Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-04-02%2Bat%2B1.13.4

Republic Pictures (1935-1959) was the little studio that did it all. Herbert Yates, who formed Republic and guided it all those years, fostered a strong sense of community on the sets of his pictures. And he liked giving talented people opportunities to shine. In its nearly 25 year history Republic turned out almost 1000 feature films (including bread-and-butter B westerns and hugely popular serials). About a fourth of the output consisted of "A" pictures that had larger budgets with big-name stars.

There were 77 musicals made by Republic, and I will mention them all in this thread. They're worth discussing!

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-04-02%2Bat%2B1.14.1

ANGELS WITH BROKEN WINGS (musical comedy)
June 27, 1941
Binnie Barnes, Gilbert Roland, Mary Lee
Kids try to arrange marriage for a young couple. 72 mins. B&W.

ATLANTIC CITY (musical)
September 15, 1944
Constance Moore, Brad Taylor, Charley Grapewin
An ambitious entrepreneur builds an empire on the Atlantic City boardwalk but alienates his wife and friends. Rereleased as ATLANTIC CITY HONEYMOON. 86 mins. B&W.

BAL TABARIN (musical drama)
June 1, 1952
Muriel Lawrence, William Ching, Claire Carleton
A singer hides out in a Paris nightclub from crooks that killed her boss. 84 mins. B&W.

BARNYARD FOLLIES (musical)
December 6, 1940
Mary Lee, Rufe Davis, June Storey
A girl and her 4-H club put on a show with stranded performers. 68 mins. B&W.

BELLE OF OLD MEXICO (musical drama)
March 1, 1950
Estelita Rodriguez, Robert Rockwell, Dorothy Patrick
A college president goes south of the border to adopt a war pal’s daughter but learns she’s a full-grown woman. 70 mins. Trucolor.

BRAZIL (musical comedy)
November 30, 1944
Tito Guizar, Virginia Bruce, Edward Everett Horton
A South American songwriter struggles to come up with a hit for a national songwriting contest. Oscar nominee for Best Score, Song and Sound. 91 mins. B&W.

CALENDAR GIRL (musical)
January 31, 1947
Jane Frazee, William Marshall, Kenny Baker
An artist causes romantic complications for a young couple when he selects the girl as his next calendar model. 88 mins. B&W.

CAMPUS HONEYMOON (musical comedy)
February 1, 1948
Lee Wilde, Lyn Wilde, Adele Mara
Two war vets fake a wedding with two sisters to obtain government housing. 61 mins. B&W.

CASANOVA IN BURLESQUE (musical comedy)
February 19, 1944
Joe E. Brown, June Havoc, Dale Evans
A Shakespeare professor spends his summers working as a burlesque comedian. 72 mins. B&W.

CUBAN FIREBALL (musical)
March 5, 1951
Estelita Rodriguez, Warren Douglas, Mimi Aguglia
A young woman is on her way to L.A. to collect an inheritance, but disguises herself as an old woman to throw off the men who are trailing her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, Suzanne1228 said:

Thanks for the list!  I am always looking for new movies to see.  I've always associated Republic with Westerns. 

Are any of them available on DVD?

You're welcome Suzanne. Yes, some are on DVD (a few on Blu-Ray).

As I said there are 77 Republic musicals and I've posted the first ten of them. I will be going through the list alphabetically and will continue till I reach the end of the alphabet.

Even if these are not yet available on home video, it's good to create awareness...because as you indicated, Republic tends to be associated with westerns. But the truth is Yates and his directors turned out exceptional films in many genres.

The ones I've seen that are not on DVD have been available on streaming sites...like Netflix, Amazon and Starz. Some of them also turn up on YouTube. So you have to look for them. Also in late July Martin Scorsese is going to host a special night on TCM that shines the spotlight on Republic, which is his favorite studio (mine too).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 1.14.33 PM.jpg

Okay here's the next batch:

DANCING FEET (musical)
January 20, 1936
Ben Lyon, Joan Marsh, Eddie Nugent
A rich society girl becomes a dancer to show her grandfather she can make a living on her own. 69 mins. B&W. 

EARL CARROLL SKETCHBOOK (musical)
August 22, 1946
Constance Moore, William Marshall, Edward Everett Horton
A singer and her songwriter beau start writing radio jingles. British title is HATS OFF TO RHYTHM. 90 mins. B&W.

EARL CARROLL VANITIES (musical)
April 5, 1945
Dennis O’Keefe, Constance Moore, Otto Kruger
A Broadway producer searches for the star of his new show and discovers a visiting European princess. 95 mins. B&W.

FOLLOW YOUR HEART (musical drama)
August 11, 1936
Marion Talley, Michael Bartlett, Nigel Bruce
A young vocalist in her mother’s shadows is given the chance to sing an opera. 82 mins. B&W.

GERALDINE (musical)
April 1, 1954
John Carroll, Mala Powers, Jim Backus
A music star wants his record company to make a tune with a music teacher. 90 mins. B&W.

GRAND OLE OPRY (musical comedy)
June 25, 1940
The Weavers, Lois Ransom, Allan Lane
The Weaver Brothers and Elviry outwit corrupt politicians during a gubernatorial election. 68 mins. B&W.

HAPPY GO LUCKY (musical drama)
December 5, 1936
Phil Regan, Evelyn Venable, Jed Prouty
A woman searches for her missing husband in Shanghai; when she tracks him down, she learns he’s suffering from amnesia. 69 mins. B&W.

HAVANA ROSE (musical comedy)
September 15, 1951
Estelita Rodriguez, Bill Williams, Hugh Herbert
An ambassador’s daughter messes up her father’s attempts to secure a loan for his country. 77 mins. B&W.

HERE COMES ELMER (musical comedy)
November 15, 1943
Al Pearce, Dale Evans, Frank Albertson
A radio star must find a new sponsor. 74 mins. B&W.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-04-02%2Bat%2B1.16.5

THE HIT PARADE (musical)
April 26, 1937
Frances Langford, Phil Regan, Louise Henry
An agent is determined to promote a new singing sensation to teach his ex-girlfriend a lesson; but the singer is being pursued by a parole officer. 77 mins. B&W.

HIT PARADE OF 1941 (musical)
October 15, 1940
Kenny Baker, Frances Langford, Hugh Herbert
A radio station owner is stuck using a department store heiress’s untalented daughter as a singer, because their company is sponsoring his biggest program. Oscar nominee for Best Score and Song. Rereleased as ROMANCE AND RHYTHM. 83 mins. B&W.

HIT PARADE OF 1943 (musical)
March 26, 1943
John Carroll, Susan Hayward, Gail Patrick
A washed-up songwriter steals a girl’s tune while he romances her. When it becomes a hit, she plans to expose him as a fraud. Oscar nominee for Best Score and Song. Rereleased as CHANGE OF HEART. 90 mins. B&W.

HIT PARADE OF 1947 (musical)
March 22, 1947
Eddie Albert, Constance Moore, Joan Edwards
A trio of musicians are signed to a Hollywood contract, but then learn the movie studio only wants one of them to appear on screen. 90 mins. B&W.

HIT PARADE OF 1951 (musical)
October 15, 1950
John Carroll, Marie McDonald, Estelita Rodriguez
A gambler meets his double, a singer, and switches places with him. John Carroll plays a dual role. 85 mins. B&W.

HITCHHIKE TO HAPPINESS (musical)
July 16, 1945
Al Pearce, Dale Evans, Brad Taylor
A struggling playwright hopes to get his big break while waiting tables in New York City. Oscar nominee for Best Score. 71 mins. B&W.

HONEYCHILE (western musical comedy)
October 20, 1951
Judy Canova, Eddie Foy Jr., Alan Hale Jr.
A hillbilly songwriter writes a song that a pair of publishers would like to use; but first, she has to help her boyfriend get out of trouble with some crooks. 90 mins. Trucolor.

HOOSIER HOLIDAY (musical)
September 15, 1943
Hoosier Hotshots, Dale Evans, Isabel Randolph
The Hoosier Hotshots, a local singing group, enlist in the Air Corps. British title is FARMYARD FOLLIES. 72 mins. B&W.

I DREAM OF JEANIE (musical biopic)
June 15, 1952
Ray Middleton, Bill Shirley, Muriel Lawrence
Stephen Foster works as a bookkeeper and writes songs that will make him famous. This was the third film about the composer’s life. Prior versions were made at Mascot and 20th
Century Fox. 90 mins. Trucolor.

I’VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU (musical)
December 2, 1946
A conductor engages in professional rivalry with his young female student. Arthur Rubenstein performed the concerto pieces heard in the film. 117 mins. Technicolor.

Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 1.15.51 PM.jpg

ICE-CAPADES (musical drama)
August 20, 1941
James Ellison, Jerry Colonna, Dorothy Lewis
A newsreel cameraman misses his chance to cover skaters in Lake Placid, but photographs a skater in New York’s Central Park instead. Oscar nominee for Best Score. 88 mins. B&W.

ICE-CAPADES REVUE (musical)
December 24, 1942
Richard Denning, Ellen Drew, Jerry Colonna
A New England country girl inherits a bankrupt ice show. The British and rerelease title is RHYTHM HITS THE ICE. 79 mins. B&W.

JAMBOREE (musical)
May 5, 1944
Ruth Terry, George Byron, Paul Harvey
A country band is stranded at a farm, and they are without a job. When a rich radio sponsor comes along, their luck changes. Ernest Tubb and His Texas Troubadours appear in the film. 71 mins. B&W.

JOAN OF OZARK (musical comedy spy drama)
August 1, 1942
Judy Canova, Joe E. Brown, Eddie Foy Jr.
A hillbilly girl shoots a carrier pigeon in the Ozarks that is carrying a message to Nazi agents; complications quickly ensue. British title is QUEEN OF SPIES. 80 mins. B&W.

JOHNNY DOUGHBOY (musical)
December 31, 1942
Jane Withers, Henry Wilcoxon, William Demarest
A girl with a crush on a middle-aged playwright joins the ‘Junior Victory Caravan’ and tours army camps to give soldiers a morale booster. Jane Withers plays a dual role. Oscar nominee for Best Score. 64 mins. B&W.

LAKE PLACID SERENADE (musical)
December 23, 1944
Vera Ralston, Robert Livingston, Eugene Pallette
An eastern European ice skating star performs at a carnival in Lake Placid; but because of the war, she is unable to return home. 85 mins. B&W.

LAUGHING IRISH EYES (sports musical)
March 4, 1936
Phil Regan, Walter Kelly, Evalyn Knapp
A fight promoter travels from the U.S. to Ireland to find a boxer; but he returns with an Irish tenor. 70 mins. B&W.

MAGIC FIRE (musical biopic)
March 29 1956
Yvonne De Carlo, Carlos Thompson, Rita Gam
About the life of composer Richard Wagner. Filmed on location in Germany. 94 mins. Trucolor.

MANHATTAN MERRY-GO-ROUND (musical)
November 13, 1937
Phil Regan, Leo Carrillo, Ann Dvorak
A gangster wants to take over a recording company. Oscar nominee for Best Art Direction. British title is MANHATTAN MUSIC BOX. 82 mins. B&W.

This opens a whole new world for me!  I, like Suzanne1228, always associated Republic with westerns - and B westerns at that.  Looking at these musicals, I'm seeing some credible singers and actors.  And this makes me think that some of the ones I don't recognize are worth checking out.  I look forward to new entertainment opportunities.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, MooVeeMan said:

This opens a whole new world for me!  I, like Suzanne1228, always associated Republic with westerns - and B westerns at that.  Looking at these musicals, I'm seeing some credible singers and actors.  And this makes me think that some of the ones I don't recognize are worth checking out.  I look forward to new entertainment opportunities.

Wonderful. Thanks for the comment and welcome to the message boards.

MELODY AND MOONLIGHT (musical)
October 11, 1940
Johnny Downs, Vera Vague, Jerry Colonna
A bellhop has hopes of becoming a tap dancer and is helped by a debutante whose father dislikes him. 72 mins. B&W.

MELODY RANCH (western musical)
November 15, 1940
Gene Autry, Jimmy Durante, Ann Miller
Gene visits his hometown and is made an honorary sheriff during a special celebration. 83 mins/54 mins for TV. B&W.

MELODY TRAIL (western musical)
September 24, 1935
Gene Autry, Smiley Burnette, Ann Rutherford
Gene loses his rodeo winnings to a gypsy thief. 60 mins/54 mins for TV. B&W.

MEXICANA (musical)
November 15, 1945
Tito Guizar, Constance Moore, Leo Carrillo
A singing idol gets tired of fans ripping the shirt off his back when he appears in public, so he persuades a female singer to pose as a his new wife. 83 mins. B&W.

MOONLIGHT MASQUERADE (musical drama)
June 10, 1942
Dennis O’Keefe, Jane Frazee, Betty Kean
Oil company partners will leave their fortune to their children provided they marry; but they haven’t met yet. 67 mins. B&W.

MY BEST GAL (musical)
March 28, 1944
Jane Withers, James Lydon, Frank Craven
A girl from a show biz family, who wants nothing to do with show biz, helps a composer friend get his musical financed. 67 mins. B&W.

NOBODY’S DARLING (musical)
August 27, 1943
Louis Calhern, Gladys George, Jackie Moran
A young singer is upset about her folks’ separation. 71 mins. B&W.

NORTHWEST OUTPOST (western musical)
June 25, 1947
Nelson Eddy, Ilona Massey, Joseph Schildkraut
An operetta set in nineteenth century California, about a woman who learns her new husband is a political prisoner. British title is END OF THE RAINBOW. 91 mins. B&W.

O, MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (musical)
December 31, 1943
Harry Cheshire, Isabel Randolph, Frank Albertson
Hillbilly musicians on the road get stranded in a high-class Dixie town, so they put on a show to win over the folks. 70 mins. B&W.

OKLAHOMA ANNIE (western musical)
March 24, 1952
Judy Canova, John Russell, Grant Withers
A country shopkeeper is in love with the new sheriff and helps capture a bank robber. 90 mins. Trucolor.

Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 1.23.14 PM.jpg

OUTSIDE OF PARADISE (musical)
February 7, 1938
Phil Regan, Penny Singleton, Bert Gordon
An Irish singer inherits a castle and wants to turn it into a nightclub. 68 mins. B&W.

PISTOL PACKIN’ MAMA (musical crime drama)
December 15, 1943
Ruth Terry, Robert Livingston, Wally Vernon
A gambling hall owner pretends to be someone else so she can get revenge on the man who cheated her. Ruth Terry plays a dual role. 64 mins. B&W.

PUDDIN’ HEAD (musical comedy)
June 25, 1941
Judy Canova, Francis Lederer, Raymond Walburn
A girl and her uncle live on a farm located on Fifth Avenue in New York City. British title is JUDY GOES TO TOWN. 80 mins. B&W.

RHYTHM IN THE CLOUDS (musical comedy)
June 21, 1937
Patricia Ellis, Warren Hull, William Newell
A struggling songwriter tries to gain attention for the music she writes. 64 mins. B&W.

ROOKIES ON PARADE (musical)
April 17, 1941
Bob Crosby, Ruth Terry, Gertrude Niesen
Songwriters get drafted into the army and must put on a show for fellow soldiers. 69 mins. B&W.

SCATTERBRAIN (musical comedy)
July 20, 1940
Judy Canova, Alan Mowbray, Ruth Donnelly
A Hollywood producer discovers an Ozark mountain girl. 74 mins. B&W.

THE SHEIK STEPS OUT (musical)
September 6, 1937
Ramon Novarro, Lola Lane, Gene Lockhart
A spoiled rich American girl goes to Arabia to buy a horse and meets a sheik that she mistakes for a baggage attendant. 68 mins. B&W.

SING, DANCE, PLENTY HOT (musical)
August 10, 1940
Ruth Terry, Johnny Downs, Vera Vague
Someone has disappeared with the money that was raised for an orphanage at a charity show. British title is MELODY GIRL. 70 mins. B&W.

SING, NEIGHBOR, SING (musical)
August 12, 1944
Brad Taylor, Ruth Terry, Virginia Brissac
A lothario poses as a psychologist in a college town. 70 mins. B&W.

SIS HOPKINS (musical comedy)
April 12, 1941
Judy Canova, Bob Crosby, Susan Hayward
A country girl whose house has burned to the ground goes to live with her more affluent city relatives. Based on a 1919 silent film starring Mabel Normand. 98 mins. B&W.

Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 1.15.51 PM.jpg

SITTING ON THE MOON (musical)
September 11, 1936
Roger Pryor, Grace Bradley, William Newell
Songwriters fall for a movie star, and one of them appears to have married her while he was drunk. 76 mins. B&W.

SLEEPY LAGOON (musical comedy)
September 5, 1943
Judy Canova, Dennis Day, Ruth Donnelly
Hoping to restore law and order, a country gal becomes the mayor of a sleepy town and takes on its crooked politicians. 65 mins. B&W.

SLEEPTYTIME GAL (musical comedy)
March 5, 1942
Judy Canova, Tom Brown, Ruth Terry
A country girl gets mixed up with the mob when she’s mistaken for a nightclub singer they’re trying to bump off. 84 mins. B&W.

A SONG FOR MISS JULIE (musical)
February 19, 1945
Shirley Ross, Barton Hepburn, Jane Farrar
The only living relative of a southern gentleman with something in his past is persuaded to approve an operetta about his life. 69 mins. B&W.

SONG OF MEXICO (musical)
December 28, 1945
Adele Mara, Edgar Barrier, George J. Lewis
A man seems more interested in his career than in the girl he plans to marry. 57 mins. B&W.

SPECTER OF THE ROSE (musical crime drama)
July 5, 1946
Judith Anderson, Michael Chekhov, Ivan Kirov
A ballerina has married a mad dancing genius, and she tries to help him before it’s too late. 90 mins. B&W.

SUICIDE SQUADRON (war musical)
April 20, 1942
Anton Walbrook, Sally Gray, Derrick DeMarney
An officer is believed to be more valuable for his musical talents than his aerial skills. Originally produced by RKO but leased to Republic. Released in Britain in 1941 as DANGEROUS MOONLIGHT. 83 mins. B&W.

SWEETHEARTS ON PARADE (musical)
July 15, 1953
Ray Middleton, Lucille Norman, Eileen Christy
A girl is interested in the life of a traveling medicine show. Trucolor. 90 mins.

SWING YOUR PARTNER (musical)
May 20, 1943
Roger Clark, Esther Dale, Judy Clark
A woman who owns a dairy poses as a worker to find out why employees can’t stand her. Plot resembles one used in RKO’s THE DEVIL AND MISS JONES. 72 mins. B&W.

SWINGIN’ ON A RAINBOW (musical comedy)
September 1, 1945
Jane Frazee, Brad Taylor, Harry Langdon
After a man has stolen her song, a woman goes to New York to find him. 72 mins. B&W.

TAHITI HONEY (musical)
April 6, 1943
Simone Simon, Dennis O’Keefe, Michael Whalen
A Tahitian singer joins an American band, and she convinces the guys to change the type of music they perform. 69 mins. B&W.

TELL IT TO A STAR (musical)
August 16, 1945
Ruth Terry, Robert Livingston, Alan Mowbray
An aspiring singer tries to get a job with a bandleader. 67 mins. B&W.

THAT’S MY GAL (musical comedy)
May 15, 1947
Lynne Roberts, Don Barry, Pinky Lee
Conmen take money from foolish investors, but surprisingly the latest show they’ve backed is a hit. 66 mins. Trucolor.

THUMBS UP (musical)
July 5, 1943
Brenda Joyce, Richard Fraser, Elsa Lanchester
A stage actress falls in love with an RAF captain. 67 mins. B&W.

TROCADERO (musical)
April 24, 1944
Rosemary Lane, Johnny Downs, Ralph Morgan
Youngsters hire a swing band to jazz up a nightclub they’ve inherited. 74 mins. B&W.

UNTAMED HEIRESS (musical comedy)
April 12, 1954
Judy Canova, Don Barry, George Cleveland
A prospector locates the daughter of his lost love, but she’s mixed up with gangsters. 70 mins. B&W.

VILLAGE BARN DANCE (musical romance)
January 30, 1940
Richard Cromwell, Doris Day (a different Doris Day), George Barbier
A woman agrees to wed an industrialist to save her town, because he has promised to bring jobs to the area. But her boyfriend and the town try to find another way to raise money. 74 mins. B&W.

YOKEL BOY (musical comedy)
March 13, 1942
Joan Davis, Albert Dekker, Eddie Foy
A country boy gets a job at a Hollywood studio and convinces his boss to hire a real hoodlum in the role of a gangster. British title is HITTING THE HEADLINES. 69 mins. B&W.

YOUTH ON PARADE (musical comedy)
October 24, 1942
John Hubbard, Martha O’Driscoll, Bruce Langley
College students hire an actress to pose as a fictional student they’ve created. Oscar nominee for Best Song. 72 mins. B&W.

Key Republic personnel (listed alphabetically):
Rex Allen, western performer
Gene Autry, western performer
Don "Red" Barry, actor
Daniel J. Bloomberg, audio engineer
Adrian Booth Brian, actress
Frank Borzage, director
Walter Brennan, actor
Rod Cameron, actor
Judy Canova, musical comedy performer
John Carroll, actor
Mae Clarke, actress
Jim Davis, actor
William "Wild Bill" Elliott, actor
John English, director
Dale Evans, singer actress
John Ford, director
Jane Frazee, singer actress
Monte Hale, actor
George "Gabby" Hayes, actor
Joseph Kane, director
Allan "Rocky" Lane, actor
Joan Leslie, actress
Robert Livingston, actor
Charles Lootens, sound engineer
Howard J. Lydecker, special effects director
John Victor Mackay, art director
Victor McLaglen, actor
Catherine McLeod, actress
Kristine Miller, actress
Harriet Parsons, producer and director
Rudy Ralston, producer
Vera Ralston, ice skater and actress
Lynne Roberts, actress
Estelita Rodriguez, musical comedy performer
Roy Rogers, western performer
Walter Scharf, film composer
R.G. "Bud" Springsteen, director
Erich von Stroheim, director and actor
Forrest Tucker, actor
Twinkle Watts, ice skater and child star
John Wayne, actor and producer
The Weavers, musical comedy performers
Orson Welles, actor and director
Grant Withers, actor
Herbert Yates, founder and president

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-04-02%2Bat%2B1.27.5

• Thanks 2
13 hours ago, Sally B said:

Thanks so much for this list. I remember seeing a few of these years ago and they were enjoyable. I’ll be on the lookout for more opportunities to view. 

You're welcome. A few of the films are in the public domain and easier to find though the print quality will vary.

13 hours ago, Suzanne1228 said:

Wow!  Thanks for sharing!  That's a great list and thanks for sharing the list of personnel.  I now have a new quest. :)

The list of personnel was far from complete, but I did want to mention some of the key players. 

• Like 1

Just an FYI for anyone who's interested. Each month I post four reviews in a thread I call TopBilled's Essentials. It's in the Essentials forum under TCM Programs. 

In June I'm covering LGBT classics (this weekend I will review VICTOR VICTORIA). In July my theme will be Classic Flops. And in August I am going to review some rarely seen Republic classics. One of the titles in August will be ATLANTIC CITY (1944) which I consider the best musical Republic Pictures ever made. 

31 minutes ago, Elizabeth Milne said:

Is Suicide Squadron also known as Dangerous Moonlight?  If so it's one I'd like to see again.

Yes, it was originally released as DANGEROUS MOONLIGHT (in Britain by RKO). Republic changed the title and released it in the U.S. as SUICIDE SQUADRON. No idea why RKO sold this film to Republic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, it was originally released as DANGEROUS MOONLIGHT (in Britain by RKO). Republic changed the title and released it in the U.S. as SUICIDE SQUADRON. No idea why RKO sold this film to Republic.

Dangerous Moonlight features my favorite classical concerto written for film: "The Warsaw Concerto". Richard Addinsell was commissioned to write this piano concerto when Rachmaninoff declined.

Today Addinsell's cinema concerto is included in classical piano programs with those of Rachmaninoff.

Although Richard Addinsell was a prolific film composer, he is not well remember today.

He composed scores for:

Gaslight (1940) Fire over England, The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, Under Capricorn, and Goodbye Mr. Chips, among many others.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dischick said:

That is a wonderful list, I am amazed that I have not seen even one of them!!!

Some of them aired on the old AMC in the 80s and 90s to coincide with their home video release on VHS. Back then Aaron Spelling controlled the titles. Spelling's company was eventually sold to Paramount.

Paramount now owns the entire Republic library. They've digitally restored about 800 of the 1000 films in this library. A lot of the nitrate prints were shared with Paramount by a film museum in Britain that had carefully preserved them. So Paramount had good source materials to start transferring them to DVD/Blu-ray and make them available for streaming in the last few years. 

Martin Scorsese curated an event at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York City in February of this year where some of the restored titles that are not on home video were screened. In late July Scorsese is going to show a few of them one night on TCM. Then in mid-August he will curate another batch of Republic titles at MoMA. So anyone who will be in NYC at that time should go check them out. Details will be published on MoMA's website.

In the meantime we can only hope that TCM eventually forms a partnership with Paramount to show more Republic films. They already have Leonard Maltin presenting Disney treasures. Maybe Scorsese will be asked back to keep presenting other Republic titles on TCM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/11/2018 at 5:22 PM, TopBilled said:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-04-02%2Bat%2B1.13.4

Republic Pictures (1935-1959) was the little studio that did it all. Herbert Yates, who formed Republic and guided it all those years, fostered a strong sense of community on the sets of his pictures. And he liked giving talented people opportunities to shine. In its nearly 25 year history Republic turned out almost 1000 feature films (including bread-and-butter B westerns and hugely popular serials). About a fourth of the output consisted of "A" pictures that had larger budgets with big-name stars.

There were 77 musicals made by Republic, and I will mention them all in this thread. They're worth discussing!

I associate Republic Pictures with film noir! Moonrise, for one example, is on my list.

Thanks for doing this!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I associate Republic Pictures with film noir! Moonrise, for one example, is on my list.

Thanks for doing this!

Yes, MOONRISE is a very good picture. Directed by Frank Borzage. Featuring Dane Clark, Gail Russell and Ethel Barrymore. TCM has aired it before but it's been awhile. There are other good Republic noirs. Like CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS, which Martin Scorsese will be showing on TCM in late July.

• Like 1