Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BlueMoods

Live Events/Video Conferencing

Is this a requirement to successfully complete the course? I've only done videoconferencing once for a short-term job I had and I wasn't really comfortable doing it. Not so much the interacting with others, although as Princess Winifred (Carol Burnett) belted out in Once Upon a Mattress: I'm shyyyyyyyyyyy :D

But it's more the whole technology of it. I'm very old school (read: old) and don't want to install anything on my computer that I don't absolutely have to. But I will if it stands between me and a certificate of completion.

• Thanks 1

I don't think it's fully necessary.  I only did a skype-centric course for the last part of 50 Years of Hitchcock.   I'm not that much of a social media person anyway

I'm with you, BlueMoods.  I'm not good with videoconferencing. I don't do Facebook.  I just signed up with Twitter for this course but haven't used it yet.  Helpppppp!

I saw it mentioned in the syllabus and look forward to having one in the future, as long as everyone can mute their mics. Nothing more annoying then chickens squawking, dogs barking, and people yelling at their kids in the background while someone is speaking.

3 minutes ago, ShanStinson said:

I saw it mentioned in the syllabus and look forward to having one in the future, as long as everyone can mute their mics. Nothing more annoying then chickens squawking, dogs barking, and people yelling at their kids in the background while someone is speaking.

I've transcribed video lectures that were made at the professor's home. You can hear all sorts of things in the background. One time a there was a dog barking and the professor had to pause the lecture to ask her husband to let the dog out. 

On my short-lived job I was working remotely for a call center and we weren't allowed to have any ambient sounds whatsoever. I live in a ground floor apartment and I got written up because the landlord was talking to another tenant out in our yard and my supervisor could hear them. Like I had any control over that! I got her point but there was nothing I could do about it. I didn't stay with that job for long.

• Haha 1

I can relate. I used to work for Amazon from home as a CSA. During our training, on a call, someone yelled about their friend being arrested and needing to be bailed out of jail. That was the same training class that had squawking chickens.

I participate in a weekly video conference using the Zoom platform. Participants are muted until the moderator unmutes them. This helps cut down on excessive noise from having too many open mics.

• Like 1