Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oh, those legs!  Fred Astaire called her 'beautiful dynamite' and said "That Cyd!  When you've danced with her you stay danced with."  You can see her in a few films today... 'Silk Stockings', 'The Band Wagon', 'Brigadoon', 'Singin' in the Rain'... 'Always Fair Weather.'  Don't anyone dare call me!  (No World Cup games worth watching today... good!) 

• Like 1

She's wonderful and it's great to see how she becomes a better and more comfortable actress as she makes more movies. And DANCING IN THE DARK...WOW!!!

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 12.27.16 PM.jpg
Cyd Charisse musicals on TCM
SILK STOCKINGS with Fred Astaire
THE BAND WAGON with Fred Astaire
IT’S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER with Gene Kelly
BRIGADOON with Gene Kelly
SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN with Gene Kelly
  • Like 1

I love Cyd Charisse! I'm just curious as to which male lead she preferred dancing with in her movie career. I know the men loved dancing with her but I'm curious as to who she preferred dancing with. I know that one issue she must have had was her height. She was taller than most.

Cyd was amazing . Her dancing was phenomenal. That scene in the green dress with Gene Kellybwas so sensual. in the Harvey Girls, her acting wasn’t that great, but she improved as time went on. I loved her the most in Band Wagon.

• Like 1

Heights:

Cyd Charisse: 5' 7'"  or 7.5"

Ann Miller:  5' 7" 

Gene Kelly:  5' 7"

Fred Astaire:  5' 9"

Debbie Reynolds: 5' 2"

Leslie Caron: 5' 1"

Judy Garland: 4' 11"

The dance scene with the green dress, red background, and Kelly's yellow vest reminded me of a stoplight.   But the green stood out against its color opposite.  The lighting needed to make all those colors look luminous must have been thousands of watts. (or would that be hundreds of thousands of watts)   

I found this gem from 1978. She looked great! Whoever posted spelled her name incorrectly.

17 hours ago, CherylPH said:

I love Cyd Charisse! I'm just curious as to which male lead she preferred dancing with in her movie career. I know the men loved dancing with her but I'm curious as to who she preferred dancing with. I know that one issue she must have had was her height. She was taller than most.

In her nightclub act in the '80s, she would joke that husband Tony Martin could always tell who she had been dancing with that day, because when she danced with Astaire her knees would be sore from plieing all day to be shorter than him and when she danced with Kelly she'd be black and blue from the way he threw her around in dance.

• Like 1

Cyd was never a good or better actress.  She was lacking. I will tell you her best acting role was a small role in the Noir Classic Tension (1949) with Richard Basehart.  She and Basehart were terrific together. Director John Berry got a very good performance out of her.Here is a clip from Tension. You will  see Cyd interacting with the wonderful Richard Basehart.

If you haven't seen Party Girl, with Robert Taylor and Cyd Charisse, find it and watch it. The story is weak, but the film is worth it for Cyd Charisse's dance numbers alone! 

Cyd Charisse was the BEST, most stylish and accomplished dancer in Hollywood. She was classically trained in ballet and incorporated that into all her dancing. She had the most beautifully shapes legs. Oh those thighs. How I watched her movies and tried to dance like her. She may not have been the greatest actress but she held her own. favorite numbers....Dancing In The Dark with Astaire and the final number in Bandwagon with the red dress WOW!!! Silk Stockings..Number in the hotel room all by herself and final number with "Russian" dancers. I love an early dance sequence In "Sombrero" where does does a ritual dance on a mountain top WOW WOW WOW

4 hours ago, crysalong said:

If you haven't seen Party Girl, with Robert Taylor and Cyd Charisse, find it and watch it. The story is weak, but the film is worth it for Cyd Charisse's dance numbers alone! 

If the stilettos didn't kill me, the train on the dress would.  How did she DO it?

• Haha 1

My late father was crazy for Cyd Charisse.  I understand why.  Her scene in Singing in the Rain was something else. Wow!