Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 6/10/2018 at 8:42 PM, LonsdaleofArabia said:

I also really like the clothes from "GIGI"

Yes. I thought it was interesting that for the last shots in Gigi and My Fair Lady, costume designer Cecil Beaton used very similar colors on the final dresses.  To me this symbolized they had come into their own, and they were going to set the terms of how they would proceed in their relationships. Gigi is now the married matron walking among society women, and Eliza, having blossomed like an English rose, has decided to come back but she won't be dictated to anymore ("what a fool I was"). This mauve-pink color was popular in that period.    

1488077888_Gigi3cropped.jpg.f621a1fcecc2c3d935132e94fe427604.jpg125712302_FairLady4cropped.jpg.474a11af388e7b94055e41a93f06259e.jpg1073493843_Early1900sdresses.jpg.41031cb64ecc19abc2b67aa64ef315db.jpg 

• Like 3
On 6/8/2018 at 12:22 AM, Dale Tremont said:

I don't know anything about costumes either, but boy, do I love to see them! ?

I'm glad you brought the subject up because women's gowns were truly important in musicals. Especially in the movies Fred and Ginger did, as Ginger wanted her clothes to flow and become part of the dance (which they actually did, as many of her gowns are iconic). I actually don't think those dance numbers would have been the same if it weren't for Ginger's beautiful gowns, because they did a great job emphasizing the emotions and the gracefulness of those two. 

And regarding the Continental dress (if that's the one you mean, maybe?), I always thought it was wonderful, and that the colors were silver and purple for some reason, so it's close enough to your prediction! I don't know what the actual colours were though, but I bet someone else does. I hope! ?

continental.jpg

Yes! That's the dress!

15 hours ago, Pastiche said:

Yes. I thought it was interesting that for the last shots in Gigi and My Fair Lady, costume designer Cecil Beaton used very similar colors on the final dresses.  To me this symbolized they had come into their own, and they were going to set the terms of how they would proceed in their relationships. Gigi is now the married matron walking among society women, and Eliza, having blossomed like an English rose, has decided to come back but she won't be dictated to anymore ("what a fool I was"). This mauve-pink color was popular in that period.    

1488077888_Gigi3cropped.jpg.f621a1fcecc2c3d935132e94fe427604.jpg125712302_FairLady4cropped.jpg.474a11af388e7b94055e41a93f06259e.jpg1073493843_Early1900sdresses.jpg.41031cb64ecc19abc2b67aa64ef315db.jpg 

I did a little bit of historical costuming for street theater, and these are historical costumes of the era. I love looking at clothes through the lens of history because we see how women were expected to behave - what the expectations and *class* of the person/character were, by the clothes they wore.

I absolutely love the costumes from the Golden Age of Hollywood! How I wish a course would be designed by TCM just for this very topic. There was a fabulous book written a few years ago all about Monroe and her costumes in film and the designers that created them. I lost my copy in a move awhile back and I haven’t been able to find it or remember the title. Perhaps someone here is familiar with it?