Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Robboy

Rita Hayworth

The most beautiful woman in the history of motion pictures was Rita Hayworth! She possessed great, great beauty that was somehow "enhanced" on film. There was also a heartbreaking sadness about her beauty and acting. She was a very accomplished dancer as well. When I think of beautiful film actress, I think of Rita! Any thoughts Avag?

She's one of my favorites. And I think she was constantly sold short as an actress. She proved to be so good as she went on and took up some pretty brave roles. I think my favorites are *Gilda* and Separate Tables, along with Miss Sadie Thompson. Her portrayal is my favorite of the two I've seen (Joan Crawford's being the other, and very good too).

Hi ya Robboy,

ty for asking Robboy!! First off i ADORE Rita as a matter a fact in the most beautiful woman poll that ILoveRay did..Rita is number 3 in my top 3!! I thought she was just stunning!! As ive mentioned so many times before to me its MORE then just beauty on the outside..there MUST be something on the inside, as i said i like to think its in the eyes...and to me Rita just ooozed sentuality, sexuality, and i would like to say instead of the word sadness, vulnerability. With Rita her life was alot like my Avas...oops..thats Ava Gardner robboy...lol..we havent met yet..shes my number 1 on the list..heehee....as i was saying..there lives entwined alot..in the end..sadly they both took to drink and had MANY bad relationships as far as men...these were two women always searching for that one thing we all want....love...... ironiclly it seems to be always the BEAUTIFUL ones..the VERY beautiful ones who do have these kinds of very lows and very highs in there lives......that is just the price i guess for being SO beautiful...silly it sounds but its TRUE...also as i say, is it what it is.....

In case u are wondering my second most beautiful is Vivain Leigh....and ironiclly again saaaame story...except thatViv poor thing basiclly lost her MIND in the end and could not be controlled...but no matter what these 3 ladies in my view were the tops of beauty, sexiness, sensuality, vulnerability, to me they had the WHOLE package!!

btw...i own GILDA ..and must watch it at least once every couple weeks....heehee!

ty so much for asking me Robboy!! Hope i explained it well...

ty again

AvaG :-)

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Robboy,

I wanted to comment on Ritas danceing that u had mentioned, yes Rita was a beautiful dancer, here is a little backround for ya on the beauty........Rita actually started danceing with her family...Her whole family were in a troupe and they use to travel and dance all over the country...that is how Rita started actually in show biz...lol...and then she broke off with that and danced in some choruses on her own and the rest as they say is history!! And oooooooh what a history...i just love her.....whats not to love....heehee

ty again Robboy

Welcome Aboard Robboy: "The most beautiful woman in the history of motion pictures was Rita Hayworth!"

Now the gloves come off. Annagram in another thread said that the most beautiful woman in movies was Elizabeth Taylor. I hold out for (the only and obvious choice:) Hedy Lamarr. Others think the sun rises and falls with Greer Garson. We have a contest going on where we're picking our three favorite most beautiful actresses. That's a very dangerous and flammable first sentence you got there. You just got here. You want to start a war?!!!!!!!!

But no doubt...you're right. What a spectacular opening that was when asked "Gilda, are you decent?" Whew! What a sight. And if I'm not mistaken, Fred was too chivalrous to given an answer, but I'm sure Astaire thought Hayworth danced head & shoulders above his other incomparable partners. That red hair cascading and spinning around her shoulders is enough to...to...hey, where am I?

Yes...there was a heartbreaking sadness to her in her later years. Thanxxx to her (and her daughter) the illness of Alzheimer's was brought to the forefront.

Rita Hayworth. Saying her name makes me smile.

(Psst! When you read this post, read it with tongue firmly in cheek for part of it). Welcome!

I like Rita in Lady from Shanghai & Gilda, but the one I own is Shanghai, I liked that one a bit more, just more of personal taste

Rita is hot and wouldnt kick her out of bed for eating popcorn (if she still looked that way) !!! LOL

If you can't keep Rita busy (why is she even eating in bed) then let someone else have a shot! Go to your corner.

I believe that she was her father's dancing partner while she was growing up. They were the Cansino family and her name was Marguarita Cansino. And I think that there were rumors of abuse by her father as well. And I think she was abused or used by most of the men [including husbands] in her life including the slimy Dick Haymes. And she was quite a good actress in later films such as Pal Joey and Seperate Tables. Have I got some of my facts straight AvaG? Good to hear from you Ms AvaG! Got a lot of thoughts on Elizabeth Taylor and Vivien Leigh! Fellas, I know I'm new on the block and Im glad you let me share some of my thoughts! Know Im gonna learn a lot from you or as we say y'all!

for me, rita is "THE LOVE GODDESS" -- the most unique, charismatic, magical beauty i've ever seen in the movies....or in real life. wow, i would have LOVED to have seen her in person when she was at her peak!!

the way she looked (the widow's peak, the flowing hair, the "peaches & cream" complexion, the trim athletic body & ample bosom, the beautiful hands with those long red nails--so feminine!!--the elegant profile), the way she spoke, the way she moved thru space, the unearthly grace of her dancing (i don't believe astaire EVER HAD a more GRACEFUL partner)....and of course her gentle personality in life....she's just a marvel to me..... if ever there was a woman born for the movies it was she!!

Robboy,

Ava here again, ummmm im just kind of wondering WHY u asked ME in paticular my thoughts on Rita being the most beautiful actress ever? I mean im flattered its just that i dont know u and i have never seen u on here and it sounds like noone has...so anyway i answered u and u didnt respond so that was kind of strange..... plus u havent been on once scinse u did this thread..hope u are well....

Sorry if my responce was not what u wanted to hear....maybe u wanted a cconfrontation to start it wouldnt be the first time....and u didnt get it.....who knows ..i just find the whole thing kind of strange..

Anyway just had to ask...SCINSE u did ask ME in your thread....

ty again for asking though..

I believe Rita was the most gorgeous of her time! I agree she lived up to her name "The Love Goddess"!!!!!!! Here are some lovely pics of this beauty! Oh and by the way if you are a HUGE fan of Rita please feel free to visit by forum dedicated to The Love Goddess any time you'd like at www.ritahayworth.proboards101.com

Rita Hayworth

Rita Hayworth

Rita Hayworth

Rita Hayworth

rita hayworth

rita hayworth

Rita Hayworth

Message was edited by: VintageBlonde

Doesn't she just have the most adoring beauty like...ever? She's one of the only actresses ever that can be so absolutely stunning and beautiful and at the same time be cute and adorable. The only role I don't like her in -- don't hurt me for saying this lol -- is *Pal Joey*, just because she played an oldish woman....although in the scene where she's singing Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered, and her hair is down, she looks at least as young as Kim Novak, at least while her hair is down. She played the part well, the whole concept of it is just weird.

I feel the same exact way LOL. I think pal joey was a cute movie, but I hated rita's character LOL. And the only part I liked her in was when she sang, bewitched, bothered, and bewildered. you are right, that's the only time she looked young again. but no matter what I think she always kept her beauty til the day she died. It was just weird like you said, seeing her in that movie much older already. I was so used to seeing 1940's rita lol so after seeing "pal joey" it was kinda weird.

Yeah I know. She seriously kept her beauty -- because to see her in Pal Joey, as weird as it was, all I could think was dude...she was in *Cover Girl* thirteen freaking years ago lol, and she really doesn't look THAT much older. And still beaaaatiful. I adore her in that movie...

Hollywood. A treacherous place. Always pitting the veteran against the new comer. Bacall needed a threat from Lizabeth Scott; Alice Faye and Jean Harlow were the blondes of the 30's...then Betty Grable and those gorgeous gams came on the scene and blew away Faye (who, admittedly, left voluntarily not to look back for twenty years). Grable was the bees knees, especially with those legs until Marilyn came on the scene and obliterated everyone and anyone else within 3000 miles of Culver City.

Rudy Vallee-to-Bing Crosby-to-Ol' Blue Eyes-to-ELVIS-to-the Beatles. It's evolution...it's the history of the world...it's Hollywood, a treacherous place, especially for women.

My favorite Rita films are Gilda, Affair In Trinidad, and They Came To Cordura. Easily, imo, the best and most exciting female dancer i've ever seen on screen. Also, the actress with the sexiest voice ever. I thought she looked really good in Pal Joey, much better than KN and i like Kim. I wouldn't say she's THE most beautiful, but nearly. I'd put Rita at # 4 or 5 overall. Still, Rita is one of the greatest stars to ever come out of Hollywood and was over the top alluring as the sublime Gilda Munson. She is such a smart*ss as Gilda... i love this woman mucho.

Yes Rita Hayworth was one of the most beautiful of her time in my opinion. She was a wonderful dancer and I agree that her enthusiasm was simply spectacular. By the way if you are a huge rita fan please be sure to check out my board dedicated to her at www.ritahayworth.proboards101.com I'm sure you'll enjoy your time there :)

RANDY: "I wouldn't say she's THE most beautiful, but nearly. I'd put Rita at # 4 or 5 overall."

#4 or #5...Randy, please tell me who ARE your top five most beautiful actresses... I am curious yellow.

O.K. Ciney. From my male eyes, it would have to go down like this:

1. Hedy

2. Linda D.

3. Lana

4. Susan H.

5. Rita

6. Jane Russell

7. Ida Lupino

8. Ann Sheridan

9. Merle Oberon

10. Yvonne D.

11. Kay Francis

12. Alexis S.

13. Veronica

14. Jennifer

15. Gene

16. Loretta

She was so amazingly gorgeous, I just couldn't resist! I had to make a group for her called "The Love Goddess: Rita Hayworth" on my Vintage Life Network. So if you're interested in joining please visit...

www.vintagelifenetwork.ning.com

Hope you'll have lots of fun!

Just wanted to give this thread a bump - and also to remind RH fans that FMC will be showing *Tales of Manhattan* this Thursday at 6:00 am Eastern

o_Tales_of_Manhattan.jpg

Thanks. Classic films are loaded with beautiful women. Dangit anyway. The two months this year i schedule a two week vacation out-of-town were april and september: Hedy's SOTM and Kay's SOTM. How's that for bad luck? However, I did get to see Kay in Divorce and Confession and taped Allotment Wives and the one where lionel barrymore frames Kay last friday morning. I really liked Divorce; it was simple and to the point. I also saw Jewel Robbery last week on TCM on demand. I've been a huge Kay fan for about three years and so far i've seen twelve of her films. I am looking forward to seeing most of the ones i missed when TCM reshows them here and there over the next few months.

That does sound like rotten luck, but like you said, hopefully they'll be re-running many of those movies in the next few months. B-)