Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HELP! On your Mad About Musicals course pages your videos (welcome, intro, lecture notes video, etc), start to set up & show a quick "loading" message but then all that displays is a black box with a teal colored bar underneath, no start video button or any other navigational tools. I'm tech/gear savvy (have used desktop computers, internet, apps, etc for 20 years) but am stumped here. What do I need to do to solve this problem? I can download the course's daily pdf lecture notes but is that sufficient to finish the course? I can also play the VIP game with still images and I have previously seen 84 of the 90 movie musicals TCM is showing in June (been a lifelong musical fan as well as devoted TCM viewer since its first airing.) But I am highly disappointed that for some weird reason I can't see the instructors' lecture video or daily dose of delight clips. Help!Thanks in advance

Sorry to hear the videos are playing properly on your computer. 

We are using Arc video player, and it is supposed to work in any browser, but let me know what browser you are using. Are you using the latest version of either Chrome, Safari, or Firefox? Those are the browsers that should give you the best viewing experience. 

Please reply back, as I think it is crucial you are able to view the videos for the course. 

Best, 

Richard Edwards

• Sad 1

I am having the same issue with “arc” not loading. I am viewing the course on an iPad and Safari. Also, I need to know what my school is so I may download the Canvas app. ( I tried Ball university, but that doesn’t work). Thank you. 

I will check into Arc some more and see what can be done. It should work just fine on an iPad with Safari. But I'll escalate these problems to the Arc team and see what they can determine. 

Regarding the Canvas app, the way you find this course is not by identifying the school - the Canvas Network is separate from regular Canvas - right beneath that field that asks you for a school name is a link that says "Canvas Network" - click on that link, and you will find this course on the mobile app. 

This morning, I tried to load the Daily Dose and had the black screen described above.  I refreshed my browser and it loaded just fine after that.

Often clearing your browser cache or simply reloading will fix minor glitches like that.

• Thanks 1

Monday 6:27 pm (PST) Thanks for your concern, fellow musical lovers. but your tips didn't help. I cleared my Firefox browser cache, made sure popup windows aren't blocked, temporary internet files folder is empty, cookies are enabled,  and I refreshed the video pages as suggested but still nothing. It still shows only the blue half circle "loading" symbol and words "Loading ... embedded media" and then just a black box /teal bar and no buttons to start it. I'm using latest Firefox for my desktop computer and can watch videos from other sites including Youtube and Vimeo but not the ones on the Mad About Musicals pages. This is a bummer. Luckily I've been a lifelong musicals fan. Besides viewing most all of the 90 films to be shown, I have an extensive library of show biz books on musicals from various decades, Fred & G., Gene, Arthur Freed biography, etc, etc so I might still do ok with the course's weekly quizzes even if I can't see the videos. It would certainly be a blessing and helpful if you, Mr. Edwards, could find out from Arc why their player isn't working though. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, StarstruckKidTurnedPro said:

Monday 6:27 pm (PST) Thanks for your concern, fellow musical lovers. but your tips didn't help. I cleared my Firefox browser cache, made sure popup windows aren't blocked, temporary internet files folder is empty, cookies are enabled,  and I refreshed the video pages as suggested but still nothing. It still shows only the blue half circle "loading" symbol and words "Loading ... embedded media" and then just a black box /teal bar and no buttons to start it. I'm using latest Firefox for my desktop computer and can watch videos from other sites including Youtube and Vimeo but not the ones on the Mad About Musicals pages. This is a bummer. Luckily I've been a lifelong musicals fan. Besides viewing most all of the 90 films to be shown, I have an extensive library of show biz books on musicals from various decades, Fred & G., Gene, Arthur Freed biography, etc, etc so I might still do ok with the course's weekly quizzes even if I can't see the videos. It would certainly be a blessing and helpful if you, Mr. Edwards, could find out from Arc why their player isn't working though. Thanks!

I am on it! I've reached out to Canvas to help me troubleshoot! We will get this working! Or I will figure out a new way to deliver video. Luckily it is still early in the course, so please be patient as we work out some of the (seemingly inevitable) technical glitches!

• 3 weeks later...

As of Wed. June 19 the videos don't work, also the pictures don't load. When I log in to the canvas site it takes a long time for the course to load and come up.  

All was working fine previously.  I am using a Mac with the latest Safari browser and I even tried loading on my Android tablet with the same negative results.

The video screen is just black and the bottom of the black screen shows 0 for the length of the video.

Any solutions.

5 hours ago, wroc said:

As of Wed. June 19 the videos don't work, also the pictures don't load. When I log in to the canvas site it takes a long time for the course to load and come up.  

All was working fine previously.  I am using a Mac with the latest Safari browser and I even tried loading on my Android tablet with the same negative results.

The video screen is just black and the bottom of the black screen shows 0 for the length of the video.

Any solutions.

I also have a MAC and switched from Safari to Chrome.....hope this helps.