Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

7 minutes ago, StarstruckKidTurnedPro said:

Yes TCM - It would be great to have Ann Miller as your Star of the Month! She always seemed like a gal you could be great pals with - sassy and so much fun. She was a worthy successor to Eleanor Powell as Queen of Taps at MGM!

Ann Miller.jpg

What a great photo. 

9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Certainly a good way to cap her illustrious film career.

I had forgotten that Mulholland Drive was Ann Miller's last film. I have the DVD: I should watch it again -- after this course is complete, that is!

• Like 1
On 6/13/2018 at 12:10 AM, markus21 said:

Believe it or not, THE NEW YORK TIMES thought Ann Miller was a better partner for Fred Astaire in EASTER PARADE than Judy Garland.  In its' review the TIMES said something like: "And Judy Garland gets some stiff competition from the long-legged Ann Miller. Miss Garland is a competent trouper: nimble on her feet and professional sounding vocally, but somehow we feel that Miss Miller teams better with Mr. Astaire."

I was surprised when I read that review, because Judy is so delightful in EP, but I agree that Ann Miller was a wonderful talent in her own right. It's no mean feat that she makes us enjoy her musical numbers so much despite the fact that "Nadine" is such an unlikeable character.

I can understand the TIMES comment.  Ann Miller and Fred Astaire were dancers, Judy Garland really wasn't.  Oh, she could move with Astaire guiding her, but Garland shined while singing, Miller while dancing.  Somewhere in the past I read that Miller replaced Cyd Charisse in EP after Cyd sprained her ankle or whatever it was in her previous film.

Just now, Scrappinsteph said:

Every time I watch Easter Parade, I'm disappointed we don't get to see Nadine, Johnny, and "all the hounds" at the end of the Easter Parade! 

Agree. They should have been included.

I'm playing catch-up with all the films I recorded last week while out-of-town; coincidentally, I watched On the Town and Easter Parade back-to-back. So much Ann Miller goodness -- what a talent and such a beauty! I did appreciate seeing her with hair at a normal volume, as when I was a kiddo in the '70s, I remember her hair pretty much having its own zip code. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, janey said:

I'm playing catch-up with all the films I recorded last week while out-of-town; coincidentally, I watched On the Town and Easter Parade back-to-back. So much Ann Miller goodness -- what a talent and such a beauty! I did appreciate seeing her with hair at a normal volume, as when I was a kiddo in the '70s, I remember her hair pretty much having its own zip code. 

We need to create a thread "Ann Miller for Star of the Month."

• Like 2
On 6/13/2018 at 3:26 PM, TopBilled said:

Ann Miller has never been a Star of the Month on TCM-- which seems quite surprising. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 3.27.36 PM.jpg

EASTER PARADE and a batch of other musicals made during the golden age of Hollywood attest to her star quality as a dancer and actress.

Screen shot 2015-12-17 at 8.10.43 AM.jpg

She should be a Star of the Month on TCM.

National-Tap-Dance-Day-03.jpg

I'd vote for an Ann Miller Star of the Month on TCM, or at least an evening of her films.

• Like 1