Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moorman

Name your top 20 Westerns of All Time

Indeed many do choose to style it that way, and I wouldn't want to try to restrict them even if I could. Let people think and speak freely, each according to their abilities. I support that gladly. I'm just saying that the better way to consider questions like, 'What is this kind of film?' are answered from this other perspective I'm pointing out. What happens when genre boundaries are drawn along content-objects in the story? Fans wind up thrashing around in circles. There's no end to it.

42 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Indeed many do choose to style it that way, and I wouldn't want to try to restrict them even if I could. Let people think and speak freely, each according to their abilities. I support that gladly. I'm just saying that the better way to consider questions like, 'What is this kind of film?' are answered from this other perspective I'm pointing out. What happens when genre boundaries are drawn along content-objects in the story? Fans wind up thrashing around in circles. There's no end to it.

I agree with this as well as how you stated why BDABR wasn't a western;  to me it was your most well written post to date (as it relates to me fully understanding what you were trying to communicate).

I salute you.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that kind word. Y'know, I'd like to get back into discussing westerns. Maybe I'll have to actually create some threads. It could be a terra firma where Uncle Joe Grandi and Vargas see more eye-to-eye.

14 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Indeed many do choose to style it that way, and I wouldn't want to try to restrict them even if I could. Let people think and speak freely, each according to their abilities. I support that gladly. I'm just saying that the better way to consider questions like, 'What is this kind of film?' are answered from this other perspective I'm pointing out. What happens when genre boundaries are drawn along content-objects in the story? Fans wind up thrashing around in circles. There's no end to.

I hate to point out the ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM, but WHERE is YOUR Top 20 Westerns list? 😃

I haven't seen some of those mentioned.  Off what I've seen:

1.   High Noon

2.   My Darling Clementine

3.   The Magnificent Seven

4.   Ride the High Country.......Very underrated

5.   Red River

6.   How the West was Won

7.   Pale Rider

8.   The Tin Star......To me, also very underrated......

9.   The Searchers........imo, somewhat overrated on most lists....

10.  Shane

11.  The Treasure of Sierra Madre

12.  Butch Cassidy...............not as good as it seemed in the '70s

13.  Cat Ballou....(re: Jane's boobs are worth a spot on this list....)

14.  The Ox-Bow Incident........imo, overrated on most lists, because everything in the movie is predictable

15.  Stagecoach.........overrated on most lists

16.  Evil Roy Slade

17.  Destry Rides Again

18.  The Assassination of Jesse James...

19.  The Wild Bunch..................overrated on most lists

20.  She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Some of these could be termed western-themed rather than true westerns.......

When I say 'overrated', I'm not saying its a bad movie, just that I don't think its not as good as advertised, imo

9 minutes ago, mushroomgod said:

When I say 'overrated', I'm not saying its a bad movie, just that I don't think its not as good as advertised, imo

In that case, everything on your list ranked higher than it is on my own list is overrated.;):lol:

Just kidding with ya, and welcome to the boards. Good choices, although I wasn't as fond of either The Tin Star or Evil Roy Slade.

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

In that case, everything on your list ranked higher than it is on my own list is overrated.;):lol:

Just kidding with ya, and welcome to the boards. Good choices, although I wasn't as fond of either The Tin Star or Evil Roy Slade.

I thought Fonda & Perkins were really good in The Tin Star....the plot wasn't of much substance....was that your issue with it?

The one western I haven't seen that I really want to see is Once Again Upon a Time in the West....I don't remember ever seeing it being scheduled on TCM or AMC............

3 hours ago, mushroomgod said:

I thought Fonda & Perkins were really good in The Tin Star....the plot wasn't of much substance....was that your issue with it?

The one western I haven't seen that I really want to see is Once Again Upon a Time in the West....I don't remember ever seeing it being scheduled on TCM or AMC............

I'm a big fan of The Tin Star.   Perfect role for Fonda and Perkins does well in a role that wasn't the best fit for his persona.     As noted the plot falls under been-there-seen-that (especially the character played by Neville Brand),  but that doesn't drag the film down for me.

Warlock, Stagecoach, The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez, Fort Apache, Jesse James (the one in color with William Holden and Tyrone Power) ... ... ...

Here’s my top twenty westerns in no real order.

1. Unforgiven

2. Once Upon a Time In the West

3. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

4. How the West Was Won

5. The Wild Bunch

6. The Outlaw Josey Wales

7. The Searchers

8. Shane

9. High Noon

10. Silverado

11. My Name Is Nobody

12. Stagecoach

13. The Magnificent Seven

14. The Big Country

15. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

16. The Shootist

17. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

18. Dances With Wolves

19. The Naked Spur

20. Winchester 77

So many to name so here’s some honorable mentions; The Ballad Of Cable Hogue, For a Few Dollars More, Pale Rider, True Grit(both versions), The Man From Laramie, 7 Men From Now, The Shadow Riders, 3:10 to Yuma, Pat Garret and Billy the Kid, Fort Apache, Cheyenne Autumn, Duck You Sucker, The Hateful Eight, The Texas Rangers and of course, Blazing Saddles!  Westerns are easily one of my favorite genres!

• Like 1

I don't think I can come up with 20, but....:

The Magnificent Seven (1960)

The Big Country

The Man who Shot Liberty Valence

High Noon

Gunfight at the OK Corral

How the West was Won

The Wild Bunch

The Professionals

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Once Upon a Time in the West

Rio Bravo

The Ballad of Cable Hogue

Unforgiven

For a Few Dollars More

3:10 to Yuma (1957)

My Darling Clementine

Stagecoach

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

High Plains Drifter

Pale Rider

Well, I made it! 20 of them! Seen them all and they are all great, but not listed in any particular order.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 4:28 PM, Moorman said:

Here is a list i compiled sometime last year.  The only change i made is i entered " The Great Silence " into my list and it immediately became #1 on my list.  (disclaimers) I intentionally left off westerns made after 1970.  High Plains drifter, Unforgiven and a few others i really like). 

1. The Great Silence.  Just edges out OUTITW.   The rawness and the ending are what give it the edge.

2. Once Upon a Time in the West.  One of the all time best movies across any genre.

3. The Oxbow Incident.  Another masterpiece.  Subject matter keeps this movie low profile.

4. My Darling Clementine.  A movie i didn't particularly care about at first. Then i watched it a second time.  A masterpiece.

5. High Noon.  The simplicity of the plot. The tension. The cinematography.  The music.  My favorite Gary Cooper performance.

6. For A Few Dollars More.  Captain Mortimer. Indio.  My favorite of the 3 Eastwood sphagetti's made with Leone.

7. The Wild Bunch.  The realism of the action in this movie seperates it from every western ever made.

8.  3:10 to Yuma. (1957). My favorite performances from Van Heflin and Glenn Ford. A excellent plot and cinematography make this a masterpiece.

9. Red River.  The cattle drive. John Wayne. Walter Brennan. Montgomery Cliff. The cinematography.  Another masterpiece.

10. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.  I love the different moral lessons touched upon in this movie. Great performances from Wayne, Stewart, Strode and Marvin. 

11. The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.  Great western. Great performances. Felt it was too long and had some implausible moments.

12. The Westerner.  Walter Brennan as a bad heavy was impressive in this one. I loved Cooper in this also. Great ending.

13. Stagecoach. A masterpiece. What else needs to be said?

14. Rawhide.  A greatly underrated western.  Probably the best western that shows how the old stagecoach stages worked.  My favorite Jack Elam western.  Very well done.

15. Death Rides a Horse.  This is the best non Leone sphagetti western i have seen thus far.  Its the closest to what he did. The tone and everything matched up. If Eastwood had played the part that John Phillip Law did, I'm certain this would have been considered a greater film than it already is.

16. The Gunfighter.  My favorite Gregory Peck film.  I love simple plots. Another great tension film. 

17. The Big Gundown.  I didn't particularly like Tuco in GBU, but if Eli Wallach had played Tomia's part ( I like Milan though), this one would have been a more well known western).

18. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. If not for the 3rd wheel romance that i felt bogged the middle of the movie down, this could've been a top 10 western.

19. Ride the High Country.  I may be rating this lower on my list than i should. This is the ONLY Randolph Scott western i like. Joel McCrea was good here too.

20. The Big Country.  Peck, Ives, Connors, Heston. This was a epic western that was pretty good.

Honorable Mention:

The Fastest Gun Alive.  A plot very similar to The Gunfighter. A great western.

A Fist Full of Dollars.  Leone was learning with this one. Still a great movie.

Barquero.  This movie might need to be higher on my list.  One of Warren Oate's best films.  Reminds me of High Plains Drifter.

The Professionals.  This movie might need to be higher on  my list.

Winchester 73.  A very well done western.  One of the two westerns i like that Stewart made.

Gunman's walk. I liked this western. Another underrated one.

The Man from Laramie. Very good western by stewart.

Yellow Sky.  ( haven't finished watching this one, but it has signs of maybe pushing into my top 20).

Sabatha.  Take the Wild West West stuff out of this film and replace it with a more straight forward tone and this would've been a great Van Cleef film.

The Baron of Arizona.  Saw the last few scenes. I know this will be higher once i get to review the whole film.

"The Professionals. This movie might need to be higher on my list" I think so too!👍

• Like 1

My top 20 Westerns:

The Searchers, Shane, Stage Coach, Tombstone, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Duel in the Sun, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Magnificent 7 (with Yul Brynner), Red River, Westward the Women, Legends of the Fall, Young Guns, Fort Apache, Winchester '73,  Giant, Dodge City, Cimarron (with Glenn Ford), How the West Was Won, McClintock, True Grit with Jeff Bridges, Brokeback Mountain, My Darling Clementine.

Honorable Mentions: Sergeant Rutledge, The Big Country

• Like 1