Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Show Boat movies

The early version/s '29 '36 & 51

I'm mainly commenting on the "Ol' Man River " song/s

Paul Robeson '36...read on (Wiki) years ago that he was a lawyer & William Wakeful '51 color version...I"m glad both of these were made it makes for a fine contrast in films & a person could write an essay on just contrasting these two versions

I just wanted to note them here...gives me chills on my arms to hear these versions of "Ol Man River"

If I have an opportunity to watch both films I may come back here & add in a few items

The secondary characters in the '36 films are delightful 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, mijiyoon38 said:

Show Boat movies

The early version/s '29 '36 & 51

I'm mainly commenting on the "Ol' Man River " song/s

Paul Robeson '36...read on (Wiki) years ago that he was a lawyer & William Wakeful '51 color version...I"m glad both of these were made it makes for a fine contrast in films & a person could write an essay on just contrasting these two versions

I just wanted to note them here...gives me chills on my arms to hear these versions of "Ol Man River"

If I have an opportunity to watch both films I may come back here & add in a few items

The secondary characters in the '36 films are delightful 

I was privledged to see William Warfield (51) sing live at the 1976 Bi-Centennial Celebration in Central Park.  Leonard Bernstein led the concert, and Warfield recited and sang, "The Lincoln Memorial."  Great voice, both speaking and singing!

• Like 1

Retyping - I put the comment in the wrong place.

I was privledged to see William Warfield (51) sing live at the 1976 Bi-Centennial Celebration in Central Park in NYC.  Leonard Bernstein led the concert, and Warfield recited and sang, "The Lincoln Memorial."  Great voice, both speaking and singing!

• Like 1

When Hal Prince restaged the play years ago (1993) I always wanted to go see it. Elaine Stritch was Parthy and Robert Morse was Captain Andy. Julie was played my Lonette McKee. It was a very touching production. I had to watch it on TV, but I loved it. If you can find it I suggest you watch it. The MGM version was entertaining, but very sanitized.

• Like 1