Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JACK WARNER'S LOST FILM, "CONVENTION CITY," FROM 1933 (LED TO THE FORMATION OF THE HAYS CODE)

As I was watching "Gold Diggers of 1938", I became more curious about the career of Joan Blondell.  First of all, she was a wonderful comedienne and actress whose career never made it to big stardom.  She had three rough marriages.  But, she worked through her personal issues to become one of the most respected character actresses of all time.

About "Convention City": it was so scandalous, that Jack Warner ordered the burning of all copies and negatives.  According to legend, there were tasteless jokes about prostitution, drunkenness, and more.  This film caused an such outcry with the mostly conservative public at the time.  As a result, the Hays Code was formedThere are no known prints of this film.  Jack Warner truly destroyed any future viewings of Convention City.  Hence, it is lost forever.

http://www.missamerica1933.com/contestants/conventioncity.html.  This is a mini article about the film.

Edited by arpirose
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry but I made a big typo this morning about the Gold Diggers movie.  It should be "Gold Diggers of 1933.

Aside from the Busby Berkeley musical numbers;  there is a hilarious, over the top, performance by Aline MacMahon as Trixie.  I always, loved this movie. I even had the Busby Berkeley book, from 1973, which got lost in a move. It was a wonderful book for collectors.