Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have probably seen the Wizard of Oz about 100 times. Last night I noticed something I never heard before. When the wicked witch sent the flying monkeys out to fetch Dorothy, I heard her say "I'm going to send some insects ahead of you to take the fight out if them" I knew they cut the jitterbug scene out, but never noticed this line still being in the movie. 

Anybody else notice this or other things?

• Like 2

So very much enjoyed watching The Wizard of Oz again last night. It was all the more fun watching doing the live Twitter feed on TMC #TCMusicals. 

I didn’t think I’d stay awake for it all but I made it ?  Miss Gulch still haunts me. 

Loved the clip from Mr. Rogers. One wonders if Gregory Maguire saw this before he wrote WickedSeeing things from the WWW's viewpoint does make a difference in understanding her and finding her less frightening and more misunderstood.

Definitely a favorite childhood movie.

• Like 2

I am so glad that the interview with Mr. Rogers and Margaret Hamilton was posted. I worked for PBS and almost went to work for the Mr. Rogers production team (got married instead). Fred Rogers is exactly the man you see - kind and very smart and understands communicating with children. I miss him. 

• Like 5

The Wizard of Oz makes fond childhood memories for me.  Every year when it was on, my mom would serve us dinner in the family room on little trays so we could sit in front of the screen and watch (you can tell my age...we had ONE family TV and 5 channels...begin guessing...now) I remember that film being sooooooooo very long only to find out as an adult it's only 1:42 without commercials!!  I used to cry like a baby when Dorothy would claim: there's no place like home.  

• Like 3

My favorite scene is when they make it to the Emerald City and speak with the gatekeeper.  He turns them away until Dorothy shows him her ruby slippers and they explain why they want to see the Wizard.

GATEKEEPER: Who rang that bell?

DOROTHY, SCARECROW, et. al. explain their predicament.

GATEKEEPER: Well bust my buttons! That's a horse of a different color! Come on in!

I also love the Flying monkeys.  I know. 

Least favorite scenes: The Munchkin part.  I don't like them.

The only part I like is when the munchkins say:

NORMAL VOICE: Follow the yellow brick road

HIGH PITCHED VOICE: Follow the yellow brick road

RASPY DEEP VOICE: Follow the yellow brick road

I also wasn't a fan of many of the scenes with Glinda because she got on my nerves. Give me the Wicked Witch of the West any day of the week! As the legal next of kin, she was also the rightful heir to the ruby slippers and Glinda had no right to give them to Dorothy.

• Like 1

My cousin and I would always watch Wizard of Oz on Thanksgiving Day after we ate.  This was back in the 70's when they showed it on broadcast TV.  I love when Dorothy started down the Yellow Brick Road, didnt like when the witch cornered her in the castle and of course, always teared up when Dorothy said good bye to the lion, tin man and scarecrow at the end.

I love the quote, “well what would you do with a brain if you had one?”. I also particularly love when Glinda says, “ such a smell of sulphur”. For some reason that always makes me laugh!

i always found it kind of creepy when after the Ruby Slippers appear on Dorothy’s feet the legs of the Witch of the East roll up and disappear under the house.

• Like 1

It’s funny that I was just watching the PBS special for the 50th Anniversary of Mr. Rogers and saw that clip with Margaret Hamilton just this week. I don’t remember ever seeing it before, it must have happened after I stopped watching Mr. Rogers.

Having failed to find this to watch this week (and failed to watch it a few weeks ago,  on one of my cable channels, before I knew about this course) I now find that a local theatre is showing it as a Saturday matinee on June 23rd.  My dilemma now: do I want to watch it with a theatre full of school kids?  Hmm...

• Like 2

This was the very first movie I saw. I was five years old in 1953 and my grandmother took me to see the theatrical re-release. During the tornado scene, when Miss Gultch turns into the witch....terrified me! Watching this on TV with my children later on, they would laugh when I closed my eyes as Dorothy's house went spinning. It created a deep fear of tornado's.

My favorite scenes - the Lullaby League and the Lollipop kids singing to Dorothy and the "boys" donning the uniforms to enter the witch's castle,... with the Lion's tale wagging behind him.

My favorite part of the film has to be Ray Bolger's manner of speech, and Bert Lahr's to a point. Specifically, their tendency to detach the "n" or "m" from an article and place it on the following noun. My three favorite lines:

From Ray Bolger:

"Some people without brains do a nawful lot of talking."

(Pounding Jack Haley's torso) "What a necho!"

And from Bert Lahr:

"Put emmup! Put emmup!"

Beyond that, I was always scared of the film when I was a kid. Of Margaret Hamilton, naturally. It wasn't until I was actually playing a munchkin in a civic theatre production of the show that I got over it - the Wicked Witch was one of the nicest ladies in the cast. Many years later, I got to come full circle and play the Wizard. Such a great show!

• Like 1

I love this movie and it was an annual ritual for our family. My brother and I can do entire scenes and all the songs. I like when Auntie Em says she would like to tell Ms. Gulch how she feels but being a Christian woman she can’t. My favorite scene is arrival in munchkin land. The scariest is the flying monkeys getting everyone.

My favorite funny line is when the Scarecrow has been ripped apart by the flying monkeys, and the Tinman says, "That's you all over!"

This has always been my favorite movie, ever since I was five and my parents let me stay up to watch it on TV, tucking me up on the sofa in my PJs and a blanket, in case I fell asleep. (I didn't.)

I often use the line, "Click your heels together and repeat 'There's no place like home.'" Admittedly, I do not use it in the way it was intended. As a project manager, I often found clients or team members who expected the new project to result in exactly the same process or product they were trying so hard to replace.

As a little girl, I was terrified as Dorothy watched the sand run out in the hour glass. Scarier than the tornado!

Hi. My favorite scene is when Dorthy opens the door to Oz and it is so beautiful. Favorite quote is "There's no place like home." Least favorite scenes, is any scene with the monkeys. 

Like many have commented, I was absolutely terrified of the witch and the flying monkeys as a little girl.  They used to give me nightmares!  That didn't stop me from watching, though.

Favorite Part:  Bert Lahr's tail

This has always been my favorite movie. There are no bad scenes as far as I’m concerned but the Wizard’s huge head always frightened me when I was little. My favorite part is when the Wizard gives the Tim Man his “ heart” and says “A heart is not judged by how much you love but how much you are loved by others.”

• Like 2

Being the dog lover that I am, my favorite is when Dorothy is singing "Over the Rainbow" and Toto is watching her so intently and then lifts his foot up for her to take.  Very sweet moment. 

4 hours ago, Elizabeth Milne said:

Having failed to find this to watch this week (and failed to watch it a few weeks ago,  on one of my cable channels, before I knew about this course) I now find that a local theatre is showing it as a Saturday matinee on June 23rd.  My dilemma now: do I want to watch it with a theatre full of school kids?  Hmm...

Wow I can't even imagine what the experience will be seeing on a big screen. I'm jealous! :) I'm guessing the kids will all be at the front of theater. Don't know if your theater has a balcony or not but if they do, sit there. Or as far back as you can. You should be fine. Enjoy!

Love your name, by the way. Are you related to Christopher Robin? (Do you hear that a lot?)

• Thanks 1

Favorite scene: The poppy field scene. I know that's a little strange to mention in a musical since it's not a number (except for "Optimistic Voices" at the end of it), but I love everything about this scene. The poppy field set is gorgeous and massive. When the gang runs across the field in excitement at seeing the Emerald City, it's one of the few times in the film where there's this sense of unbridled joy. Don't get me wrong: Oz is definitely a joyous film, but Ben Mankiewicz had a point in the outro for the film when he said he thought of it as a drama for children. The characters are often in peril (which they are literally 15 seconds later) or are anxious, even if done for comedic effect. Here, they're just so excited that their journey's paid off.

Once we get to the actual perilous aspect of the sequence, the film manages that tricky balance of being suspenseful while still hilarious ("There's no use screaming at a time like this! No one will here you - HEEEELLLLP!"). Once the conflict is resolved, we're back to that sense of joy with the quartet marching to Emerald City in one of many iconic shots in the film.

Least favorite: I feel guilty saying this, but "If I Were King of the Forest" would be it for me. The reason I feel guilty is because the Lion is my character, and the scene is admittedly a good showcase for Bert Lahr's talents. But it comes way too late in the film and, musically, is the least melodious. The Lion should've had a longer version of "If I Only Had the Nerve" instead that could've covered the exact same ground (what his reign would be like as King), only this time with a catchier tune and a more logical placement (his intro in the forest). That said, I still like the sequence, and that says a lot about this film - my least favorite thing about it is still something enjoyable to me. 

52 minutes ago, TheMadKiwi said:

The Lion should've had a longer version of "If I Only Had the Nerve" instead that could've covered the exact same ground (what his reign would be like as King), only this time with a catchier tune and a more logical placement (his intro in the forest).

There are lyrics for the Lion's "If I Only Had the Nerve".  Michael Feinstein sings them on his MGM album.  I think they went something like this:

Life is sad believe me missy
When you're born to be a sissy
Without the vim and verve.
But I could change my habits,
Never more be scared of rabbits
If I only had the nerve.

I'm afraid there's no denyin'
I'm just a dandy lion,
A fate I don't deserve.
But I could show my prowess,
Be a lion, not a mow-ess,
If I only had the nerve.

Oh, I'd be in my pride,
A king down to the core.
I would roar the way I've never roared before.
And then I'd woof
And roar some more.

Oh I would show the dinosaurus
Who's king around this fores',
A king he'd better serve.
Why with my regal beezer
I could be another Caesar,
If I only had the nerve.

I'm kind of surprised about this, but I think I'm the first one to say that "Over the Rainbow" is my favorite part of the movie.  I don't have a least favorite part.

Edited:  Michael can do it better than I can.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BlueMoods said:

Wow I can't even imagine what the experience will be seeing on a big screen. I'm jealous! :) I'm guessing the kids will all be at the front of theater. Don't know if your theater has a balcony or not but if they do, sit there. Or as far back as you can. You should be fine. Enjoy!

Love your name, by the way. Are you related to Christopher Robin? (Do you hear that a lot?)

No relation, unfortunately, but I have been to the Ashdown Forest (100 Acre Wood) :)

I think you are right, I shouldn't miss the chance to see this on the big screen, should I?

• Like 2