Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Besides Ginger who danced well with Fred?

Leslie Caron dances very differently from him, a more balletic European refinement, but just as much tactical precision as Astaire.

• Like 1

Another Fred-dancing-with-a-male-partner example is the two fun dance numbers he performed with George Burns (and of course, the adorable Gracie Allen) in A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS. The "I've Just Begun To Live" number especially is very clever.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Another Fred-dancing-with-a-male-partner example is the two fun dance numbers he performed with George Burns (and of course, the adorable Gracie Allen) in A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS. The "I've Just Begun To Live" number especially is very clever.

Yes, this more than makes up for the fact the picture's leading lady (Joan Fontaine) is not a dancer.

4 hours ago, victorkong said:

Leslie Caron dances very differently from him, a more balletic European refinement, but just as much tactical precision as Astaire.

I watched Caron last night in CHOCOLAT (2000). She plays a supporting role and looks a bit frail. It was hard to believe she was the same woman who danced with Fred and Gene years earlier.

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2018 at 8:21 PM, Pastiche said:

Evidently there's no footage of Adele and Fred dancing, per this BBC item: Adele Astaire - the dancer who could have been #1   

Thanks so much for adding this to the discussion thread. One of my friends would have called this a Tasty Tidbit of Trivia: something to really enjoy! As so many of the clips added here are!

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 4:18 PM, starryeyzze said:

Ann Miller’s solo routine in Easter Parade is spectacular.  But they I don’t think they actually danced together. I need to review the movie. 

They dance together to "It Only Happens When I Dance with You" in Easter Parade (1948). 

• Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 9:32 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Ann Miller did not co-star with Astaire in Easter Parade.

Judy Garland co-starred was Fred Astaire in Easter Parade. 

This movie was a comeback for Fred Astaire after retirement. It wasn't a real retirement in terms of his age or ability. He quit in his mid-forties because he couldn't obtain a movie contract or carry a movie anymore on his own.

So Judy Garland is the star of Easter Parade. But after his great success in  Easter Parade, Fred Astaire became a musical comedy film star all over again for the post-war audience.

Fred Astaire also did some straight comedy. One example is The Notorious Landlady (1962), with Jack Lemmon and Kim Novak. He's good in the film and it's great fun all around.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:48 PM, Chillyfillyinalaska said:

Rita Hayworth

she was an incredible and well trained dancer... I loved her with Astaire in You Were Never Lovelier but even more with Gene Kelly in one of my very favorite musicals, Cover Girl

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:52 PM, Lanin said:

I believe they did. The number "It Only Happens When I Dance With You".

Fred Astaire was not the original choice for the lead in Easter Parade. It was Gene Kelly who broke his ankle playing volleyball who suggested that Astaire replace him. Kelly also wanted Cyd Charisse for the Ann Miller role, but Charisse has torn ligaments. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:21 AM, Brittany Ashley said:

Rita Hayworth! Surprised no one mentioned her yet. 

He supposedly said she was his favorite dancing partner.

The more I watch Rita Hayworth, the more I love her dancing. I had also read that Astaire praised her... she was a quick learner and her training showed.

• Like 2

How about the dancers we wish had danced with Fred Astaire?

I would have loved to see him and Bob Fosse together, especially with their similar looks and frames.

Bob Hope, too, would be a good partner for him in a routine.

As for the ladies, I would have liked him to dance with Betty Grable, but before she was a major star. I could easily see her in Joan Leslie's role in THE SKY'S THE LIMIT (I do like Joan in it, though.)

Mitzi Gaynor I think would have danced well with him, too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I would have loved to see him and Bob Fosse together, especially with their similar looks and frames.

As for the ladies, I would have liked him to dance with Betty Grable, but before she was a major star. I could easily see her in Joan Leslie's role in THE SKY'S THE LIMIT (I do like Joan in it, though.)

Yes, I think Mitzi Gaynor would have done a splendid job with Fred.

It also would have been fun to see Fred dance with a cartoon character. Gene Kelly and Esther Williams had scenes with animated figures. Why not Fred, too!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, I think Mitzi Gaynor would have done a splendid job with Fred.

It also would have been fun to see Fred dance with a cartoon character. Gene Kelly and Esther Williams had scenes with animated figures. Why not Fred, too!

Well, there's this- but Fred is also animated. I have no clue why someone would even make this!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sagebrush said:

Well, there's this- but Fred is also animated. I have no clue why someone would even make this!

Thanks. Yeah, it's cute. I guess someone had a lot of time on their hands and thought it would be fun to make this.

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I would have loved to see him dance with Juliet Prowse.  In fact, I would have liked to see more of her in the movies.  

As for the men, as long as we are fantasizing I'll go big and ask for a trio of Astaire, Balanchine and Robbins.

• Like 2

Rita Hayworth reportedly said the only pictures she made that she liked were COVER GIRL and the two she made with Mr. Astaire. She's a lovely dancer.

10 hours ago, Jim K said:

I would have loved to see him dance with Juliet Prowse.  In fact, I would have liked to see more of her in the movies.  

As for the men, as long as we are fantasizing I'll go big and ask for a trio of Astaire, Balanchine and Robbins.

Is there any footage of Jerome Robbins dancing? I've searched in vane for some.

1 hour ago, Pat221b said:

Rita Hayworth reportedly said the only pictures she made that she liked were COVER GIRL and the two she made with Mr. Astaire. She's a lovely dancer.

Her dancing in AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD is sensational. I also like her dancing in THE LOVES OF CARMEN.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 5:10 PM, TopBilled said:

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 2.11.55 PM.jpg

I'd say he probably dumbed down his routines with Paulette Goddard. She was definitely not a dancer but bravely took the assignment and wanted to work with him.

Joan Fontaine definitely was not a dancer either.

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 2.12.23 PM.jpg

Paulette was game for anything.  I really find her a likable star although not a great actress. Gorgeous to be sure.  Smart. Sassy.  I'm a novice tap dancer.  When I want to lay down my taps hard, I think of Gene as my partner, but when I want to be showcased, I imagine Fred is my partner.  Like Paulette, I'd give anything to dance with Fred -- who I've always invoked as my guardian angel that lifts me up when I'm in the dumps.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2018 at 12:21 AM, Brittany Ashley said:

Rita Hayworth! Surprised no one mentioned her yet. 

He supposedly said she was his favorite dancing partner.

Rita is my first pick for Fred after Ginger because she compliments him so well. Both Rita and Cyd are a whole lot of sexy for Fred to balance. Cyd is overpowering to him, I feel -- more suited to Gene. Rita is perfect with everyone and everything.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Her dancing in AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD is sensational. I also like her dancing in THE LOVES OF CARMEN.

As I've said, I like Rita in anything and everything. When I tap, I am "Rita!" She is magic.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Mitzie would have been great with Fred. I do love Mitzie. I'd like to see Catherine Zeta Jones tap with him, but as I said previously with Cyd and Rita, they are a whole lot of sexy woman for Fred.  Catherine would be too, but I'd still like to see it. How about Bebe Neuirth?  She'd be ideal, I think.

On 6/9/2018 at 8:48 AM, TopBilled said:

I watched Caron last night in CHOCOLAT (2000). She plays a supporting role and looks a bit frail. It was hard to believe she was the same woman who danced with Fred and Gene years earlier.

I love Leslie Caron.  She matches with everyone well.  Time leaves no one untouched -- except for Sophia Loren.

On 6/7/2018 at 5:18 PM, starryeyzze said:

Ann Miller’s solo routine in Easter Parade is spectacular.  But they I don’t think they actually danced together. I need to review the movie. 

It's funny to notice in "Easter Parade" that Ann is wearing heels during the ensemble production number "Magazine Cover" on the Ziegfeld rooftop.  But she's in slippers right after when she brings Fred onstage for their dance together to "It Only Happens." She must have been slightly taller. Either way, she's an ace!

• Like 2