Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I would have liked some more modern references, RHPS was already mentioned, but not Phantom of the Paradise or Tommy. The teeny bopper category is also lacking, no Annette or Elvis. Also no Shirley Temple. Musicals are such a wide spread field, that I am sure this list could keep growing.

It might be nice to add a fifth week of post-60's musicals.  There are quite a few to choose from:

• The Boyfriend
  • Saturday Night Fever
  • The Muppet Movie
  • Pennies from Heaven
  • Victor/Victoria
  • Dirty Dancing
  • Footloose
  • Purple Rain
  • Xanadu
  • Tommy
  • Cabaret
  • Chicago
  • New York, New York
  • Funny Lady
  • Nashville
  • Love's Labor's Lost
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, ScarlettLetter said:

Tommy. The teeny bopper category is also lacking, no Annette or Elvis. Also no Shirley Temple. Musicals are such a wide spread field, that I am sure this list could keep growing.

Tommy plays on the 28th. Beach Party and Viva Las Vegas are on the 26th. Stowaway (with Shirley Temple) is on tonight. 

25 minutes ago, Jim K said:

It might be nice to add a fifth week of post-60's musicals.  There are quite a few to choose from:

You can catch The Boy Friend and Cabaret on the 28th.

I think with deciding what movies are missing, there is a difference between a musical and movies that have a lot of music in them.  For me, I consider a movie a musical when the songs help progress the storyline or fill in character background or what not.  A movie like Footloose (for example), I personally wouldn't consider it a musical, because the songs in the film are there to serve as a soundtrack for some of the dancing scenes.  The songs themselves do not progress the storyline or fill in any character details. The songs accompany the action.

On 6/5/2018 at 2:58 PM, BWAYBBY18 said:

I would love to see Alexander's Ragtime Band or any of the other Alice Faye films on the list. Some amazing singing for Hollywood stars! 

I agree. Alice Faye is my favorite musical star. Her singing voice is unmatched. She's so good in LILLIAN RUSSELL and in HELLO FRISCO HELLO where she performed the Oscar-winning song You'll Never Know:

• Like 1

Many of my favorites are showing this month but so many more are not.  I love Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner in The King and I...great chemistry there!  Carousel is another I love if only for "You'll Never Walk Alone"-always makes me cry.  The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins are childhood favorites that I saw on the big screen when they first were released!  (Fiddler on the Roof too but it was on the schedule!)  And then there are all the Betty Grable and Dan Dailey films that I loved watching on TV on Sunday afternoons like Mother Wore Tights and When My Baby Smiles At Me...It was fun to see Betty in some of the early musicals when she was just starting out-I'd seen some of the films before but was focused on Fred and Ginger and didn't even know that a young Betty was in them! 

7 hours ago, Jim K said:

• The Boyfriend
  • Saturday Night Fever
  • The Muppet Movie
  • Pennies from Heaven
  • Victor/Victoria
  • Dirty Dancing
  • Footloose
  • Purple Rain
  • Xanadu
  • Tommy
  • Cabaret
  • Chicago