Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies you almost despair of seeing on TCM


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I gave up on seeing "The Passenger" so finally just ordered the dvd. It was not quite as exciting as I thought it might be. Now "If..." would be fun to see again with Malcolm.

If. . .(1968)  is available for viewing on YT.  We have been fortunate enough to have seen O Lucky Man! (1973) on TCM.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

If they ever show "Salo" I will eat my shoes!

Hopefully I can find some made out of licorice like Chaplin's if this does happen. I would just be amazed...and probably be in an old folks' home by the time this occurs, due to rampant nudity and situations that go way beyond things like even "In the Realm of the Senses", "Clockwork Orange", "I Am Curious...Yellow or Blue" or anything I've ever seen. "Salo" makes "The Devil in Miss Jones*" look like a kindergarten movie by comparison.

*Do not confuse with "The Devil and Miss Jones" with Jean Arthur.

 

Okay, color me stupid or something, but if this movie is so 'hot', how could it be allowed to play on TCM?

About your shoes. The good news is your feet would smell like licorice. Bad news is they could turn black.

Now I'm thinking Lucy and Ethel, in the I Love Lucy episode where they stomp grapes.

I'm sure "A Place For Mom," (Joan Lunden TV ads) can get you a retirement village with TCM.

I enjoy your wisdom and your humor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, slaytonf said:

The Website is wrong.  I told you I recorded Trois Couleurs: Rouge and An Autumn Afternoon.  I said I was unsure of . . . .America.  But I think it was.

Every little bit of feedback helps.  Both foreign titles.  I'm not surprised.

The first one, Red, is easy for me to see what happened.  A matching error on my part.  I do have this one in my source files, so it is easily confirmed.

I don't see An Autumn Afternoon anywhere.  Could you confirm the year-month this aired?

Same for Once Upon a Time in America.

 

P.S. I only came across this by chance, as I don't read all the threads.  If you want me to see something, put it into here
http://forums.tcm.com/topic/185669-the-when-was-the-last-time-a-movie-played-on-tcm-thread/
or here
http://forums.tcm.com/topic/48504-tcm-premieres/
or PM me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 3:13 AM, skimpole said:

Well none of the movies you mention have been on TCM, according to this website http://moviecollector.us/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm   

There might be some confusion:  TCM has show White and Blue, but not Red.  It has shown Early Spring, Late Spring, Early Summer, The End of Summer, and Late Autumn, but not An Autumn Afternoon.  AMC actually did show the uncut version of Once Upon a Time in America sometime this decade.

I'm not familiar with that list you posted (theyshootpictures.com).  Did they use my website, or did you manually go through and check all their entries with mine?  Either way, that was a lot of work for someone... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I'm not familiar with that list you posted (theyshootpictures.com).  Did they use my website, or did you manually go through and check all their entries with mine?  Either way, that was a lot of work for someone... 

I went through it manually.  And just to confirm, TCM has in fact shown Red and you forgot to include it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 16, 2018 at 3:08 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

Every little bit of feedback helps.  Both foreign titles.  I'm not surprised.

The first one, Red, is easy for me to see what happened.  A matching error on my part.  I do have this one in my source files, so it is easily confirmed.

I don't see An Autumn Afternoon anywhere.  Could you confirm the year-month this aired?

Same for Once Upon a Time in America.

 

P.S. I only came across this by chance, as I don't read all the threads.  If you want me to see something, put it into here
http://forums.tcm.com/topic/185669-the-when-was-the-last-time-a-movie-played-on-tcm-thread/
or here
http://forums.tcm.com/topic/48504-tcm-premieres/
or PM me.

 

I don't have a date for recording An Autumn Afternoon.  I've looked thru my monthly skeds as far back as I could stand it and didn't find any listing.  But TCM is the only channel I record from.  At present it's a mystery how I have it.  I'll keep ruminating.

I was never sure abut Once Upon a Time in America.  I know I've seen it, at least the first twenty minuted or so, because I didn't like it and didn't watch the whole movie--notwithstanding it was one by Sergio Leone.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once Upon a Time in America is a masterpiece, in my opinion, but you've got to commit to the four-hour version. i would hope the butchered, nonsensical shorter versions aren't even commercially available anymore, except used. I can understand how they way it begins might not be everybody's cup of tea, if the mystery of that incessantly ringing phone doesn't draw you in. But I would urge you to give it another chance! I've often hoped TCM would show it, though there's some pretty graphic nudity and sexual situations that would probably shunt it off to the middle of the night.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Once Upon a Time in America is a masterpiece, in my opinion, but you've got to commit to the four-hour version. i would hope the butchered, nonsensical shorter versions aren't even commercially available anymore, except used. I can understand how they way it begins might not be everybody's cup of tea, if the mystery of that incessantly ringing phone doesn't draw you in. But I would urge you to give it another chance! I've often hoped TCM would show it, though there's some pretty graphic nudity and sexual situations that would probably shunt it off to the middle of the night.

If I run into it again, I will.  I don't remember much of the movie, except that as I watched it, I was disappointed in not seeing the visual magic that was in his other work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

I don't have a date for recording An Autumn Afternoon.  I've looked thru my monthly skeds as far back as I could stand it and didn't find any listing.  But TCM is the only channel I record from.  At present it's a mystery how I have it.  I'll keep ruminating.

I was never sure abut Once Upon a Time in America.  I know I've seen it, at least the first twenty minuted or so, because I didn't like it and didn't watch the whole movie--notwithstanding it was one by Sergio Leone.  

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  I just thought there might have been a recording date on your actual recording.  Also, there might be the chance it was switched out for something else, and you might not have noticed until now (I have discovered a couple times that I did that) - in which case you could verify by simply popping your recording in and watching for the correct opening credits.  Failing that, there is still a chance it didn't get into my system just because it wasn't in the schedule at any of the times of capture - an increasingly more narrow possibility as I get better data in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dhardhag said:

Has TCM ever shown “Beyond the Forest”.  Turner used to have it in their library—they ran it occasionally on TNT.

I thought this question had already been answered in this thread, otherwise I would have responded sooner. I guess it was answered in another thread! Apparently Beyond the Forest did indeed have a single airing on TCM in November, 1994. It appears to be one of those movies tied up in some sort of legal limbo, possibly with the estate of the author of the source material? I'm not sure if it's from a play or a novel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at that big list of titles never shown on TCM, many I'm not too surprised about. Many are newer, foreign, and many come with graphic content that would make them suitable for only late night viewing ... But it is shocking that John Huston's swansong The Dead has not been seen. Its a period piece, very delicate, would fit in very well on TCM, especially on St. Patrick's Day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Looking at that big list of titles never shown on TCM, many I'm not too surprised about. Many are newer, foreign, and many come with graphic content that would make them suitable for only late night viewing ... But it is shocking that John Huston's swansong The Dead has not been seen. Its a period piece, very delicate, would fit in very well on TCM, especially on St. Patrick's Day.

I double-checked and was able to verify that The Dead actually did play back in June 2010.  I've added this one in by hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not entirely sure what the OP means by "movies you almost despair of seeing on TCM".

For movies I have never seen on TCM and I feel despair believing that I never will, I pick "All The Way Home" from Paramount Pictures in 1963. Very moving. It was actually on VHS, and back when there was such a thing as a late movie it played quite frequently. It is set in a southern town, and it has been so long since I've seen it I am now wondering if there is some racial aspect to it that would prevent anybody from airing it.

For movies that I see scheduled on TCM for which I feel despair I have several picks - From Here to Eternity, North By Northwest, Ben Hur, and most of all Around the World in 80 days. In the case of the last two, they are too long and have been on just too many times for me to want to see them again.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I'm not entirely sure what the OP means by "movies you almost despair of seeing on TCM".

You've hoped to see it.  You've posted about it any number of times.  You've entered it in Suggest a Movie.  Time passes.  Years.  And you think, almost, it will never air on TCM.  

That's what I meant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2018 at 3:54 PM, jimmymac71 said:

Okay, color me stupid or something, but if this movie is so 'hot', how could it be allowed to play on TCM?

About your shoes. The good news is your feet would smell like licorice. Bad news is they could turn black.

Now I'm thinking Lucy and Ethel, in the I Love Lucy episode where they stomp grapes.

I'm sure "A Place For Mom," (Joan Lunden TV ads) can get you a retirement village with TCM.

I enjoy your wisdom and your humor.

Hey, Jimmy! It's hard to go into detail about "Salo" due to its excruciatingly sadistic plotlines, but the word "hot" in its usual sexual sense does not apply. The film is more of an expose of political and psychosexual manipulations in a fascist regime. The sex is used not for the usual purposes of titillation or arousal but in more of a power structure way with dog eat dog tendencies. It is not really a film which would play well on tv, which is why I really don't see it ever playing on TCM. The elements of debauchery would never probably be seen in the light they were intended by director Pasolini. I purchased "Salo" mostly because I'd read about it numerous times and also thought it might go out of print, and like to see things people like to ban. I've only watched it once as it is a bit rough, but even with numerous events which on the surface would appear to be sexual, I can see that the film is not really about sex, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for your very kind words and please ask Joan Lunden why she doesn't even care about finding "A Place for Poor Old Dad!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 9:55 PM, slaytonf said:

If. . .(1968)  is available for viewing on YT.  We have been fortunate enough to have seen O Lucky Man! (1973) on TCM.

Thanks, Slayton! I own the album to "O Lucky Man". Any Alan Price fans would totally enjoy it!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Hey, Jimmy! It's hard to go into detail about "Salo" due to its excruciatingly sadistic plotlines, but the word "hot" in its usual sexual sense does not apply. The film is more of an expose of political and psychosexual manipulations in a fascist regime. The sex is used not for the usual purposes of titillation or arousal but in more of a power structure way with dog eat dog tendencies. It is not really a film which would play well on tv, which is why I really don't see it ever playing on TCM. The elements of debauchery would never probably be seen in the light they were intended by director Pasolini. I purchased "Salo" mostly because I'd read about it numerous times and also thought it might go out of print, and like to see things people like to ban. I've only watched it once as it is a bit rough, but even with numerous events which on the surface would appear to be sexual, I can see that the film is not really about sex, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for your very kind words and please ask Joan Lunden why she doesn't even care about finding "A Place for Poor Old Dad!"

I probably have as good a chance to speak with Joan Lunden as you do. Not sure how "A Place For Mom" got its name. Perhaps because the ladies live longer. I am in a 55+ community where there are many single ladies living alone.

So, what you are saying is, your shoes are safe. If they were licorice infused hemp, now we're talking.

I relate to what you are saying, but in a musical sense. I am a mainstream TV and movie kind of guy, but love music that is different. We could get into trouble with the TCM police, for dropping music videos here. So, I will only mention "You Can't Tell The Difference After Dark" by name.

I love Paula Prentiss, mostly for "Man's Favorite Sport," but would love to see "Saturday The 14th" on TCM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

I probably have as good a chance to speak with Joan Lunden as you do. Not sure how "A Place For Mom" got its name. Perhaps because the ladies live longer. I am in a 55+ community where there are many single ladies living alone.

So, what you are saying is, your shoes are safe. If they were licorice infused hemp, now we're talking.

I relate to what you are saying, but in a musical sense. I am a mainstream TV and movie kind of guy, but love music that is different. We could get into trouble with the TCM police, for dropping music videos here. So, I will only mention "You Can't Tell The Difference After Dark" by name.

I love Paula Prentiss, mostly for "Man's Favorite Sport," but would love to see "Saturday The 14th" on TCM.

I know who Alberta Hunter is, Jimmy due to my dad being a big fan of pre-World War II jazz and blues. He liked her music and also a lady named Nellie Lutcher, who you might know too. Both had some pretty double entendre titles and could really swing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...