Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

movie serials

kenwal34

Serial fans,

Artisan has recently released The Adventures of Captain Marvel on DVD.Picture quality is slightly better than the tape{which was good},and sound is greatly improved.

Lets support their effort and perhaps there will be more of those great REPUBLIC serials released in the future.

hi, roldfilm, i just got my DVD copy--at last--of the fabulous "Adventures of Captain Marvel," and will watch it this snowy weekend. Am thrilled that these wonderful entertainments are finally coming out on disc. I've already got "Jungle Girl" (great Frances Gifford) and "Drums of Fu Manchu"--a real treat and "Adventures of Red Ryder". Now, if we only get ALL the Republic serials on disc--especially high on my wish list are: "G-Men vs. the Black Dragon", "Spy Smasher," "Son of Zorro," "Daredevils of the Red Circle," "Mysterious Doctor Satan," "G-Men Never Forget" and "King of the Texas Rangers"--just to name a very few of my favorite serials.

To roldfilm, I am a big John Wayne fan and have many movies including earlier B westerns, but I'm not sure if any of his were serials,could you help explain, I have an old VHS of the third volume of "Hurricane Express" and I know he did several movies as the same character I think the name was Stony Brook. Are both of these serials? And do you know if they are available on DVD or VHS anywhere?

I agree! I remember bits and pieces of so many of the Serials which I saw as a kid at the Saturday Matinee's I attended every week with my neighborhood gang. We couldn't wait to see how the "hero" got out of this mess, and what was going to happen next week! I think that it's great that they have been preserved and are available to us again on DVD, and you bet that I'll support them by purchasing at least some of them. In their own right, they are also Classics...and were such fun, too.

To pqm80s,

Thanks for your quick response.In answer to your questions,John Wayne made three serials.The first was The Shadow of the Eagle,followed by Hurricane Express and The Three Musketeers.These serials were produced by Mascot Pictures which later became Republic Pictures.I dont know if they are availible on Dvd.The character Stony Brook was not from a serial.It was played by different actors{Wayne} and others in a western series produced by Republic called The Three Mesquiteers.The other two Wayne serials are available on tape.

To classicsfan1119 and paty,

I have Jungle Girl,Red Ryder,Jungle Jim,The Phantom,Mandrake the Magician and a few others besides my latest AOCM on dvd.I have over 40 tapes of Republic serials.Try the serial squadron.com web page It is a great page for serial fans.I too saw many of these serials as a child. VCI HOME VIDEO has released King of the Royal Mounted on tape and DVD. I agree with you that they are classics in their own right.

I, too, can hardly wait to get my hands on the DVD edition of "King of the Royal Mounted." If you go to the ScalretStreet.com webpage, they have a fantastic subdivision discussion on old serials. Several of them have raved about the beautiful restoration done on "King of the Royal Mounted." Right now, I'm heading to my Bestbuy to purchase the great doublefeature--for $14.95--of "Conan the Barbarian" and "Conan the Conquerer." Previously, each one was $19.00. I love these double-featured discs--more bang for your buck.