Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

For anyone who likes the big band music of the early 40's, you'll enjoy The Glenn Miller Story, starring Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson.  It shows you how he developed his sound and made his band the most popular of the day, and the second half almost plays like a concert.  My mom loves it as she was a huge Glenn Miller fan, and saw him in concert when she was in high school. We watched it together today.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see TCM air a triple feature of June Allyson's films with James Stewart:

THE STRATTON STORY
THE GLENN MILLER STORY
STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND

They were so charming, so delightful together.

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 7.09.06 PM.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lover-o-Classics said:

For anyone who likes the big band music of the early 40's, you'll enjoy The Glenn Miller Story, starring Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson.  It shows you how he developed his sound and made his band the most popular of the day, and the second half almost plays like a concert.  My mom loves it as she was a huge Glenn Miller fan, and saw him in concert when she was in high school. We watched it together today.

Great film!  Great music.  My favorite bandleader. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I'd like to see TCM air a triple feature of June Allyson's films with James Stewart:

THE STRATTON STORY
THE GLENN MILLER STORY
STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND

They were so charming, so delightful together.

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 7.09.06 PM.jpg

Was there a football game scene in Strategic Air Command? My mother used to tell me that my grandmother was one of the spectators in the bleachers. Obviously no way to confirm that, but it's a cool story at least.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BlueMoods said:

Was there a football game scene in Strategic Air Command? My mother used to tell me that my grandmother was one of the spectators in the bleachers. Obviously no way to confirm that, but it's a cool story at least.

It's been awhile since I've seen it. I can't remember if there was a football game in the movie or not.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I'd like to see TCM air a triple feature of June Allyson's films with James Stewart:

THE STRATTON STORY
THE GLENN MILLER STORY
STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND

They were so charming, so delightful together.

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 7.09.06 PM.jpg

I had the 33 & 1/3 soundtrack album for years. It was very good;  Henry Mancini was in charge of it. What he did was to go out and find key members from the original Glenn Miller Orchestra, to play along with the studio musicians.

And that's how he got the authentic sound.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

I had the 33 & 1/3 soundtrack album for years. It was very good;  Henry Mancini was in charge of it. What he did was to go out and find key members from the original Glenn Miller Orchestra, to play along with the studio musicians.

And that's how he got the authentic sound.

Interesting bit of trivia. Thanks. And yes, the music does sound authentic in the movie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueMoods said:

Was there a football game scene in Strategic Air Command? My mother used to tell me that my grandmother was one of the spectators in the bleachers. Obviously no way to confirm that, but it's a cool story at least.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

It's been awhile since I've seen it. I can't remember if there was a football game in the movie or not.

I'm pretty sure it was a baseball game, as I saw it earlier this year.  Jimmy Stewart's character is a baseball player who is recalled to the Air Force from the reserve, and there's a scene at a ball game early on in the movie.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Elizabeth Milne said:

I'm pretty sure it was a baseball game, as I saw it earlier this year.  Jimmy Stewart's character is a baseball player who is recalled to the Air Force from the reserve, and there's a scene at a ball game early on in the movie.

It helps knowing this. I knew he was an athlete of some kind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I'd like to see TCM air a triple feature of June Allyson's films with James Stewart:

THE STRATTON STORY
THE GLENN MILLER STORY
STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND

They were so charming, so delightful together.

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 7.09.06 PM.jpg

They made a dynamite duo!  Of course little June sparked with anyone she played opposite.  What a ball of fire!

Love all three of those films

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pbm said:

They made a dynamite duo!  Of course little June sparked with anyone she played opposite.  What a ball of fire!

Love all three of those films

What's interesting is all three pictures were done at different studios. THE STRATTON STORY was at MGM; THE GLENN MILLER STORY was at Universal; and STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND was a Paramount release. It doesn't matter that there are different studio styles or that they are working with different directors. These two have a winning formula that just can't be tampered with!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lover-o-Classics said:

June Allyson so often played the sweet little wife, but she did so many pictures with Van Johnson that when I see her with anyone else it somehow seems like she's cheating.  

Did you feel that way when Van Johnson had other leading ladies...that he was cheating on Junie bug?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think The Glenn Miller Story is the film that made me fall in love with Jimmy Stewart. I loved him in It's a Wonderful Life, but this one is one of my favorites. I really need to get a copy to keep on hand. We used to live near the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH, and the Glenn Miller exhibit was one of my favorites. I really was born a decade or two too late.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2018 at 11:14 AM, TopBilled said:

Did you feel that way when Van Johnson had other leading ladies...that he was cheating on Junie bug?

I suppose that's only fair, isn't it?  I've always wondered how any guy lucky enough to grab a sweetie like June (or Greer, Ingrid, Olivia, Shirley, Deborah, Cyd, Teresa, Vera, Barbara, Grace, Myrna, Luise, Claudette, Audrey, Lana, Joan Fontaine and a handful of others) could ever consider cheating.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 9:41 PM, BlueMoods said:

Was there a football game scene in Strategic Air Command? My mother used to tell me that my grandmother was one of the spectators in the bleachers. Obviously no way to confirm that, but it's a cool story at least.

I believe Jimmy Stewart's character was a baseball player NOT football player. But yes there was a bleachers scene so that is awesome!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MusicalLover08 said:

I believe Jimmy Stewart's character was a baseball player NOT football player. But yes there was a bleachers scene so that is awesome!

Well one of the faces in the bleachers was my grandmother! :) Do you know where it was filmed? As far as I know she lived in Florida and Georgia her entire life.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...