Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 6/7/2018 at 5:25 PM, Kathie2 said:

I never got through Seven Brides either.  ?

I got through Seven Brides but was very disappointed in it.  I thought the dance scene at the barn raising was spectacular but the rest of the movie went downhill after that.

• Like 1
On 6/7/2018 at 3:21 PM, JDC_NYC said:

goofiness ... the singing is horrid and the acting is marginal ... 2 hours viewing it were 90% wasted!

Exactly what I felt about Calamity Jane, (except I didn't make it through 2 hours) mostly because of Doris Day. I think she has a lovely voice but the ludicrous accent, exaggerted mannerisms, and horrible acting just made it intolerable. I couldn't watch it. 

I quite enjoyed Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, mostly because I think Howard Keel is quite fetching in buckskin.  

I'm fascinated by the honest opinions and insightful comments that everyone has offered about the various films. I appreciate the opportunity to explore and discuss the course material.  I'm actually enjoying this course more than I thought I would and learning a lot!    

On 6/7/2018 at 6:17 PM, Princess of Tap said:

... too much tap dancing for people who are not into it. But in the 1930s tap dancing was the most popular form of dance in the movies. 

No such thing as too much tap dancing!  It's my favourite dance form and something I always wanted to learn but never had the opportunity. It seems to be a lost art.  All the greats are gone (I think Gregory Hines was the last).  No one really tapdances any more and that makes me sad.     

On June 7, 2018 at 7:21 PM, MotherofZeus said:

So perhaps your "Born to Dance" is my "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" as I can't get through it.  Just can't despite the merit everyone claims. 

Relieved to see at least three others w/similar misgivings about SBSB. I barely got out of the box on this one. Couldn't get past the first musical number. 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Charlie's Girl said:

No such thing as too much tap dancing!  It's my favourite dance form and something I always wanted to learn but never had the opportunity. It seems to be a lost art.  All the greats are gone (I think Gregory Hines was the last).  No one really tapdances any more and that makes me sad.     

I taught myself and tap at home. I make up routines.  It would be fun to have someone to do a number with, and I guess I could take a course.  However, I do enjoy just tossing my shoes on and tapping my trouble away.  It is delightful fun.  I've often wanted to buy one of those little portable tap floors that's tiny but that I could shuffle ball change or buffalo or cramp roll.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Zea said:

Relieved to see at least three others w/similar misgivings about SBSB. I barely got out of the box on this one. Couldn't get past the first musical number. 

I understand.  I forced myself through it to be able to definitively say I do not like it. I've now watched it completely uninterrupted twice, and I can say it does nothing for me. In fact, it irritates me, so I skipped it this time around. I put on my copy of The Music Man where Marion Madam Librarian has her cake and eats it too. Besides, I get to watch Buddy Hackett "Shipoopi" (a terribly guilty pleasure of mine).  I don't know why the choreography which is so similar to SBFSB isn't as annoying to me. I think it may be the colors aren't as hideous and the plot is oh so much superior. 

7 hours ago, Charlie's Girl said:

Exactly what I felt about Calamity Jane, (except I didn't make it through 2 hours) mostly because of Doris Day. I think she has a lovely voice but the ludicrous accent, exaggerted mannerisms, and horrible acting just made it intolerable. I couldn't watch it. 

I quite enjoyed Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, mostly because I think Howard Keel is quite fetching in buckskin.  

I'm fascinated by the honest opinions and insightful comments that everyone has offered about the various films. I appreciate the opportunity to explore and discuss the course material.  I'm actually enjoying this course more than I thought I would and learning a lot!    

"fetching", eh???  ha ha - cute comment.  I didn't like him very much until watching some of these films again recently.  And I too feel it is good that people are speaking their minds.  Not sure how much I've learned, but that could be a fault of my own.  Oh - almost forgot to add that I too am a HUGE fan of Charlie!

• Like 1