Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone had trouble with the answers for the first quiz? I have taken it twice and answers that I know are correct are marked as incorrect. Even more strange, the quiz says that the answer is correct and gives an explanation about its correct, yet the question is still marked incorrect. I'm confused, needless to say. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I answered the 1st question & quit. Before this class, I hadn't watched a musical from this era in decades ( not counting the Wizzard of Oz). I don't know any actor/actress names unless they were focused on this week. Didn't bother me too much. I think there is nothing wrong with making a fun game for the fans participating.  However, I think in the future you should make it clear in the title that the game is optional or just for fun. The word "Quiz" made me think it had to do with course material. Not a complaint, just a suggestion.

Oh, yeah! I answered all of the questions correctly and was marked as incorrect on 9 of them.

Trust me.  I answered ALL of them CORRECTLY.

Here's one example.

Example removed because it revealed correct answer to quiz question.

Clearly something is amiss here.  But don't panic, folks.  It will be fixed, and soon too.  Not to worry.

I figured it'd be fixed soon. I just went back and answered the way the quiz wanted this to be answered. While I don't pretend to be a complete expert on classic movies, I've spent a lot of time (as I'm sure most of us have) studying them. I was confused about the Irving Thalberg one and the Judy Garland/Wizard of Oz one in particular. 

It'll be fixed, lpetiti.  May be tomorrow morning, though.  People back east are probably asleep right now.  Don't worry.  Be happy.  Wouldn't take it any more till it's proclaimed fixed, though.

I was sick for part of this week with the flu, so I still have a couple of modules to catch up on.  I’m confused as to whether this quiz has to be completed today or can be taken at a later date - I could be ready to take it on Monday. Does anyone know?  I’d like to get the Certificate for the course, so I don’t want to miss this quiz.  Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  ?? 

- Caitlin Rose 

On 6/8/2018 at 12:37 PM, Dr. Rich Edwards said:

with Musicals, we thought it would be fun to challenge musicals fans with a bit more of a challenging trivia quiz. Probably a bit too tough for many of the students in the course, so we will adjust. 

But please, no panicking! The Weekly Quiz is based on the lecture notes, the lecture videos, the Daily Dose, and one podcast. And you will be fine and get a nice grade if you have followed along with the five modules this week.

"Challenging"' is a nice word.  But any college professor who gives a quiz on information s/he did not cover is a poor instructor.  That said, I don't know what was covered in the video lectures because they do not load for me.  I am relying on lecture notes and all the rest of the things in the modules.  I've taken two other TCM courses (I opted out of the Hitchcock one because I am not such a big fan) and the those two were excellent.  I'm not even sure I will finish this one.  It's so poorly organized. 

1 hour ago, Caitlin Rose said:

I was sick for part of this week with the flu, so I still have a couple of modules to catch up on.  I’m confused as to whether this quiz has to be completed today or can be taken at a later date - I could be ready to take it on Monday. Does anyone know?  I’d like to get the Certificate for the course, so I don’t want to miss this quiz.  Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  ?? 

- Caitlin Rose 

Hi, I believe the quiz is due June 30 at 10:59pm.  You don't have to take it today, however they do recommend taking it before starting week 2 for clarity.  Best! 

3 hours ago, Charlie's Girl said:

"Challenging"' is a nice word.  But any college professor who gives a quiz on information s/he did not cover is a poor instructor.  That said, I don't know what was covered in the video lectures because they do not load for me.  I am relying on lecture notes and all the rest of the things in the modules.  I've taken two other TCM courses (I opted out of the Hitchcock one because I am not such a big fan) and the those two were excellent.  I'm not even sure I will finish this one.  It's so poorly organized. 

Charlie's Girl,

Ok.  Let's start by making sure we're talking apples and apples and not apples and oranges.  The Quiz Is Born game in the 6/8 module is exactly that, a game.  It does not count toward your certificate.  There was a similar game in the Hitchcock course and many students complained that it was too easy, so it was decided to make it more of a challenge this time round.  Dr. Edwards has stated elsewhere that perhaps it now is too challenging and that they will look for a happy medium in round two of this game for this course.  The quiz that does count toward you certificate is the one in the 6/9 module (Quiz Number One: Musicals From 1929-1939).  I have taken that quiz and, although it is not easy, it is very fair and is based entirely on information given in the modules for week 1.

Now, if you are not able to load the video lectures that is a serious issue.  I would recommend that you use the Canvas mail system to contact Dr. Edwards directly.  He will do all that he can to help you with that issue.  We have had a few little glitches here and there in this course so far (as we had in the Film Noir and Slapstick courses and as we will always have in any online class as large and complex as this one) and Dr. Edwards has taken steps to resolve them.

I remember you from before and I remember you as being a fellow student who made good and interesting contributions to the course, so please don't get discouraged this time round.  This truly is a wonderful class about a delightful film genre and it will be all the better with students like yourself participating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 6/8/2018 at 9:58 AM, JWall said:

A Quiz is Born (For Week 1) The Canvas site would not let me move on to the 3rd question after getting the first 2 right. 
That page reverts/flips back to the Syllabus page 
Anyone else experiencing this?
Are there only 2 questions? 

This is happening to me too. Can't move to the 3rd question. Did anyone find a work-around?

7 hours ago, Tomilee said:

This is happening to me too. Can't move to the 3rd question. Did anyone find a work-around?

If you are having issues on one device perhaps switching to another device will work. You can install Canvas and log into your account (your TCM account too) and try giving it a go. I have found that the app behaves differently on my different devices. On my android phone where I do the majority of responding I can get into all the modules, boards, lectures and clips. I watch the clips and Daily Doses on my android tablet but commenting is a painful ordeal since the app runs so sloggy on it. And on my iPad I can only read. Lectures, embedded links and Daily Doses are not clickable at all. Now I don’t expect everyone to have numerous devices but most ppl, perhaps you too have a phone and a tablet or computer.

It’s just a suggestion. It might work until the solution for this problem is ironed out. My pardon if you have tried it already.

Hello everyone, I took the first quiz last night and had seven questions marked incorrect that were answered correctly.  I have read on other threads that many people have had the same thing happen.  I also saw that the instructors have been notified about this but am not clear on whether the bugs will be corrected.  If so, when will we know if they have been corrected and should I retake the quiz at that time?  I am hoping to earn a certificate of completion but due to the mistakes in scoring my answers, the score that has been recorded for me is below 70% and so far does not meet the requirements for the certificate.  Thanks to anyone who can help clear this up.

I am still not able to complete this quiz. I tried earlier this week. I can't get past the second question. It is presented but before I can answer the page goes back to the syllabus page. I commented on a different thread earlier this week reporting the same issue. I've tried in Chrome and in IE. Doesn't look like I'll be able to complete this. 

I was so anxious to take the quiz that after catching up finally I took it and got an 80. Then I do what I always do and focus on what I got wrong, redid it, and got 100. The key is reading ALL the lecture notes, listening to all the videos, and really thinking about the class material when you have a chance in between the rest of your life and this class. I hadn't listened to the Podcast yet and still did well (I did not have any technical issues with the test). Life is in the details and I like learning about Binnie Barnes, Sol Polito, and the editor of The Wizard of Oz was a WOMAN? WOW!