Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Walter3rd

The Nicholas Brothers

I really feel blessed that I actually saw the Nicholas Brothers in person.  It's a pity we see them so few times, and that they only made so few appearances on film - all in the 30's and 40's.  

I saw them as part of Sammy Davis Jr's concert series. It started with Ben Vereen, then the fabulous Nicholas Brothers (considering that Fayad (eldest of the two) was born in 1914 and this was around 1978) they still were as limber as you see them from the early films - leaping and doing the splits and just wowing you with there dancing.  

Oh yeah, and then Sammy Davis took the stage.

nicholas46.jpg

• Like 7

The Nicholas Brothers did a fantastic dance routine on DOWN ARGENTINE WAY. Whenever, I see them, I am awestruck by their acrobatic skills.

• Like 4

I was going to post something about the NIcholas brothers because I didn't want to see their incredible talent overlooked.  (Personally, I think there's waay too much emphasis on Judy Garland in this course, but I'm probably alone in thinking that).  I'm very glad to see this thread!  Nicholas brothers were nothing short of amazing.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Charlie's Girl said:

I was going to post something about the NIcholas brothers because I didn't want to see their incredible talent overlooked.  (Personally, I think there's waay too much emphasis on Judy Garland in this course, but I'm probably alone in thinking that).  I'm very glad to see this thread!  Nicholas brothers were nothing short of amazing.  

You're not alone in this.  How about more Rita Hayworth and less Judy Garland? :)  I love Judy and all but I'd prefer to hear Helen Forrest or Anita Ellis sing haha.  The Nicholas Brothers were great and it's a shame they weren't able to be in films a bit more.  I would've also loved to see them with Dorothy Dandridge as well (I believe she was married to one of them at some point.)  It must have been a tough life on some of the black performers back then because on one hand you want to be in the films but on the other hand you know you're kind of being used as a novelty act and have to go home to face your family.  People thought poor Rochester was an Uncle Tom, but without him we might not have seen Sidney Poitier a few years later.

• Like 1

I agree  completely.  I met Fayed in the 1980s. He was a perfect gentleman. He was judging a Charleston competition in a Hollywood event.

• Like 1

Looking at the clips, I see their influence on Gene Kelly's routines. Even in today's Daily Dose (#11), Kelly and O'Connor use several of the steps he learned from the Nicholas Brothers. We are so fortunate to have this material available to us.