Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
boyawar

Am I being blacklisted?

I have found lately that my recent posts in the Hedy Lamarr beautiful thread has been missing. Could one be 'blacklisted' in these forums without even a warning? I tried to ask TCM, but as everyone knows its difficult to get a response from TCM about its message board. My posts were not offensive in any way...unless calling an individual a troll. Does anyone have an answer?

I have had the same problem and I said absolutely nothing that could be taken as insulting ---------

My posts were not offensive in any way...unless calling an individual a troll. Does anyone have an answer?>>

Hedger,

According to the Code of Conduct:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/ann.jspa?annID=16

calling someone a troll or other names is a no-no on the board.

We had a rather nasty board meltdown about a year ago that resulted in the Code of Conduct being drawn up and posted.

Chances are the WebAdmin removed your post and if anyone had replied to it, those posts usually get removed as well even if they are inoffensive.

Hope that helps!

Thanks...i've seen other forums where there are always trolls and rightly called by other posters and yet they continue to post. How did this individual manage to get my post removed...that is what I like to know. I couldn't find any area where one explains on how to get rid of a poster that is considered a troll.

Yes, it was a poster that I called a troll...and you say that they get easily offended...well what about what he/she was writing about, I found equally offended, but I never tried to get him/she blacklisted.

> {quote:title=Hedger wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks...i've seen other forums where there are always trolls and rightly called by other posters and yet they continue to post. How did this individual manage to get my post removed...that is what I like to know. I couldn't find any area where one explains on how to get rid of a poster that is considered a troll.

Hedger,

I don't know how your post got removed but I do know from prior incidents here that the WebAdmin does lurk in the background from time to time.

Another possibility is that someone wrote to the WebAdmin about the post.

As I said calling someone a troll is a no-no here and is usually the first sign that a thread is going south.

If you are having trouble with a poster or if you believe a poster is not who they say they are, the WebAdmin has posted here repeatedly that the proper way to handle the situation is to contact the WebAdmin directly through PMing.

Taking a fight with another poster public and calling each other names has resulted in warnings in the past and there have been some posters booted for their behavior.

That's why it's best to handle whatever your situation is through private PMs with the WebAdmin.

It's curious though, isn't it, that a post would be removed without the poster being told about it and warned?

Excuse me for barging in, but what is so bad about being called a Troll? It sounds amusing, not offensive.

:)

but what is so bad about being called a Troll? It sounds amusing, not offensive.>>

Bob,

From wikipedia:

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]

We have had a number of instances in the past where this has happened and caused major problems. The last time it happened a year ago, it was so bad that a number of long-time posters left this forum for good.

That is what caused the Code of Conduct to be instated by the WebAdmin. It's all back in the Archives if you want to read about it.

Hedger I read your posts - and found them to be right on the money, who knows why these things happen? Hang in there,kid...and don't let the turkeys get you down...

Hedger,

I find the IGNORE feature to be an effective anti-troll device. They can spew their nonsense and you don't have to see it...love it!

Oh. I see. I always knew what a Troll was, but to be sure of myself, I looked it up in a dictionary. I had no idea that on-line forums had a different meaning for that word. Or, I suppose one might say it's basically the same meaning, but a different connotation.

Last year I had been reading some of the bickering between some of the posters. Most of it wasn't very interesting but I was a little amused at some of the name-calling. I thought Troll was just some comical name used in place of an annoying little imp, monster or rascal. So, a Troll is a troublemaker.

But it seems that, on the other hand, some people are thin-skinned. Someone just recently said that we have to type on eggshells on these forums.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

bOb.

Hedger, I think you are great and love to read your posts as I am off the deep end for Hedy myself. It's nice to read other posters who like the same people i do. It's not your fault you have great taste in actresses!! LOL. I think you even stepped in to defend Hedy when a newbie was bashing her. Bravo, Hedger. Encore. Keep up the good posting and have a great week. Calling someone a troll is mild compared to the ranting, raving, and curse words i have seen on these boards.

Calling somebody a"troll" may seem innocent enough, but the fact is ,from past experience, it usually leads to a lot worse. Besides it's a no-no in the rules. These boards have just begun to settle down after last round of flaming and bashing so people tend to be more alert to these things and are quicker to report them. If a lot of folks complain about somebody, that person will end up getting banned.

TCM forums have always been a place for discussion of films and related topics. Most of us have been around a long time and while we may disagree with each other on certain things we try and do it in a respectful and non-personal way.

If somebody offends you, the best way is to just ignore it. "Trolls" love to start trouble, but if they are ignored it won't be too long before they get bored and move on. If you really feel you must reply, as others have said, do it as a PM.