Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

In fact there are no ice skating musicals on this course schedule at all which seems a huge oversight.

Huge?  How many ice skating musicals were there, that didn't feature Sonja Henie? (And it's not like she did that many either.)

1 hour ago, Chuck V. said:

Huge?  How many ice skating musicals were there, that didn't feature Sonja Henie? (And it's not like she did that many either.)

It was a sub-genre of the musical. A fair number of them were produced. Sonja Henie was not the only star on ice. Others were Vera Ralston and Belita. Leaving them off the schedule, when one could easily have been included, is seen as a "huge" oversight by fans of ice skating musicals. :)

• Like 2

I would have to add Young Frankenstein to the list. I have see the movie and also have had the privlige of beeing in my Local Community Theaters production of this a few years back, the music is amazing and a chalange to lean. There are others that i agree with others that should be included, West Side Story, Oklahoma, Sound of Music just to name a few. 

• Like 1

I'm with Suzanne about the two versions of "Showboat".  I prefer the 1936 version.  I didn't like changes to song lyrics in the 1951 version.  In "Life Upon the Wicked Stage", originally, the last line was, "I got virtue, but it ain't been tested.  No one's even interested."  In the 1951 version, it's "I got talent, but it ain't been tested.  No one's even interested."  Changing the lyrics doesn't make sense to me.  Didn't they realize she was saying she HAS virtue (although not by choice)?

Other movies I suggest:  "The Music Man", "Yellow Submarine", "Grease", and "Xanadu"

• Like 1

White Christmas, Mary Poppins, Jesus Christ Superstar, Hair, The King and I, The Sound of Music.

I'd also like to see some of the newer musicals like Mamma Mia!, The Phantom of the Opera, Yentl, Evita, Newsies, Little Shop of Horrors, Grease, and A Chorus Line.

I second Love Me Tonight. I do not care for either Jeanette MacDonald or Maurice Chevalier, usually, but it is a delightful movie. Howard Ashman was clearly inspired by the opening of this musical for Beauty and the Beast's opening song. And Jeanette singing a love song to her horse is hilarious.

I was disappointed to see not many modern musicals. Where is All that Jazz, or Moulin Rouge?

• Like 1

I understand why so many Fox musicals were excluded since they prefer to save everything for their own network, but I'm shocked neither Jesus Christ Superstar nor The Slipper and the Rose were included, films TCM has shown in the past. It would've been fascinating to compare and contrast how Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell (the latter of which is included in the lineup) approach the Gospel narrative. Also, The Slipper and the Rose (like 1776) is a 70s musical that feels more at home with the elaborate presentations of the 60s and as such, feels like the ending of an era. 

I'd love to see some of the old Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis movies featuring music. Maybe those don't qualify as musicals, but I sure loved them.  Ohhhh, that just made me think of one of my favorite Jerry Lewis (sans Martin) movies, Rock-a-Bye Baby. It had a beautiful duet in it with Jerry and Salvatore Baccaloni: Dormi, Dormi, Dormi. I could listen to it all day.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, jawz63 said:

I don’t think that TCM has the rights to some of the movies mentioned. 

I'd bet the farm that that's the case for the vast majority of these titles. With more and more services and channels focusing on acquiring and licensing IP, it's got to be much more difficult for TCM to easily and economically show movies that it doesn't already have the rights to.

I'm sure there's something in the fine print of contracts, but I do think it's weird that Filmstruck currently has a number of musicals that aren't scheduled to air--e.g. Singin' in the rain.

2 hours ago, KarenLucille said:

I'd love to see some of the old Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis movies featuring music. Maybe those don't qualify as musicals, but I sure loved them.  Ohhhh, that just made me think of one of my favorite Jerry Lewis (sans Martin) movies, Rock-a-Bye Baby. It had a beautiful duet in it with Jerry and Salvatore Baccaloni: Dormi, Dormi, Dormi. I could listen to it all day.

I love SCARED STIFF, because we get those great Carmen Miranda numbers. They have nothing to do with the main plot and seem randomly inserted to break up the action, but gosh they're fun! It was Miranda's last movie.

On 6/3/2018 at 9:28 AM, speedracer5 said:

La La Land (2016) was terrible.  It maybe could have been better if actors who could actually sing and dance were cast. 

I hear ya, Speedracer5. I had such high hopes for La La Land as the music/songs were quite memorable but casting Ryan and Emma as the leads left so much to be desired. Don't read my next comment, folks, if you haven't seen the movie - Spoiler Alert: When they got to the finale of La La Land, all I could think about was how much I miss Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell in Begin the Beguine and how this modern "musical" couldn't compete with the brilliance of the original performers. Just recreating a beautiful set isn't enough when your leads are not up to professional standards of dancing. One can auto-tune someone's voice these days but dancing is an Art that can't be faked well. While several times I've seen the dramatic set from Let's Face the Music and Dance (F & G's Follow the Fleet) recreated, those were better because they were either set up as a comedy homage (Pennies from Heaven) where you didn't expect the dancing to compare to the original or were a fantasy element (The Shape of Water).  I don't know why they cast Emma Stone when there are other actresses who have studied dance and are much more graceful.

5 minutes ago, StarstruckKidTurnedPro said:

I hear ya, Speedracer5. I had such high hopes for La La Land as the music/songs were quite memorable but casting Ryan and Emma as the leads left so much to be desired. Don't read my next comment, folks, if you haven't seen the movie - Spoiler Alert: When they got to the finale of La La Land, all I could think about was how much I miss Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell in Begin the Beguine and how this modern "musical" couldn't compete with the brilliance of the original performers. Just recreating a beautiful set isn't enough when your leads are not up to professional standards of dancing. One can auto-tune someone's voice these days but dancing is an Art that can't be faked well. While several times I've seen the dramatic set from Let's Face the Music and Dance (F & G's Follow the Fleet) recreated, those were better because they were either set up as a comedy homage (Pennies from Heaven) where you didn't expect the dancing to compare to the original or were a fantasy element (The Shape of Water).  I don't know why they cast Emma Stone when there are other actresses who have studied dance and are much more graceful.

Because they aren't stars and probably can't act as well in terms of modern film acting...

La La Land certainly isn't perfect, and I ride hard for Moonlight, but I never got people hating it. Just like how okay...I wasn't in love with The Shape of Water, but it was still fine.

21 hours ago, StarstruckKidTurnedPro said:

Aside from Emma Stone (who I actually don't mind, except in this film), I just don't know what Ryan Gosling's appeal is.  He was so dull in this movie.

• Like 1