Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I think mine would have to be Rocky Horror Picture. That may not be fair since I've never seen it in a theater and have never been able to watch it on TV all the way through. But I don't think the big screen or viewing it in its entirety would make much difference. It just didn't appeal to me.

I also have a love/hate relationship with Gypsy. I loved Natalie Wood and enjoyed hearing her actually doing her own singing. And I love Rosalind Russel (especially in Auntie Mame) but not so much as Mama Rose. Plus, as in many stage-to-screen musicals they left out some songs and changed others. I vastly preferred the TV version with Bette Midler and Cynthia Gibb because it was pretty darn close to the original.

18 minutes ago, Brenda Lane said:

That one number in holiday inn where they performed in blackface, it was distasteful, the worst experience I've had watching musicals.

What was the one Judy Garland did blackface in? The thing is, we find it distasteful now but back then it was perfectly acceptable. 

• Like 1

Re: Blackface in film.  Yes. It's unsavory when viewed with a 21st century mindset.  However, at the time that they were made, it wasn't seen as bad.  I'm not a fan of it either, but I just accept it as a sign of the times.  I do dislike Judy's blackface number in Everybody Sings because she's dressed up in a stereotypical manner.  Judy and Mickey also don blackface in one of their films together.  Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell sport blackface in Swing Time and Honolulu, respectively.  Both are performing homages to Bill Robinson.  I appreciate that Fred didn't include the white lips with his blackface.  Eleanor included them in hers.  I think Astaire and Powell could have easily paid tribute to Robinson without blackface, but in the late 30s, this is what they decided to do.  

I think Mickey Rooney's yellow faced turn as Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany's is more egregious than any of the blackface numbers I have seen, only because it's so stereotypical and I believe in 1961, during the middle of the Civil Rights Era, the filmmakers should have known better.  Rooney's performance is the only blemish on an otherwise entertaining film. 

Film: Hair (1979). Oy vey. This film just gets under my skin. Everything about it screams trashy to me. Keep in mind I've never cared much for the hippie movement of the 60s/70s (in the 60s, I always preferred the retro futurism aspect of pop culture, and in the 70s, I prefer flashy disco swank). Even with that in mind, I can appreciate something hippie influenced (Jesus Christ Superstar is one of my all-time favorite films). But the characters in Hair are so infuriating, doing things that are supposed to be "charming" when all they're doing is wrecking other people's lives, and that comes to bite them in the you-know-where by the film's end. Visually, it's ugly; the choreography feels haphazardly improvised, and the songs are annoying save for perhaps two. As I understand it, the film is so radically different from the Broadway version that the original creators disowned it, but considering I don't like the music, either, I doubt I'll like the show much better. The fact that NBC chose this to be their next live musical is really disappointing to me, especially since I absolutely adored their productions of The Wiz and Jesus Christ Superstar. 

Song: To spice up this post, I'll post something not from Hair - "Boo bop bop bop bop (I Love You, Too)" from Pete's Dragon. Crikey. Pete's Dragon in general is a big, hammy ball of corn, but I still rather enjoy it in a vaudeville sort of way. But that song between Pete and Elliot has got to be the worst thing ever written and performed for a Disney film. It's cloying and tuneless. I'm an avid Disney fan and am used to running into people who find a lot of the studio's offerings too saccharine and trite for their liking. When I see that "musical" sequence in Pete's Dragon, I wonder if this is the way they view every film from the company. It's simply embarrassing and cringe-inducing. 

There is a musical number in Blonde Venus where Marlene Dietrich starts the number in an ape costume. Then she pulls off the ape mask and puts on a blonde afro wig. Her backup dancers are white women who are in brown makeup and are wearing black afro wigs. The number is called Hot Voodoo. I was amazed and apalled at the same time. You can see the clip on TCM. http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/919642/Blonde-Venus-Movie-Clip-Hot-Voodoo.html

Every musical has, what I like to call, a fast forward song. In West Side Story it is the song "Maria" and in The Wizard of Oz it is the Lion's song, "Courage" (which is my least favorite).

The musical I dislike the most is Godspell. I could only get through the first 5 minutes.

- "Finian's Rainbow". Whatever became of Don Francks anyway?

- "The Pirate". An embarrassment for Garland & Kelly. Only redeeming value was finale: "Be A Clown".

- Any musical having dance scenes w/Cyd Charisse. When she's on the screen I fast forward or change channels. Whatever her character, she can't get that smug, elitist look off her face no matter how fast she twirls or how high she kicks.

-"Summer Stock". Not so much for the cheesy plot. It's unwatchable for me because all I'd focus on is how the studio plied Judy w/so many diet pills & trussed her up so much to slim her down, and she still had to suffer the  humiliation of daily complaints about her weight. If she wasn't desperate for money at the time, I don't think she ever would've  endured the stress and done it.

I HATED Chicago. Just loud and raucous. The movie was a mess.

Judy Garland could make any song, no matter how weak, dull or just plain bad, sound great. She knew how to "sell it"

I'm surprised some on here don't like the "Triplets" song from The Band Wagon. It's clever and fun!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, corinne54 said:

I HATED Chicago. Just loud and raucous. The movie was a mess.

I don't feel quite that strongly, but it's a shame that with such great basic material, better leads couldn't have been found. Perhaps the poor directing choices made were an attempt to cover up their lack of musical ability, so I'm willing to at least consider giving the director a pass.

14 hours ago, filmnoirguy said:

I agree with you about Funny Face.  I don't know if I've ever made it to the end.  It's included in the TCM's new book "50 Must-See Musicals" and I have to ask:  Why?  Also I don't care for Daddy Long Legs.  I don't mean to be mean about Fred Astaire, however, because he is one of my all-time favorites.

I've really tried to like Funny Face since I love both Fred and Audrey, but I really don't either. I agree about Daddy Long Legs. It has a weird story to me. I also really don't care for West Side Story.. again mostly the storyline. I want a happy ending to my musicals.

• Like 1

Maurice Chevalier's "Thank Heaven For Little Girls" isn't that bad. After all, he is patiently waiting for them to get "bigger every day" since they "grow up in the most delightful way". I may not agree with him that "without them what would little boys do?" since they can do an awful lot without girls around. Just ask Spanky McFarland. Yet he seems content to leave the little ones with other little ones for the time being.

Gigi is a surprisingly progressive movie, being based on a non-musical French film from the decade before. The women in 1900 Paris are taking charge of their lives regardless of society expectations. Many characters are not married and living in "sin", but Gigi herself demands that her man love her instead of just use her for her body.

I also like the "Triplets" number in the Band Wagon due to the effects, art design and very funny lyrics. Also there aren't many songs about sibling rivalry in Hollywood musicals. I find hard to believe the kiddies in The Sound Of Music and The King And I get along THAT well.

• Like 2

"A Chorus Line - The Movie"

it was such a letdown from the soundtrack or stage production that I saw at the Schubert in August, 1977 at 17. I turned it off before it ruined my memory of the phenomenal theatrical performance. Michael Douglas?? What were they thinking?? ??‍♀

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Care to elaborate?

Don't like ONJ (I think she is off key and sings through her nose); don't like greasers (in the 50's sense); don't think the songs are very good; don't think they got the 50's right,;Travolta is ok in some movies, not in this. Quote from Roger Ebert review: "But no revival, however joyously promoted, can conceal the fact that this is just an average musical, pleasant and upbeat and plastic."

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Suzy-Q said:

Don't like ONJ (I think she is off key and sings through her nose); don't like greasers (in the 50's sense); don't think the songs are very good; don't think they got the 50's right,;Travolta is ok in some movies, not in this. Quote from Roger Ebert review: "But no revival, however joyously promoted, can conceal the fact that this is just an average musical, pleasant and upbeat and plastic."

Thanks for being more specific. I assume you don't think Happy Days or Laverne & Shirley got the 50s right either. There was a lot of backwards-looking nostalgia to the 50s in the mid-to-late 70s, most of it was highly unrealistic.

Incidentally Happy Days used a lot of music in its episodes.

9 hours ago, jawz63 said:

There is a musical number in Blonde Venus where Marlene Dietrich starts the number in an ape costume. Then she pulls off the ape mask and puts on a blonde afro wig. Her backup dancers are white women who are in brown makeup and are wearing black afro wigs. The number is called Hot Voodoo. I was amazed and apalled at the same time. You can see the clip on TCM. http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/919642/Blonde-Venus-Movie-Clip-Hot-Voodoo.html

Compare that to the chilling number in Cabaret, "If You Could See Her Through My Eyes". Totally opposite intention.

• Like 1

Least favorite musicals:

- the Phantom of the Opera (2004)
I'm not a fan of the Phantom of the Opera in general because it sympathizes villains but doesn't make the heroes people you want to root for anyways. As far as the movie goes, I think it's a weak cast. Although Gerard Butler does a better job at the Phantom than Russel Crow did as Javert.
- Grease
Not to say I don't like songs from it, I do. I just think it's overdone and overplayed and people have a false sense of how good it actually is.
- Hairspray (2007)
Almost everything about it annoys me. Except for when Queen Latifah sings "I Know Where I've Been".
- Funny Face
One word. FRED ASTIRE. 

Least favorite musical numbers:

- ANYTHING Sharpay sings in the High School Musical movies. Sure they're big and fun and catchy but Ashely Tisdale sounds whiny. 
- Broadway Melody from Singing in the Rain
- Stars from the 2012 version of Les Miserables. It was SOOOO pain full to watch and hear.
- In the Dark of the Night from the cartoon version of Anastasia, it so completely creeped me out as a kid and it still kind of does.

17 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I like Bye Bye Birdie.  Though I haven't seen the stage version to compare it to.  I do understand that the film was re-written to focus more on the Ann-Margret character because she was an upcoming new star at that time.  I read that Dick Van Dyke who was in the stage version, was unhappy that some focus was taken off his character and given to Ann-Margret.  I'm a big fan of Ann-Margret, so I didn't mind her being the main focus of the film.  I really like the "Lots of Livin' to Do" song.  Paul Lynde is hilarious, though I think he plays himself in every movie he does--which I don't mind, because the "Paul Lynde" character is so funny.  I thought that Ann-Margret could do better than Bobby "golly gee" Rydell, is a little too square for me, but I guess he makes a good contrast to Conrad Birdie. 

My main issue with Bye Bye Birdie is the casting of Conrad Birdie.  That actor was just too old and he's not cute.  I don't know why the girls would be going gaga over him.  Too bad they couldn't get Elvis.  I think that's who the filmmakers originally wanted.  I'd even take James Darren or Frankie Avalon or Fabian or maybe even Ricky Nelson.  I do love my 50s/60s teen idols (okay, Darren is my favorite because he's so cute).  Rydell is okay... but he's not my favorite. 

I played Paul Lynde’s character’s wife in our high school production of Birdie. This gives me a soft spot for the movie. I agree I’d like to see some different casting. The revamped production with Jason Alexander and Vanessa Williams did not endear itself to me, though. I would have preferred it to have been a bit more true to the original. 

1 hour ago, hollygolightly1990 said:

Least favorite musicals:

- the Phantom of the Opera (2004)
I'm not a fan of the Phantom of the Opera in general because it sympathizes villains but doesn't make the heroes people you want to root for anyways. As far as the movie goes, I think it's a weak cast. Although Gerard Butler does a better job at the Phantom than Russel Crow did as Javert.

I first saw Phantom at the Kennedy Center with my sister and niece. I only went because I was visiting from out of town and a neighbor had given the tickets to my sister. This was several years after it debuted on Broadway and won all sorts of awards. For whatever reason, it was not something I thought would appeal to me. I just thought I would indulge my niece and deal with it for the 2 - 3 hours and get over it. Before the first act was even half way through I was completely mesmerized and captivated. I bought the OBC CD and Michael Crawford Sings Andrew Lloyd Weber.

So I was very excited to see the movie. Until I saw the movie. I thought Gerard Butler was so wrong for the role of the Phantom and Minnie Driver was way too campy for Carlotta. Carlotta is a buffoon to be sure, but she takes herself completely seriously and while she is the queen of overacting she would never wear garish hair and makeup and deliberately behave in such a clownish manner. Emmy Rossum pretty much saved that movie, and even there I think they could have done a better job of casting.

• Like 1

I loved Carousel. And Showboat (except Kathryn Grayson's singing) and Music Man and West Side Story and all the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers romps and so many more. Yep, there are some bad numbers in musicals (I'm thinking Danny Kaye et al in that weird one in White Christmas) but none that I'd say I hate, hate, hate. Must be something wrong with me.

"High Society" - hated it. Maybe because The Philadelphia Story is one of my all-time favorite movies (LOVE!) - a version set to music was all wrong. Cannot think of (an aging) Bing Crosby in a romantic role.