Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good question. I really enjoyed "Broadway Melody of 1936", but it doesn't seem to get much attention.

The original "Gold Diggers of 1929" also seems like it deserves more attention, but alas it is mostly a lost film.  The clips of the finale that exist look quite spectacular, though.

• Like 1

The Last Five Years is very underrated, both the stage and screen versions. It's better suited for the stage and the movie has some noticeable technical problems but the movie version is well worth seeing if you can't get to a production of the stage show since the performances are great and the material is pretty much unchanged. It's on Netflix if anyone here wants to see it.

• Like 1

Not sure underrated is quite the right word, but "Can't Help Singing" a 1944 Diana Durbin musical was a boxoffice disappointment and is seldom if ever shown on cable.  It is or was available in a Diana Durbin DVD box set.

Can't Help Singing was a big budget Technicolor film, much of it shot outdoors on locations in Utah (I think that's the state) and the last segment filmed at Old Town in San Diego.  That a musical of it's era was shot on location was very rare.  Some of the songs feature changing outdoor settings as Durbin sings seamlessly, something very common later on, but innovative at the time.

It has a very funny script and an outstanding comic performance by Akim Tamiroff (you can see how he was the model for Boris Badinov in the Rocky and Bullwinkle TV Cartoons).  Robert Paige gives a playful, tongue in cheek performance as the leading man.  And Durbin was always an excellent light comic actress.  In fact, the whole film is played with just the right amount of light humor, the actors winking at the audience. Then there are the songs by Jerome Kern and Yip Harburg, not their best work, but still accomplished. 

• Like 2

I rarely ever see a Deanna Durbin advertised for TCM.  Donald O'Connor was a great singer and dancer, but don't see him very often either.  "Peter Pan" with Mary Martin is rarely seen.  Though that may have been for TV only.  There was also one about a prince featuring Ann Blyth - don't see that one very often.   

On 6/12/2018 at 6:39 AM, Sarah Last said:

I think the movie version of Jesus Christ Superstar is the best version of the musical and is on very rarely.  Another great musical is Little Shop of Horrors.

Love JC Superstar!  It seems to be on once a year. When is the last time anyone screened "Tommy?" 

TCM needs to do a British musicals tribute.  They could run these together:  Tommy, The Boyfriend, Oh! What a Lovely War, and Oliver.  Maybe Hard Day's Night or Help.  I also like Topsy Turvy but that's a musical drama (?) rather than musical.  Both Tommy (1975) and The Boyfriend (1971) were directed by Ken Russell, which is maybe why they're somewhat over-the-top and trippy. 

Has anyone seen Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1972)?  Per Wikipedia [Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1972):

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a 1972 British musical film based on the Lewis Carroll novel of the same name and its sequel, Through the Looking-Glass, directed by Australian television producer-director William Sterling.[2] It had a distinguished ensemble cast with a musical score by John Barry and lyrics, Don Black.[3]

Some cast:

Fiona Fullerton - Alice
Michael Crawford - White Rabbit
Robert Helpmann - Mad Hatter
Michael Hordern - Mock Turtle
Davy Kaye - Mouse
Roy Kinnear - Cheshire Cat
Spike Milligan - Gryphon
Dudley Moore - Dormouse
Dennis Price - King of Hearts
Ralph Richardson - Caterpillar
Flora Robson - Queen of Hearts
Peter Sellers - March Hare

• Like 1

I'd like to see TCM run the 1948 Fox musical "When My Baby Smiles at Me" starring Betty Grable and Dan Dailey who received an Oscar nod for Best Actor.  Great support from Jack Oakie and June Havoc (the real-life Baby June from "Gypsy").  Based on the famous play "Burlesque" which starred a young Barbara Stanwyck, and filmed before as "The Dance of Life" and "Swing High, Swing Low."

For me, "Merry Andrew" with Danny Kaye is severely under the radar.   I discovered it during a tribute on what would've been his 100th birthday.  The premise is interesting and quite a few of the songs are very catchy.   The overall atmosphere is so cheerful and fun, especially when the traveling circus plot kicks in.   There's one number, "Salud" that is so joyful and well choreographed, at one point Danny does this amazing leap over Tommy Rall.  This is cool for 2 reasons:  1-Danny was 47 at the time and was still in amazing shape; 2-Tommy was well over 6 ft.

On 6/16/2018 at 7:23 PM, Pastiche said:

TCM needs to do a British musicals tribute.  They could run these together:  Tommy, The Boyfriend, Oh! What a Lovely War, and Oliver.  Maybe Hard Day's Night or Help.  I also like Topsy Turvy but that's a musical drama (?) rather than musical.  Both Tommy (1975) and The Boyfriend (1971) were directed by Ken Russell, which is maybe why they're somewhat over-the-top and trippy. 

Topsy-Turvy and Moulin Rouge have to be two of my favorite modern movie musicals! Very very few people I know have ever seen Topsy-Turvy but the few friends that I implored to watch it really loved it:-)