Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bethluvsfilms

HUD.....anti-hero or heel?

I just got done watching this film again (after a long spell), and it is still a classic. You have a great cast, Patricia Neal, Melvyn Douglas, Brandon De Wilde and of course the brilliant Paul Newman in the title role.

(SPOILERS)

But as I was watching this, even though Hud can turn on the charm, you slowly see how much of a heel he really is. Of course his father (Douglas) isn't fooled by him, but Lonnie (De Wilde)...well one minute he's irritated with his uncle, the next he tries to understand him, even tries to defend him (sort of) to his grandfather, before he sees Hud's true colors.

As for Neal, she also sees through Hud, but at the same time she tolerates him with patience (up to a point).

Yes, Hud can charm the viewers, but also only to a certain point. During the film, no matter how 'charming' we want to believe he is, we see his real character by the end of the movie....that of a detestable cretin.

• Like 2

It's been awhile since I've seen it Beth. But maybe there's a bit of moral relativism going on with Hud and his family members.

Actually, it only takes a few seconds into the first appearance of the man to get a clear picture of his character(or lack thereof).

and somewhere in between,  MELVYN DOUGLAS (as Hud's father, and one of Mr. Douglas' finest film performances) sums it up by telling him, "You're an unprincipled man Hud." 

And in fact, Hud's willingness to dump the tainted cattle on the market in order to both save and make a lot of money sort of puts him on the same level as HARRY LIME, don't it?  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 3

On 6/16/2018 at 10:28 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

I just got done watching this film again (after a long spell), and it is still a classic. You have a great cast, Patricia Neal, Melvyn Douglas, Brandon De Wilde and of course the brilliant Paul Newman in the title role.

(SPOILERS)

But as I was watching this, even though Hud can turn on the charm, you slowly see how much of a heel he really is. Of course his father (Douglas) isn't fooled by him, but Lonnie (De Wilde)...well one minute he's irritated with his uncle, the next he tries to understand him, even tries to defend him (sort of) to his grandfather, before he sees Hud's true colors.

As for Neal, she also sees through Hud, but at the same time she tolerates him with patience (up to a point).

Yes, Hud can charm the viewers, but also only to a certain point. During the film, no matter how 'charming' we want to believe he is, we see his real character by the end of the movie....that of a detestable cretin.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I am not a fan of Paul Newman, hence I mostly enjoyed watching Brandon DeWilde in the film along with Melvyn Douglas, and thought Hud was kind of boringly Paul Newmanish. He had a long line of films during his heyday in which he basically played this same self serving character.

• Like 1

And at that yrs *Academy Awards the vast majority of pundits were certain he'd win as HUD, upset by *Sidney Poitier in "Lilies of the Field" instead  A nice movie (strong ***) but far from one of his finest  i.e. THE DEFIANT ONES, A RAISIN' IN THE SUN,etc

4 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

This movie is a lot like Lonely Are The Brave and Cool Hand Luke. All deadbeats its hard to have sympathy for.

I had long really rated LONELY ARE THE GRAVE as almost a totally great film, until I heard-(as tons now finally have) about Douglas'  Though it's incredibally tough to do, especially in this particular situation from 1954, to separate whats onthat film forever from the individual By the way he always picked it as his fav  for what that's worth???

Always felt *Melvyn Douglas-(l90l-l98l) was far more deserving of this first s. actor victory then his 2nd for 1979's brilliant comedy BEING THERE though, given his competition for '79

• Like 1

I kinda liked the way Hud had of making his rottenness seem fair like when Lonnie gets back from the funeral the way Hud sums up his lifelong relationship with his father...

"I guess you could say I helped him about as much as he ever helped me."

seems reasonable.

:)

Image result for hud paul newman

11 hours ago, spence said:

I had long really rated LONELY ARE THE GRAVE as almost a totally great film, until I heard-(as tons now finally have) about Douglas'  Though it's incredibally tough to do, especially in this particular situation from 1954, to separate whats onthat film forever from the individual By the way he always picked it as his fav  for what that's worth???

Excuse me? "until" you "heard [as tons now finally have} about Douglas' ".....what, Spence? Don't leave me hanging here without a net.

Douglas's WHAT?

His relationship with Tokyo Rose? His rap sheet a mile long? His affair with Oliver Wendell Holmes? His wearing of women's underwear on the set of "Ninotchka"? His nose jobs? His beating up of little Jackie Cooper in the parking lot? His nastiness to the sweet Irene Dunne? His refusal to vote for his own wife, Helen Gahagan Douglas? I'm stumped...

I can't go to sleep tonight until I find out what Douglas' what is, Spence. Please clarify. This is making me non-copacetic.

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Excuse me? "until" you "heard [as tons now finally have} about Douglas' ".....what, Spence? Don't leave me hanging here without a net.

Douglas's WHAT?

His relationship with Tokyo Rose? His rap sheet a mile long? His affair with Oliver Wendell Holmes? His wearing of women's underwear on the set of "Ninotchka"? His nose jobs? His beating up of little Jackie Cooper in the parking lot? His nastiness to the sweet Irene Dunne? His refusal to vote for his own wife, Helen Gahagan Douglas? I'm stumped...

I can't go to sleep tonight until I find out what Douglas' what is, Spence. Please clarify. This is making me non-copacetic.

Probably the long rumored, but never proven, accusation that Douglas supposedly raped Natalie Wood.

But I still believe in innocent until proven guilty. That's why I have no problem with watching any of Douglas' movies. The accusations against him seemed to be based more on hearsay and speculation than anything else.  

As with the circumstances of Wood's death, we very likely will never know the truth. Could it be true? Sure, anything is possible. But until there's actual concrete enough evidence to come to the surface (which is probably unlikely at this point since it supposedly happened during the 60's), I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

33 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Probably the long rumored, but never proven, accusation that Douglas supposedly raped Natalie Wood.

But I still believe in innocent until proven guilty. That's why I have no problem with watching any of Douglas' movies. The accusations against him seemed to be based more on hearsay and speculation than anything else.  

As with the circumstances of Wood's death, we very likely will never know the truth. Could it be true? Sure, anything is possible. But until there's actual concrete enough evidence to come to the surface (which is probably unlikely at this point since it supposedly happened during the 60's), I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Uh, I thought that rumor was about Kirk Douglas not Melvyn. Am I wrong?

Either way though, your comments, Beth on not knowing the veracity of such rumors, makes perfect sense.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Uh, I thought that rumor was about Kirk Douglas not Melvyn. Am I wrong?

Either way though, your comments, Beth on not knowing the veracity of such rumors, makes perfect sense.

You're not wrong. It WAS about Kirk. There have been no rumors about Melvyn as far as I know.

Spence was talking about LONELY ARE THE BRAVE, which is a Kirk Douglas film, not a Melvyn Douglas movie. 

Sorry about the mix-up. That can happen though with two actors with the same last name.

Good thing we didn't get Michael entangled in here somehow, lol.

23 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

You're not wrong. It WAS about Kirk. There have been no rumors about Melvyn as far as I know.

Spence was talking about LONELY ARE THE BRAVE, which is a Kirk Douglas film, not a Melvyn Douglas movie. 

Sorry about the mix-up. That can happen though with two actors with the same last name.

Good thing we didn't get Michael entangled in here somehow, lol.

"Michael"? Michael who? Is this about Michael Jackson?

Oh, I get it...you mean Michael Douglas. Uh, he has been criticized for some unwanted attention too hasn't he? It is getting hard to keep track, there are so many men being accused and don't for a minute think that I think that the voluminous numbers portend that the accusations are not possible. Pretty soon only Lassie and Rin Tin Tin will be exempt from bothering any fillies in the Hollywood stable and I know Mister Ed is guiltless, since he was always such a gentleman.

On 6/17/2018 at 6:40 PM, arpirose said:

AS I recall, Hud raped The Patricia Neal's Character, Alma.

I don't recall that.  I only recall him TRYING to.

Sepiatone