Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This question isn't meant to provoke anybody, I'm just curious what further musicals, not in the line-up, that folks would want to add to the must-see list.

My first addition would be Love Me Tonight (1932), with Jeanette MacDonald and Maurice Chevalier, directed by Rouben Mamoulian.  Casually described as the best Lubitsch film that wasn't a Lubitsch film.  It also been characterized as the first 'modern' musical, the first to get beyond the static, stagy presentations of the first film musicals. I find it gloriously witty, rhythmic even in the spoken dialogue.

• Like 5

I personally would add Frank Tashlin's comedic musicals into this retrospective as his candy-colored delights are both well-crafted satires and entertainingly respectful tributes; notice how The Girl Can't Help It loves the musicians whilst making fun of the industry at the same time! Another addition that I would make would be showcasing some more recent musicals that either deconstruct the genre [Pennies From Heaven, Dancer In The Dark], radicalize the genre into being countercultural [The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Little Shop Of Horrors], exploit the genre by not understanding its charms [Moulin Rouge!, Phantom Of The Opera] or revitalize the genre into a loving tribute [Chicago, La La Land]. I would also add in Jacques Demy's musicals as they perfectly capture the moviegoing experience with their flamboyant colors and emotional attachment; see The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg and Donkey Skin if you don't believe me. Bollywood musicals are their entire genre altogether - maybe TCM should do a course on those to expose more people to that completely different universe. 

• Like 4

I think it would have been interesting to compare and contrast the 1936 version of Show Boat with the 1951 which is being shown.

I was a little disappointed, but not surprised that there are few musicals from Fox.   I imagine that's due to rights issues.  I would also be interested in a more academic take on the progression of the Fox blondes from Alice Faye to Betty Grable to Marilyn Monroe.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Some Jacques Demy would be interesting (Les Parapluies de Cherbourg,Les Demoiselles de Rochefort). His work would provide a European perspective while being, in some ways, an homage to the Hollywood musical.

• Like 1

I would add:

Funny Face

White Christmas

The Pajama Game 

I also think adding some of the animated musical films would be interesting as well. 

For modern musicals, I would add: Moulin Rouge! (2001), Across the Universe (2007), Sweeney Todd (2007), maybe Dreamgirls (2006).  La La Land (2016) was terrible.  It maybe could have been better if actors who could actually sing and dance were cast.  I cannot remember anything about the film except for Emma Stone's yellow dress and her Ingrid Bergman poster in her apartment. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I would add:

Funny Face

White Christmas

The Pajama Game 

I also think adding some of the animated musical films would be interesting as well. 

For modern musicals, I would add: Moulin Rouge! (2001), Across the Universe (2007), Sweeney Todd (2007), maybe Dreamgirls (2006).  La La Land (2016) was terrible.  It maybe could have been better if actors who could actually sing and dance were cast.  I cannot remember anything about the film except for Emma Stone's yellow dress and her Ingrid Bergman poster in her apartment. 

Rent perhaps? or pretty much any ALW?

They're missing musicals from my favorite studio, Republic Pictures:

BRAZIL (1944) is fantastic; it's one of those good neighbor policy films with energetic numbers and south of the border specialty acts; plus the comic relief is a lot of fun.
ATLANTIC CITY (1944) is another excellent musical from Republic with specialty acts from Dorothy Dandridge and Louis Armstrong. 
I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU (1946) is a musical romance and was Republic's only production in Technicolor. It's sumptuously made by director Frank Borzage.
LAKE PLACID SERENADE (1944) one of Republic's ice skating musicals. In fact there are no ice skating musicals on this course schedule at all which seems a huge oversight.
ROSIE THE RIVETER (1944) is an excellent morale booster (patriotic musical comedy) with Jane Frazee. Wartime feminism which gives us new insights into that era.

And I'm not even getting into the many singing cowboy westerns Republic made with Gene Autry and Roy Rogers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KingRichardLionofJudah said:

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Fiddler on the Roof

Little Shop of Horrors

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF is airing on the 28th of June. So it's included!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At least a couple of the previous courses occurred over two months.  Based on how much territory is left uncovered by this course, they certainly could have used 2 months this time around.  It also occurs to me that it might have useful to organize the weeks by studio, rather than decade.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, BlueMoods said:

Rent perhaps? or pretty much any ALW?

I don't know.  I haven't seen Rent.  I haven't seen any Broadway musicals.  I primarily enjoy musicals that are dancing oriented.  If they're all singing, then the songs must be really catchy for me to be entertained.  I find many of the Rodgers/Hammerstein films to be horribly boring.  South Pacific was excruciating, even though I really like Mitzi Gaynor.  I think it's also because people like Kathryn Grayson tend to be cast in the all singing musical films and her singing just grates on my nerves.  

As for the rest of Webber's work, I can't say, I haven't seen it.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't know.  I haven't seen Rent.  I haven't seen any Broadway musicals.  I primarily enjoy musicals that are dancing oriented.  If they're all singing, then the songs must be really catchy for me to be entertained.  I find many of the Rodgers/Hammerstein films to be horribly boring.  South Pacific was excruciating, even though I really like Mitzi Gaynor.  I think it's also because people like Kathryn Grayson tend to be cast in the all singing musical films and her singing just grates on my nerves.  

As for the rest of Webber's work, I can't say, I haven't seen it.  

R&H is generally better on stage but Oklahoma is the exception to me. Maybe something to do with the fact that it was "born" the same year I was. :) If you've seen and liked Jesus Christ Superstar, you would probably like Rent. My first exposure was the movie, which my son had on DVD. I didn't like it at first but after his watching it 20 times in a row it started to grow on me, lol, and I actually liked it very much. Great movie! (Although, again, I thought it was much better on stage). Check it out if you're so inclined. There's also a DVD of the final performance on Broadway, which really does give you a sense of being right there in theater watching it live.

• Like 1

I'd include some foreign musicals like from Jacques Demy or Frank Schöbel. European musicals were often heavily influenced by American ones and it would be an interesting contrast.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Suzanne1228 said:

I think it would have been interesting to compare and contrast the 1936 version of Show Boat with the 1951 which is being shown.

I'd be even more interested if they showed the especially obscure 1929 version.

Our instructor would certainly find something to say about that, as it was allegedly the first film to include Foley.

• Like 1