Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just being silly here... but wouldn't it have been fun if Errol Flynn and Olivia DeHavilland had been song and dance performers and they'd made swashbucklers like 'Robin Hood' or 'Captain Blood' into musicals?  Well... at least 'Robin Hood'.  Would love to have seen Errol tapping in tights.  (Hey, 'Robin Hood' is on TCM tonight!)

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that Men in Tights movie?  Never got to see it.  Was it Mel Brooks?  It must have been nuts if it was.  Anyhow, I just saw the Robin Hood movie again, with Errol and Olivia, Claude Rains and Basil Rathbone, and it was just so much fun they can leave it the way it is.  Light fluff, but wonderful entertainment... and great color for its day!

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Lover-o-Classics said:

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that Men in Tights movie?  Never got to see it.  Was it Mel Brooks?  It must have been nuts if it was.  Anyhow, I just saw the Robin Hood movie again, with Errol and Olivia, Claude Rains and Basil Rathbone, and it was just so much fun they can leave it the way it is.  Light fluff, but wonderful entertainment... and great color for its day!

I watched that last night also.  I adore that movie!  My favorite part is when he climbs up to her room after she saves his life (swoon).  ?

Yes, Men in Tights is Mel Brooks and in a totally different category, so it's a great watch when I'm in a silly mood.

While it's not The Adventures of Robin Hood, if you want to see Errol Flynn in a musical...

He does a musical number in Thank Your Lucky Stars.  In my opinion, Errol has one of the best numbers in the entire film. 

• Like 3

In this "We Love To Boogie" video, there is an extremely short snippet from 1938 The Adventures of Robin Hood  (at 1:17) you'll catch the men making merry in Sherwood Forest, so I immediately thought of you, Lover-O-Classics, and had to share.  I've also included the "Men In Tights number".  Enjoy and have a chuckle!

• Haha 1

Essentially, Danny Kaye gave us a Robin Hood musical in "The Court Jester". True, the famous outlaw was named The Fox, but even though the names were changed, the essence was the same, with Basil Rathbone as the bad guy and Good King Richard being played by the Lost Dauphin with a flower for a cutie mark.

• 3 weeks later...

An example of a traditional story that was given a musical treatment was "The Three Musketeers."  A musical version (emphasizing song) was produced in 1939, with Don Ameche, Binnie Barnes, and the Ritz Brothers. Another musical version (emphasizing dance) was made in 1948, with Gene Kelly, Van Heflin, Lana Turner, June Allyson, and Angela Lansbury.