Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, let's talk just Judy for a few minutes .. I was going to call this " List your best and worse Judy scene", but then I realized there was no worse !  So let's just ask, What is your personal favorite Judy scene?  To begin with "The man that got away" doesn't count because it is the far away tops .. I do have to notice that "Summer Stock" is not on the watch list, I can understand why .. any Judy fan felt bad for her during this movie and her weight problem, the costumes, camera angles, etc but, take heart at the final scene ( added later) "Get Happy" which had you leave you happy ..One of the best ever scenes.  Oh . and don't even try to mention "Over The Rainbow", we will all give you that one ..

15 minutes ago, Dusty Cowboy said:

Ok, let's talk just Judy for a few minutes .. I was going to call this " List your best and worse Judy scene", but then I realized there was no worse !  So let's just ask, What is your personal favorite Judy scene?  To begin with "The man that got away" doesn't count because it is the far away tops .. I do have to notice that "Summer Stock" is not on the watch list, I can understand why .. any Judy fan felt bad for her during this movie and her weight problem, the costumes, camera angles, etc but, take heart at the final scene ( added later) "Get Happy" which had you leave you happy ..One of the best ever scenes.  Oh . and don't even try to mention "Over The Rainbow", we will all give you that one ..

Judy isn't the problem with Summer Stock-- Summer Stock is the problem with Summer Stock. It's a hackneyed plot that should have been dropped years ago and left back with the old Mickey and Judy movies.

You talked about scenes. Judy is a great dramatic actress. My favorite scenes for her are teary and dramatic from A Star is Born, I Could Go On Singing and Judgment at Nuremberg.

Judy was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Academy Award for her role in Judgment at Nuremberg.

• Like 2

There are so many to choose from, the best I can do is to narrow it down to two.

The final scene in Easter Parade where she sings the title song.  Beginning with the moment Fred Astaire receives a toy dog and a top hat, Judy's chiding him for being late and singing the title song beautifully, and their fun walk down Fifth Avenue.  It is pure joy.

Way back at the very beginning, her fan letter to dear Mr. Gable.  I love the song, and I also love the monologue.  "Ah gee, Mr. Gable, I guess you got a lot of girls who tell you this."  Her sincerity is so endearing.  As she tells Mr. Gable how he made her love him, she makes us love her.

• Like 2

Judy is the performer that got me interested in movies.  I love everything that she's done.  And of course, The Man That Got Away is by far her best number. 

Leaving that aside, I love Mack the Black from The Pirate.  Her character Manuela becomes a different person under Serafin's hypnosis.  THe previously, demure and quiet girl becomes a wildcat in the musical number.  It is amazing to behold.

I also love Under the Bamboo Tree from Meet Me in St. Louis.  She looks like she is having so much fun with Margaret O'Brien.  There's so much joy there. 

And for a sheer performance tour-de-force, you can't beat Get Happy from Summer Stock.   Another amazing performance is Mr. Monotony which was dropped from Easter Parade.

• Like 2

A new way to discuss this perhaps.  I just got done re-listening to Judy Garland Live at Carnegie Hall. Gosh darn it, she is on fire. Live. Nearly flawless. Powerful. Persuasive. Has one in the palm of her hand.  She sings all the songs we want from her. 

Yet, not being able to see her -- the eyes, the facial expression, the body gestures. Her body was just as powerful an instrument in communicating while singing.  That's saying a lot when the voice is her voice. What she does without video is incredible.  I yearn to see her as I listen because she was so empathetic and in the moment. Thank goodness for film

• Like 1