that makes you want to put at least a shopping cart's length between you... (Hey... Larry... wait, come back... what are you doing with that shopping cart?) Ha. :-)

PS... MR GREY... interesting take w/ the whole IRENA screencaps...

I still have Belle on my mind

Of course you do...

My pointy tail isn't showing, is it?

NO tail... but what is that peach pie stain doing on your collar??????????

I read some of these posts about Harvey, and I've always wondered, why did Elwood have the portrait of him and Elwood done? And I wonder what the artist thought. The picture shows him to be close to an friendly Easter Bunny type to me. Maybe it was the commission of the portrait that got the whole "we need to get Elwood someplace" ball rolling.

> I read some of these posts about Harvey, and I've always wondered, why did Elwood have the portrait of him and Elwood done?

I look at it as mostly a plot device, a way to show the movie audience a graphic representation of what Harvey is supposed to look like.

harvey.jpg

But if you think about it, I guess it does make you wonder what the painter would have made of it all. ;)

*I read some of these posts about Harvey, and I've always wondered, why did Elwood have the portrait of him and Elwood done?*

I always thought it was because portraits like that were all the rage during that era. How many classic photos have we seen not only of stars at home but everyday folks in Life magazine that had a portrait above the fire place.

Elwood just wanted to include the friend that mattered most to him in the painting. I like to think he was thumbing his nose at the conventions of the day he was trying so hard to escape from.

Did the painter capture the essence of Harvey or not? That's the question I always think of.

> Did the painter capture the essence of Harvey or not? That's the question I always think of.

In my opinion, he did. That is exactly how I would like to picture Harvey. Anything else would look a bit creepy, I think. But that image strikes the right balance of goofiness and cutesiness.

*In my opinion, he did. That is exactly how I would like to picture Harvey. Anything else would look a bit creepy, I think. But that image strikes the right balance of goofiness and cutesiness.*

I'm not sure if the portrait artist actually saw Harvey or if he just pretended to for Elwood's sake.

In the artist's defense, Elwood loves the painting so much that he replaces the standard "society" portrait above the fireplace with the it.

But I always imagined Harvey as a much less conventional "Easter" bunny type.

But maybe that's just me.

But I always imagined Harvey as a much less conventional "Easter" bunny type

Now I would have pictured that too... if it were not for the painting. Because I have always imagined that it looks that way because this is how Elwood described Harvey to the artist... (yet another reason he would be so fond of it.. "It looks just like him")

How would you like to have been the guy who painted that thing??? Can't you just picture old Elwood standing next to him and saying something like... "Now... now... his ears... His ears are not quite right. The.. the left one is just a little fuller, you see... like that. Yes.. that's right."

(Pardon the poor Jimmy Stewart impression) :-)

Ro,

No apologies needed for the Jimmy Stewart impression. Sounds just look him.

I prefer the shadow figure of Harvey at the end of the film over the painting of Harvey and Elwood.

Something about that crooked rabbit ear gets me every time.

I agree that I would rather remember Harvey as the shadowing figure at the end. Do you remember Veta's reaction to the painting? I would have to go back and check on that. I know she yells out that is not my mother but I forget whether she makes any other comments. We know that she knows what Harvey really looks like.

Kathy your Jimmy Stewart impression was very good! :)

and April, I agree that the painter probably needed a few drinks after each session, something I'm sure Elwood is happy to oblige.

I was just testing YOU

What?? There was a test?? Aw man.... and I didn't study...

PS... Barb... though it will sound egotistical... I would name my Pooka "Kathy"... that way if I got caught carrying on a conversation with it... everybody would just think I was talking to myself. And since I usually do that anyway... I'd only look... as crazy as usual. Ha! :-)

I'm trying to keep with the idea that it's a name which no one you knew ever had.

I am stumped. Harvey just seems right. I considered Thaddeus, Godfrey, and even Elwood, but I have an uncle named Elwood.