Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darlene W

I have a hard time analyzing films...

On 6/8/2018 at 6:58 PM, Darlene W said:

When I watch a movie, any kind, I watch it for the mere pleasure of enjoyment and have a difficult time picking it apart and answering these questions put to us.  I read what others are posting and nod yes to myself in agreement to most responses but I don't see those comparisons or ideas until they are brought to my mind.  I very much enjoyed all the clips this week and especially Lecture #2 video on "Hallelujah", when Richard Edwards made the statement that King Vidor "created" the roadmap, he did not "follow it" I think that speaks huge volumns.

i am finding this course fascinating but get so frustrated that I have to be hit over the head to see or pick out nuances that others see and can comment on so easily.  There is also so much to learn about the "behind the scene" details like the Foley Artist!  Who knew :)

I also find it difficult to analyze films at times. I think that some people are just more analytical than others.  I find that reading the posts of my classmates is a big help.  And I also find it helpful to watch the movie more than once.  But I really just focus on enjoying the class and the films.  I learn so much from the video lectures and daily doses and written notes.  By the end of the course, I'll know a lot more about musicals than I did at the beginning.  The class is a starting point of sorts, and  I can continue to learn by picking up a book or two on the subject.  

• Like 1

It comes with practice as so many people have noted.  And once you start getting used to noticing details more, they will start jumping out at you.

Things like lighting and shadows.  Editing and costume.  You WILL start to see them and how they comment on action, story, and character.  Sometimes it will just sneak up on you and you will see something and say "Wow!  That was a great shot."  Or "Did you see that cut?"  or "Those shadows across her face make her look like she is trapped."  You WILL notice. 

I guarantee it and once you do, you will notice more and more until your family won't want to watch movies with you. lol

Honestly, I am educating the family little by little.  I love having Dish because we can pause and run things back.  I even notice editing and mise-en-scene in commercials. ;)

On June 8, 2018 at 7:58 PM, Darlene W said:

When I watch a movie, any kind, I watch it for the mere pleasure of enjoyment and have a difficult time picking it apart and answering these questions put to us.  I read what others are posting and nod yes to myself in agreement to most responses but I don't see those comparisons or ideas until they are brought to my mind.  I very much enjoyed all the clips this week and especially Lecture #2 video on "Hallelujah", when Richard Edwards made the statement that King Vidor "created" the roadmap, he did not "follow it" I think that speaks huge volumns.

i am finding this course fascinating but get so frustrated that I have to be hit over the head to see or pick out nuances that others see and can comment on so easily.  There is also so much to learn about the "behind the scene" details like the Foley Artist!  Who knew :)

Hey Darlene, it just takes time!  It seems like these forums are probably helping you "see" movies in a different way.  And I agree, I love being able to think about the foley part of a movie, which is critical, but I've never given much thought to before.  I definitely think the more you talk to people about movies, the more naturally that analysis will come.  My husband and I annoy everyone by talking during movies, but it's literally us analyzing movies the whole time (maybe killing the enjoyment???) and then discussing them afterwards.  I'm just glad you're enjoying the movies, which is far and away the best part! Sometimes I can be too critical and it ruins the pleasure of enjoying a film.  There's something really magical about seeing a movie for the first time and "suspending your disbelief."  So, if you can still watch a movie like that, I'd say you're pretty lucky :) 

oh, and if your goal is to become more analytical then definitely talking about the movies is key.  The forums have already helped me A TaoN!  I bet by the end of this class, if you watched any of these movies over again, that you'd see things you hadn't noticed before, and you'd be able to analyze the heck out of 'em! 

• Like 1

I agree with you.  I watch movies more for entertainment value than to analyze them.  I am finding this course very informative though.  I like having to think and notice elements in the movies.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2018 at 1:11 PM, Suzy-Q said:

You have to be careful in conflating studio propaganda and desire to have a big box office with political thought. We were definitely NOT preparing for WWII in 1939. There was a massive sense of isolation. Roosevelt had a heck of a time even getting lend lease passed. And ask yourself if we were preparing, why were we asleep during Pearl Harbor.

Excellent point & post