Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CynthiaV

Favorite musical star/s

Hi everyone. I've been watching TCMs 24/7 Mad about Musicals programming today. Revisiting favorite musicals and stars and looking forward to even more as I'm sure all of you are.

I was just wondering which male and female musical stars are your favorites? They can be singers or dancers or the proverbial double threat. 

Mine are dancers though they've done some singing too but dancing is definitely their forte.

She is Eleanor Powell one of the truly great dancers of her time male or female. Those high kicks and her technical skills blow me away. Broadway Melody of 1936 and Born to Dance showcase her solo tap dancing to perfection.

He is the great Fred Astaire. What can be said about him that already hasn't been said? His innovation, elegance and effortless skills to me make him the best of the best. Whether dancing with Ginger, Cyd or even Gene my eyes are always on Mr. Astaire.

And when they partner to dance, Begin the Beguine the result is pure heaven. Sinatra was right, we'll never see the likes of that again.

So who are yours and why? 

• Like 2

Tough call. Richard Harris for his King Arthur in Camelot. I was lucky enough to see him twice when the stage production toured in my area. After seeing Camelot he was my first "non-teen heart throb" crush. But also Michael Crawford after seeing Phantom on tour (not with him though) and getting the OBC.

Probably Julie Andrews for my female favorite. And from a more contemporary standpoint, Idina Menzel. althgouh I don't know what movies she's been in other than Rent and Enchanted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueMoods said:

Probably Julie Andrews for my female favorite. And from a more contemporary standpoint, Idina Menzel. althgouh I don't know what movies she's been in other than Rent and Enchanted.

She was in Frozen.

26 minutes ago, hollygolightly1990 said:

She was in Frozen.

Oh, yeahhhh. I had forgotten about that.

I really like Judy Garland. From a very early age you could see her immense talent.  It is so sad that her life was so difficult. It would have been amazing to see what she could have done had she lived longer.

I also really like Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly. They were such good dancers who gave everything to the songs they sang too!

• Like 3

My favorite singing preformers would probably have to be Judy Garland (I especially enjoy Garland/Rooney team up), Howard Keel and Julie Andrews.

I don't think anyone would argue with Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly dominating the dancing category although I really think Cagney could be spotlighted a lot more. He is a really great dancer, so much more than a tough guy!

• Like 1

I agree with CynthiaV. You just can't beat Eleanor Powell and Fred Astaire.  You just can't, so stop trying.  Stop it I say!

Just kidding.  Never stop trying!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, JessieLovesTCM said:

My favorite singing preformers would probably have to be Judy Garland (I especially enjoy Garland/Rooney team up), Howard Keel and Julie Andrews.

I don't think anyone would argue with Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly dominating the dancing category although I really think Cagney could be spotlighted a lot more. He is a really great dancer, so much more than a tough guy!

I couldn't agree more about Cagney. I love his dancing in, "Yankee Doodle Dandy." He is so spunky and energetic  and his body transitions so quickly from one move to the next. And I adore how he taps down the Whitehouse staircase at the end of the film. I've read the routine was shot in one take, improvised by Cagney minutes before the scene. Even Curtiz didnt know he was going to do it..I can't wait to watch him dancing again on the 14th!

• Like 1

Since I grew up in the 60's and 70's and my parents grew up on the original musicals, our house was filled with musical soundtracks. 

I absolutely adore Shirley Jones, Julie Andrews and Sarah Brightman. For the males, Michael Crawford, Robert Preston and my first crush and forever favorite Gordon MacRae??????

• Like 1

My favorites are Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Gene Kelly, Rita Hayworth, Donald O'Connor, Mitzi Gaynor, Vera-Ellen, Ann Miller, Cyd Charisse, Debbie Reynolds, Judy Garland, and Eleanor Powell.

• Like 1

Fred, Ginger, Gene, Judy, Ann Miller, Cyd Charisse, Betty Grable, Alice Faye, Nicholas Brothers, Julie Andrews, Doris Day, Liza Minnelli, Barbra Streisand, Marilyn Monroe.

• Like 1

I know I talked about this elsewhere but Ginger Rogers is my absolute all time favorite. I also very much like Cyd Charisse and Vera Ellen. I enjoyed others also but those stand out for me. I liked watching Leslie Caron in a couple of her Musicals also I think mainly because I watched them with my Aunts, so great memories. 

I love so many of the movie musical stars who came from the theater like Julie Andrews, Lea Salonga, Liz Callaway, Alan Cumming, Bernadette Peters, Donna Murphy, Paige O'Hara, Jodi Benson, and Susan Egan. Amy Adams is another brilliant actress who doesn't get enough credit for her musical chops. She was wonderful in Enchanted and made a wonderful Baker's Wife in the Shakespeare in the Park production of Into the Woods. Catherine Zeta-Jones is also great, and the only real triple threat working in Hollywood this century. Jake Gyllenhaal and Imelda Staunton haven't done any film musicals, but they're both wonderful actors who have done great work in stage musicals as well. Staunton has played Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd, Mama Rose in Gypsy, and Sally Durant Plummer in Follies. I was lucky enough to see Jake Gyllenhaal as Georges Seurat in last year's revival of Sunday in the Park with George, and he was truly revelatory in that role. Marni Nixon is also noteworthy for providing the singing for so many wonderful characters in film like Maria in West Side Story, Anna Leonowens in The King and I, and Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Imelda Staunton as Adelaide in Guys and Dolls some years ago at the National.  She is quite versatile.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 5:48 PM, hollygolightly1990 said:

She was in Frozen.

And the Star of WICKED on stage. Saw it 6 times!

38 minutes ago, Debi H said:

And the Star of WICKED on stage. Saw it 6 times!

I would have loved to see the original cast of Wicked. I've only worn out my cast recording and haven't replaced it yet. . .