Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Every time I watch Royal Wedding, I always chuckle a bit because Sarah Churchill plays Anne Ashmond in the film. Yes, THAT Churchill. Sarah was among the five children of Winston and Clementine Churchill. She quite closely resembled her mother. She joined the WAAF during WWII where she worked in photo reconnaissance. It is said that she was exceptional at the work, particularly being of great aid to the cause of the invasion of North Africa in 1942. She appeared in several films, with Royal Wedding being the most notable among them. She also appeared in television and on the stage. Sarah also dabbled as an artist. She was not an all together happy individual, had one failed marriage and was widowed twice, and all three marriages were childless. She was quite wild, very much the black sheep of the family, much to her father’s chagrin. She was in poor health for years before her death as a result of her alcoholism. 

Just thought I’d mention Sarah Churchill since we’ve spent some time thinking about the WWII period and musicals. If you’re a comedian, I suppose you could look on her appearance with Fred Astaire as Britain’s contribution to FDR’s Lend-Lease program. [insert giggle, sigh, or tears here] 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 6/21/2018 at 1:05 PM, BartG said:

The Freed Unit was a bit obsessed with the Churchills. Note the gag in the clip included today from American in Paris with the lookalike actor and Kelly's double take.

That’s Dudley Field Malone, an American attorney. He’d served in Woodrow Wilson’s administration but left it because he generally didn’t agree with Wilson’s politics. He’s remembered most notably for being defence co-counsel with Clarence Darrow in the Scopes Trial. His resemblance to Churchill is uncanny. If you’ve seen the 1943 Michael Curtiz film Mission to Moscow, you saw Malone portray Churchill before he did it with Kelly. 

• Like 1

One of the retro stations on TV showed this movie every other Friday for a while it seemed LOL so I had a lot of time to look at it and think about all of the elements. Sarah Churchill always stood out to me so I looked her up and wondered why I didn't see her in many other musicals from the era. She was such a great foil for Fred Astaire, IMO equally elegant and classy.