Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I’ve only skimmed the sylllabus so I may have missed this, but how many actual video lectures are there? What is the length of each? And approximately, what is the size of a typical video lecture? (Gigs of data are precious out here in the land of use-your-phone-as-a-hotspot internet.)

Also, the syllabus recommends a high speed data connection for taking the quizzes. What is your definition of “high speed?”

Thanks!

EDIT: Lectures released M-TH; 10-15 mins. So I read the syllabus more carefully! 

Still would like to know the approx. data size of each lecture.

Good question Marica. The course is served through Arc Media Player, which means that all the videos are streaming. You cannot actually download the film - it will stream on your phone, just like Netflix. While I am not certain how all the plans work, the videos are all between 12 and 15 minutes, so that is the amount of time it will take to watch one time, and there are 4 video lectures a week, or a total of one hour of streaming time. Then there are also Daily Doses, but those clips are all less than 5 minutes each. So I would also encourage phone users to try to watch the course while connected to wifi, which usually doesn't cost the same as cellular data. Hope this helps. 

High speed just means decent wi-fi connection. If your cell signal is going in and out then I wouldn't open the quiz until I had a stable wifi or cell signal. 

9 minutes ago, Dr. Rich Edwards said:

If your cell signal is going in and out then I wouldn't open the quiz until I had a stable wifi or cell signal. 

Is it not going to be possible to re-take the quizzes?

In previous courses, the video lectures were eventually proceeded with a transcript of the lecture. I found this to be a wonderful tool for the times I was unable to stream.  I seem to recall the transcript were made available a day or so after the video lecture. Will this be an option with this course?

• Like 1

Thanks to Rich & StudioFan for responses. Transcripts of the lectures would be most useful.

I’d still like to know the file size of the lectures though. It’s not an issue of connectivity but of data useage. If any techie folks out there know how much data will be used by streaming 4 hours of lectures I’d appreciate your letting me know.

58 minutes ago, StudioFan said:

In previous courses, the video lectures were eventually proceeded with a transcript of the lecture. I found this to be a wonderful tool for the times I was unable to stream.  I seem to recall the transcript were made available a day or so after the video lecture. Will this be an option with this course?

I agree about transcripts. They are quite useful. We didn't really have transcripts in film noir, as much as I was reading a lecture that I wrote. As our lecture model has evolved, we haven't found a way to really do transcripts for our more conversation-based lectures. I will continue to look into options, but basically, transcripts most likely won't be available this time around as we don't have a transcription service option available to us at this time.

I am doing this course solely on a laptop.  How do I access to get those "streaming" clips?  I am usually pretty tech savvy and adequately intelligent but I am starting to feel like a bit of a dunce!  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

In the Modules for the course (modules are one of the choices in the left hand menu in Canvas), the video clips are located under different tabs on the modules page.

In the example below, if you click on Daily Dose #1 (this is just a screenshot, you have to be in the Modules on the course at Canvas.net to actually click on that tab), it will bring you to a new page that has an embedded media player. And you can watch the clip right on that page, very similar to watching a YouTube clip. 

Hope this helps!

1125316385_ScreenShot2018-06-04at2_43_41PM.png.873d035ce525dfe02b98d67132eff093.png

On 6/4/2018 at 1:52 PM, Dr. Rich Edwards said:

I agree about transcripts. They are quite useful. We didn't really have transcripts in film noir, as much as I was reading a lecture that I wrote. As our lecture model has evolved, we haven't found a way to really do transcripts for our more conversation-based lectures. I will continue to look into options, but basically, transcripts most likely won't be available this time around as we don't have a transcription service option available to us at this time.

I agree that transcripts of the video/conversation lectures would be very useful. This is my fourth film class with Ball State/Canvas/TCM (Dr. Edwards, I started with your film noir class!), and I have found the video lectures to be very informative and entertaining, too.

The good news here is that it sounds like you are planning future film classes. Yay!!!