Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Non-musical films that might make good musicals

What film that's not a musical do you think might work as a musical?   And why?  Do you have any ideas about who would be in it, or compose for it, etc?

I think The Devil Wears Prada would make an interesting musical.  Funny Face and Roberta were fashion-based musicals.  Making fun of fashion is good comedy (ex: Absolutely Fabulous, "Think Pink" in Funny Face).  Miranda Priestly is a total martinet terror who would make a great central character.  Think of an anti-Mary Poppins.  For Miranda I'd choose Patty LuPone, but she's retired, so maybe Christine Ebersol who was her counterpart in the show War Paint.  Or maybe Glenn Close who was in Sunset, and was Cruella DeVille.    

Another film I think would work is Mildred Pierce.  Although it's a drama, or even tragedy, not a comedy.  What other Noir film musicals are there?   

• Like 4

Down with Love. For those who haven't seen it, it's a sort of spiritual remake of Pillow Talk starring Renee Zellweger and Ewan McGregor - a bright, bubbly sex comedy that takes place in a highly stylized 1960s world. The whole thing feels so much like a musical that they even had Zellweger and McGregor perform a Marc Shaiman number over the end credits (Shaiman also provided the film's score which is very lush and animated).

• Like 4

I think It's Complicated would make a great musical. The affair with her ex, the hotel with the DR. spotted by her son in law and the scene where they get high and go to the party would all be excellent in a musical. 
And the scene where he sees the ex in her bed then she goes to his office would make for  a wonderful "reflection" number.

As to who would play those parts in a musical, I just don't know. Maybe the original cast? :D

• Like 1

I think Midnight in Paris might make an interesting musical.  The Hours too.  Both of these cover more than one time period and give an opportunity to use different musical styles and traditions.

And Death Becomes Her just cries out for an over the top, larger than life musical treatment.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding would make an amazing musical, to be honest. All it's missing is some huge numbers.

A few other movies I could see as musicals are Spirited Away from Studio Ghibli (it would be a huge colorful deal!), the Age of Adeline, Some Like It Hot, and Sleepless In Seattle or You've Got Mail. Yes, we have "She Loves Me", but the whole premise would be different. They could sing the emails Joe and Kathleen send to each other and it would be a more modern setting.

• Like 2

We also have Sugar, a Jule Styne/Bob Merrill musical based on Some Like it Hot.  It opened on Broadway with Robert Morse, Tony Roberts, Elaine Joyce and Cyril Ritchard.  When I saw it on tour, Leland Palmer had taken over for Elaine Joyce and Gale Gordon for Cyril Ritchard.  A more recent revival cast Tony Curtis in the role of Osgood.

• Like 2