Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Quiz is Born (For Week 1) The Canvas site would not let me move on to the 3rd question after getting the first 2 right. 
That page reverts/flips back to the Syllabus page 
Anyone else experiencing this?
Are there only 2 questions? 

It was Binnie Barnes who played the socialite Donna Lyons that was the target of the three smart girls, not Alice Brady who played Donna's mother, Mrs. Lyons (thank you IMDB) :)

Hey, I tell you what.  If the Saturday quiz is anything like A Quiz is Born then I'm either going to flunk it or else spend an hour to complete it, looking everything up online.  This was big time trivia.  Nothing really from the daily lectures or the Daily Doses.  Nothing really form the video lectures or the podcast.  Ones I got right were just educated guesses.  Very different from the comparable quiz game for the Hitchcock class.  Or have I simply not been paying attention?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, GeezerNoir said:

Hey, I tell you what.  If the Saturday quiz is anything like A Quiz is Born then I'm either going to flunk it or else spend an hour to complete it, looking everything up online.  This was big time trivia.  Nothing really from the daily lectures or the Daily Doses.  Nothing really form the video lectures or the podcast.  Ones I got right were just educated guesses.  Very different from the comparable quiz game for the Hitchcock class.  Or have I simply not been paying attention?

I'm with you GeezerNoir. I bombed out. I don't think you missed the discussions on the questions because they don't exist anywhere in my notes, etc. either. It seemed more a General Knowledge quiz. So I'm even more nervous now about Saturday's quiz....

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, CynthiaV said:

I'm with you GeezerNoir. I bombed out. I don't think you missed the discussions on the questions because they don't exist anywhere in my notes, etc. either. It seemed more a General Knowledge quiz. So I'm even more nervous now about Saturday's quiz....

Probably no need to be nervous (he said while typing with quivering hands). Most likely this quiz game is intended to be a General Knowledge thing.  It's just that the comparable quiz game for Hitchcock was very helpful in preparing for the Saturday quiz and this one appears to be pretty much useless for that purpose.  Probably the majority will find it to be a fun challenge, but I must confess that I didn't.  Perhaps it's my advanced age.  Whatever.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GeezerNoir said:

Probably no need to be nervous (he said while typing with quivering hands). Most likely this quiz game is intended to be a General Knowledge thing.  It's just that the comparable quiz game for Hitchcock was very helpful in preparing for the Saturday quiz and this one appears to be pretty much useless for that purpose.  Probably the majority will find it to be a fun challenge, but I must confess that I didn't.  Perhaps it's my advanced age.  Whatever.

I didn't take the Hitchcock course but I did take the Slapstick coutse with Dr. Edwards back in 2016 (I think...age is playing games with me too!) I can't recall.these types of pre-quizzes in that course but the actual quizzes were totallty derived from his lectures, Daily Doses and class notes. I'm hoping more of the same here.  Not only am I seeing the increased innovation and technical progression in the musical genre but also in the TCM/Ball State MOOC course!

• Like 1

Yes, GeezerNoir, you are correct, there is no reason to be nervous.

I hope everyone appreciates that we are constantly trying to improve the course experience, which means occasionally being adventurous and trying something new.

Well, we tried something new, and there is always a chance that it won't work. Please remember that A Quiz is Born is a game, just a game, not the Weekly Content Quiz. 

In Hitchcock, we kept the questions in Strangers on a Quiz (which was what we called A Quiz is Born back then) more in line with the course material, but with Musicals, we thought it would be fun to challenge musicals fans with a bit more of a challenging trivia quiz. Probably a bit too tough for many of the students in the course, so we will adjust. 

But please, no panicking! The Weekly Quiz is based on the lecture notes, the lecture videos, the Daily Dose, and one podcast. And you will be fine and get a nice grade if you have followed along with the five modules this week.

Hope this helps!

And in our defense, it is always hard to find that line between too easy and too hard - if we make it too easy, the hard core fans find it boring; if we make it too hard, the more casual finds find it too difficult.

But I will try to calibrate as needed - this week's "for fun only!!!" quiz, A Quiz is Born, is probably a bit too tough.

Thoughts?  

Best, Richard

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I agree with these guys.  Maybe I'm missing something, but few if any of the questions had anything to do with what was discussed during the week.  I just guessed and have no idea what the right answers were. While I'm venting -- some of us still work for a living; I was able to watch 5 or 6 movies this week - out of the approximately 30 that were shown (still have one that I taped).  6 films are recommended, but those are not always the films that are discussed. Also, I was expecting more of a classroom situation where the lecture notes were bullet points and the teacher expounded on them.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Rich Edwards said:

I hope everyone appreciates that we are constantly trying to improve the course experience, which means occasionally being adventurous and trying something new.

Well, we tried something new, and there is always a chance that it won't work. Please remember that A Quiz is Born is a game, just a game, not the Weekly Content Quiz. 

In Hitchcock, we kept the questions in Strangers on a Quiz (which was what we called A Quiz is Born back then) more in line with the course material, but with Musicals, we thought it would be fun to challenge musicals fans with a bit more of a challenging trivia quiz. Probably a bit too tough for many of the students in the course, so we will adjust. 

But please, no panicking! The Weekly Quiz is based on the lecture notes, the lecture videos, the Daily Dose, and one podcast. And you will be fine and get a nice grade if you have followed along with the five modules this week.

Hope this helps!

And in our defense, it is always hard to find that line between too easy and too hard - if we make it too easy, the hard core fans find it boring; if we make it too hard, the more casual finds find it too difficult.

But I will try to calibrate as needed - this week's "for fun only!!!" quiz, A Quiz is Born, is probably a bit too tough.

Thoughts?  

Best, Richard

Thanks, Dr. Edwards.  I absolutely understand what you're saying.  You gotta experiment a bit and give the envelope a little poke now and then to keep things moving forward.  And that Goldilocks zone is HARD to find for sure.  Your quizzes have always been very fair and I'm sure that will continue to be the case.  And I have enjoyed all of your classes a great deal.  So THANK YOU!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rick LaRoche said:

I agree with these guys.  Maybe I'm missing something, but few if any of the questions had anything to do with what was discussed during the week.  I just guessed and have no idea what the right answers were. While I'm venting -- some of us still work for a living; I was able to watch 5 or 6 movies this week - out of the approximately 30 that were shown (still have one that I taped).  6 films are recommended, but those are not always the films that are discussed. Also, I was expecting more of a classroom situation where the lecture notes were bullet points and the teacher expounded on them.

Hi Rick,

I fully understand. When we did our first course back in 2015, we had 125 films noir to contend with and only focused on a handful of films. It is the nature of the situation - We at Ball State get to connect to an amazing programming initiative on TCM but as course designers, we only have four weeks and limited time to create a learning experience around that programming. 

So yes, there are 90 films in the festival, but we make watching any film optional. We know that the students will watch what they can and we also encourage everyone to watch as many films as possible because viewing the films themselves are the best way to learn about musicals!

The course itself operates around a daily modular structure which involve a topic focus and an era. We try to methodically go through the decades and introduce students in the course to some of the major innovations in the movie musicals by decade: the 1930s, the 1940s, the 1950s, etc. 

Due to time limitations, we can only have brief engagements with each topic focus and era. But hopefully, our approach provides a launching pad for further inquiries into the genre, whether that involves individuals reading some more books on the topics discussed or just watching more classic films over time and seeing how they fit into the course's approach to the genre. 

The basic glue that ties everything together is the course is arranged chronologically and focused on only a handful of key topics that repeat each week. I tend to think that if students stick with the course they may find the style of teaching and the materials make more sense in the second week as the lessons of the first week are expanded upon in the second week, and so on.

Thanks!

Richard Edwards

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. Rich Edwards said:

To paraphrase SOME LIKE IT HOT, No game's perfect ?

Dr. Edwards.  Guess I stirred up a bit of controversy and I didn't mean to.  So sorry about that, but I'm thinking that there is a plus side.  Now this thread can be a valuable resource for answering other students' concerns about the first Quiz is Born game (and no doubt there will be some).  There's always a plus side if you look for it (and I look for it whenever I mess up [which tends to be kinda often]).

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Dr. Rich Edwards said:

Hope this helps!

Thoughts?  

Best, Richard

Thks Dr. Edwards for your explanation and reassurances. That sound you heard was me exhaling. I am a bit of a perfectionist so for me to bomb a quiz for fun or otherwise is painful. Many will say, dont take it so seriously but that reaction is somewhat limited in perfectionists.

I'm a musical genre nut. I love musicals which many here, probably  all, will loudly proclaim as well. But my love of musicals is more from my gut, or I should say from my heart. I love what I love because it appeals to me at an emotional level. That is one big reason I signed up for this coursr. So that I could learn the cultural and theoretical importance of these films. The hows, whats and wherefores of the stars, the studios, producers, directors, choreographers, script writers, film editors, foley artists etc behind the scenes. All the nuances I didnt know before. And I have learned so much even just in the first week!

This is no condemnation of the course or the fun quiz. It's only an explanation.of my reasons for taking the course and my expectations. I expect to be challenged but not to the point where I'm discouraged. This quiz discouraged me bc as many others I guessed at the answers. I enjoy learning. I love it. But not to the point of pain.

That's all I wanted to say about it. Thanks for asking for input and your willingness to look at the difficulty level of the questions.

• Like 2

Absolutely. I like the kinda dust you kick up, GeezerNoir! A little controversy is always fine, as long as everyone remains civil. 

This is my fourth course I've designed for TCM and I always realize that I hope the students are flexible because I am flexible. If something isn't working or not quite right, I hope you speak up. That is how these courses get better. By the same token, I just hope if something isn't quite right, everyone gives me and my team a moment to fix it as it is a massive undertaking each summer to bring this to the public. But we all love it, and hope you all do too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, CynthiaV said:

Thks Dr. Edwards for your explanation and reassurances. That sound you heard was me exhaling. I am a bit of a perfectionist so for me to bomb a quiz for fun or otherwise is painful. Many will say, dont take it so seriously but that reaction is somewhat limited in perfectionists.

I'm a musical genre nut. I love musicals which many here, probably  all, will loudly proclaim as well. But my love of musicals is more from my gut, or I should say from my heart. I love what I love because it appeals to me at an emotional level. That is one big reason I signed up for this coursr. So that I could learn the cultural and theoretical importance of these films. The hows, whats and wherefores of the stars, the studios, producers, directors, choreographers, script writers, film editors, foley artists etc behind the scenes. All the nuances I didnt know before.

This is no condemnation of the course or the fun quiz. It's only an explanation.of my reasons for taking the course and my expectations. I expect to he challenged but not to the point where I'm discouraged. This quiz discouraged me bc as many others I guessed at the answers. I enjoy learning. I love it. But not to the point of pain.

That's all I wanted to say about it. Thanks for asking for input and your willingness to look at the difficulty level.of the questions.

Absolutely, Cynthia! We are in agreement.

I would say: challenging is good, frustrating is bad. Having to be prepared is good, needing to be prepared beyond all rhyme and reason, um, not so good. 

And let me reassure you, we make these courses for you, not for us. So my team and I like all your feedback, even feedback that isn't praise or thank you.

You are investing your time in this, and we want you to always feel you are getting something important and valuable for that time investment. Maybe you don't have to pay for these courses, but I live by the credo that your time is as important as your money - so we are mindful of our responsibility here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2018 at 4:28 PM, Dr. Rich Edwards said:

Absolutely, Cynthia! We are in agreement.

I would say: challenging is good, frustrating is bad. Having to be prepared is good, needing to be prepared beyond all rhyme and reason, um, not so good. 

And let me reassure you, we make these courses for you, not for us. So my team and I like all your feedback, even feedback that isn't praise or thank you.

You are investing your time in this, and we want you to always feel you are getting something important and valuable for that time investment. Maybe you don't have to pay for these courses, but I live by the credo that your time is as important as your money - so we are mindful of our responsibility here. 

Thks again Dr. Edwards. I learned you were a commited teacher, true to teaching to the objectives of the course and committed to your students when I took your Slapstick course.

As an aside, I listened today to your and Dr. Ament's podcast. Wow! The things I learned not only specifics of the course but just as importantly how to approach the course, how to attune to what you both and all concerned are teaching us and what to pay specific attention to. It was all so helpful to me. It is obvious that you, Drs. Ament and Gehring and Gary Rydstrom love what you do and wish not only to impart your knowledge but your love and appreciation of film musicals and all film to us your students as well. Many thanks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Rich Edwards said:

Hi Rick,

I fully understand. When we did our first course back in 2015, we had 125 films noir to contend with and only focused on a handful of films. It is the nature of the situation - We at Ball State get to connect to an amazing programming initiative on TCM but as course designers, we only have four weeks and limited time to create a learning experience around that programming. 

So yes, there are 90 films in the festival, but we make watching any film optional. We know that the students will watch what they can and we also encourage everyone to watch as many films as possible because viewing the films themselves are the best way to learn about musicals!

The course itself operates around a daily modular structure which involve a topic focus and an era. We try to methodically go through the decades and introduce students in the course to some of the major innovations in the movie musicals by decade: the 1930s, the 1940s, the 1950s, etc. 

Due to time limitations, we can only have brief engagements with each topic focus and era. But hopefully, our approach provides a launching pad for further inquiries into the genre, whether that involves individuals reading some more books on the topics discussed or just watching more classic films over time and seeing how they fit into the course's approach to the genre. 

The basic glue that ties everything together is the course is arranged chronologically and focused on only a handful of key topics that repeat each week. I tend to think that if students stick with the course they may find the style of teaching and the materials make more sense in the second week as the lessons of the first week are expanded upon in the second week, and so on.

Thanks!

Richard Edwards

Thanks for your reply.  I understand your position. However, I would like to see the faculty chose 3-5 films each week to discuss in more detail with suggestions as to which of the remaining 30 or so films might be worth watching sooner rather than later.  Again, thanks and I am willing to admit that the problem might be more with me than with youl

6 hours ago, JWall said:

A Quiz is Born (For Week 1) The Canvas site would not let me move on to the 3rd question after getting the first 2 right. 
That page reverts/flips back to the Syllabus page 
Anyone else experiencing this?
Are there only 2 questions? 

I can't move beyond the first question... it flips back to the syllabus page. I'm using Chrome as my browser on a laptop

Wow that was tough. Whoever my competitor was, my hat's off to you. You scored more than twice what I did. Ah well, as long as it's not for a grade. But it's making me a little nervous about the quiz tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, BlueMoods said:

Wow that was tough. Whoever my competitor was, my hat's off to you. You scored more than twice what I did. Ah well, as long as it's not for a grade. But it's making me a little nervous about the quiz tomorrow.

Not to worry, BlueMoods.  That issue was addressed very nicely and fully by Dr. Edwards earlier in this thread.  There's no direct relationship between the Quiz is Born game and the Saturday quiz for a grade.  Relax and enjoy another movie!

28 minutes ago, GeezerNoir said:

Not to worry, BlueMoods.  That issue was addressed very nicely and fully by Dr. Edwards earlier in this thread.  There's no direct relationship between the Quiz is Born game and the Saturday quiz for a grade.  Relax and enjoy another movie!

Just got through watching the Wizard of Oz. I didn't get to watch it last night because my son called me. But that's what the DVR is for. :)

• Like 1

I was wondering why I got the Binnie Barnes question wrong.  It just so happens last night I had "Three Smart Girls" playing on the TV while I was doing some of the class work from earlier in the week so I wasn't paying all that much attention, but I have seen it before so I did know that one.  Naturally no one likes to fail even if it is "trivia" so it is hard to tell ourselves...This is only a test, I mean quiz, and it's supposed to be fun.  So I thank you Dr.E.