Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Swing Time "Pick Myself Up" Dance Routine: What's yours?

12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Taking a cue from one of the earliest responses:

COUPLE: Fred & Ginger in Top Hat dancing to "Cheek to Cheek." Plus it features Ginger's infamous feather gown.

GROUP: I'd have to second the vote for "Good Morning" featuring Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds.

INDIVIDUAL: Gene Kelly singing the title song in Singin' in the Rain.  Has one dance number and song ever emitted so much joy? I defy anyone to watch this routine and not be cheered up by it.

Your individual selection is excellent.  I know it is superior to Gene's performance in American in Paris to I've Got Rhythm, but I would argue Gene's performance is equally joyful with the children.   Gene is a safe bet for sure. 

10 hours ago, MotherofZeus said:

I love your choices.  I've been developing a new appreciation for Ruby Keeler.  I'm going to have to study her biography as I don't know why she didn't hit the same fan level that Ginger and Fred did. Is it because of her life with Al Jolson, or was it that she never found her partner like Fred and Ginger or Jeanette And Nelson? Or am I missing something and ignorant in my admission?

Keeler and Powell would be the closest comparison I could draw to an Astaire-Rogers level partnership. I have always had a bit of an affinity for Keeler as a Canadian-born star who played in some wonderful musicals during my favourite decade for them. At the same time though, there is something quite dated about her appeal and perhaps her early retirement from film in the 1940s also contributed to her not really staying in the public's memory or affection as much as other esteemed stars from that era. 

She almost played each part in a "who, me?" type of way. Like she didn't quite know how she got there, but she was going to sing and dance her heart out anyways. There was a green-ness to her whole aura in front of the camera. And I quite like the somewhat technically unpolished, non-MGM-esque way in which she presented herself as a musical leading lady. I mean, Ruby and Dick were just the cutest and I'm glad they enjoyed their capsule of success together when they did.