Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's Entertainment (1974) is probably the mother of all compilation movies.  Many people here have mentioned learning about musicals and musical performers through the That's Entertainment film series.  If anyone hasn't seen it yet, there is an amazing video on YouTube that features a mini reunion of sorts of many of the MGM stars.  I think this event occurred concurrently with the That's Entertainment premiere, but it was also part of the 50th Anniversary celebration of MGM. 

The stars are presented in alphabetical order, until the end, when it gets a little mixed up.  I blame Johnny Weismuller.  Not everyone presented is a musical star, but they are an MGM star.  It's fun to see Margaret O'Brien as an adult.  This might be the only documented video appearance of Fred Astaire's sister and former dance partner, Adele Astaire.  This event was hosted by Sammy Davis Jr and Liza Minnelli. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I was in California that summer. My aunt took me to the movie in the theater where it premiered. I think it was on Wilshire Boulevard. That movie was one of the most thrilling events I ever had.

Oh man, Speedracer5, that made me cry just to see all our old favorite Stars in one place. They surely don't make 'em like that anymore. Today's "celebrities" (because I can't call most of them "Stars"!) can't hold a candle to the talent exhibited by these legends of the Cinema. Seeing this group just makes me miss them all so much! Thanks for sharing that!

• Like 1

This came out my Senior year in High School......It had Fred, Gene, Liza...all the greats...."Singing in the rain" is one of my favorite Gene movies...along with On the town, Brigadoon...etc  Fred...Finnians Rainbow...Royal Wedding...there are just too many to list...but to see all the "That's Entertainment" and see all those people alive again...I really dug that....the one thing that has always puzzled me..a man is singing a song in an empty town square and suddenly it is full of people that not only know all the words to the song but the dance steps as well..Now That's Entertainment and that is a Band Wagon!

14 minutes ago, Steve P. said:

It’s the movie that sparked my interest as a 14 year old in the MGM Musicals! Later I was lucky enough to meet Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly....still one of the great thrills of my life !

Sadly, I never got to meet my heroes Fred and Gene but I did get to meet Stanley Donen (who created On the Town and Singin' In The Rain with Gene plus directed Royal Wedding - a fav w/ Fred and Seven Brides for Seven Bros. and others) back in the 2000s, backstage at the Hollywood Bowl's Night of Movie Musicals (conducted by John Williams too!) and tell Mr. Donen how his work had influenced my career as a dancer and how that had given me a wonderful life. It was such an honor to meet him and thank him for inspiring me throughout my life.

• Like 1

I met Mr Kelly first at Cal State Fullerton at  the final class on his films. I met Mr Astaire at the AFI lifetime achievement award in his honor along with Mr Melly again and the biggest thrill was talking with James Cagney who was also there. I did the same as you did with Stanley Done. - expressed my admiration to Cagney for his work, he was incredibly gracious. I was 21 at the time!

• Thanks 1

I have vague memories of this; I was just turning 10 when it was released. I know I have seen at least part of it, and/or perhaps the next film in the series. The clip was difficult to hear/understand, but I did tear up when Roddy McDowell and Lassie came out (I know, not a musical... but I loved the Lassie movies as a child.).