Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One of my all time favorite lines is from Gigi:

"Bad table manners, my dear Gigi, have broken up more households than infidelity."

What are some of yours?  I have quite a few but want to see what others' like from what we've viewed so far in "Mad About Musicals."

• Like 2

These come to mind!

From Singin' in the Rain:
"Hey Joe, bring me a tarantula!"

From Top Hat:
"We are Bates."
"If I ever forgot myself with that girl, I'd remember it."

From Swing Time (more of a conversation):
Helen Broderick: Beautiful, isn't it?
Victor Moore: What is?
HB: The music.
VM: What music?
HB: The music they're playing.
VM: Oh, yeah... what made you think of it?
HB: Think of what?
VM: The music.
HB (most drily and sarcastically): Oh, I don't know; my mind was wandering, I guess.

From Brigadoon:
"If there's anything I hate, it's you!" (or pretty much anything Van Johnson says - the much needed acerbic balm to this film's cloistering schmaltziness)

From both For Me and My Gal and Easter Parade:
"Why didn't you tell me I was in love with you?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meet Me in St. Louis: "Personally, I think I have too much bloom."

Singing in the Rain: "What do they think I am, dumb or something? Why, I make more money than Calvin Coolidge! Put together!"

An American in Paris: "It's not a pretty face, I grant you, but underneath its flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character."

Yankee Doodle Dandy: Eddie Foy: "George M. Cohan and his royal family. Books and lyrics, music and directed by George M. Cohan. Printed by Sam Divensky". That must be Cohan's alias.

Yankee Doodle Dandy: George: Oh, he's been through the mill. Played everything. Small time, big time, vaudeville, rep shows. Even followed dog acts.
Foy: Must've looked like an encore. Say, uh, is he as good as Foy?
George: Who?
Foy: Foy, Foy. (Foy sprays George's face) Eddie Foy. Oh, pardon me.
George: Pardon me. I didn't quite catch the name. Would you mind spraying it again?

Gigi: 

Madame Alvarez: She... she doesn't want to. 

Aunt Alicia: She doesn't want to.? 

Madame Alvarez: She doesn't want to. 

Aunt Alicia: Such stupidity is without equal in the entire history of human relations. It must be your fault. It must be! You must have emphasized all the difficulties instead of all the delights. What did you say to the little monster? 

Madame Alvarez: Oh no, Alicia! Gigi perhaps is a little slow about certain things but just because she isn't attracted to Gaston Lachaille doesn't make her a monster. 

Aunt Alicia: Doesn't make her a princess!

Gaston: Uncle! I'll tell you Europe is breeding a generation of vandals and ingrates. Children are coming into the world with ice-covered souls and hatchets in their hands! And before they have finished, they'll smash everything beautiful and decent.
Honore Lachaille: Have a piece of cheese

More coming from Fred and Ginger as well as Judy later if someone else doesn't post them. 

• Like 1

From An American in Paris:

Jerry Mulligan: That’s quite a dress you almost have on.

Milo: Thanks.

Jerry:What holds it up?

Milo: Modesty.

• Like 4

42nd Street...I think it was Ginger Rogers’ character who said “It must have been hard on your mother not having any children.”

Singing in the Rain...Lina Lamont said, “What do they think I am, dumb or something? Why, I make more money than Calvin Coolidge! Put together!”

Gigi...all the lyrics to “I Remember It Well”!

• Like 2

Several from "Top Hat" (1935) stick in my mind.

Bates to Jerry: 'We are Bates." Jerry responds: "We are Jerry Travers."

Jerry to Dale, "When dealing with a girl or horse, one just lets nature take its course"

Dale to Jerry, "What is this strange power you have over horses?"  Jerry, "Horsepower."      

Alberto to Dale, "Who is giving you this horse's shoe?"

Alberto to Dale, "Go ahead and marry this Adam. But, as Mrs. Adam, what will you wear?"                           Dale responds "A fig leaf."

Alberto to Dale, "I am too much protection enough!"

Alberto to Horace, "For the woman, the kiss; for the man, the sword!"

• Like 1

The Wizard of Oz:

Tin Man: "Why don't you try counting sheep?"

Lion: "That's doesn't do any good; I'm afraid of them!"

Easter Parade:

Don: "Why didn't you tell me I was in love with you?"

(I realize this line was used first in For Me and My Gal, but while in there it was a cute aside, here it carries weight and potency.)

On the Town:

Lucy: Did you see "The Lost Weekend?"

Gabey: Yes, I think I'm living through it. 

Singin' in the Rain:

Cosmo: "Talking pictures? That means I'm out of a job! At last, I can start suffering and write my symphony."

R.F.: "You're not out of a job. We're putting you in as head of our new music department."

Cosmo: "Oh, thanks, R.F.! At last, I can stop suffering and write that symphony!"

A Star is Born:

Norman: I just want to take another look at you.

• Like 1

Good News:

Connie Lane: Gee, I wish someone loved me like you love you!

Connie Lane: Why don't you just hit her over the head with a hockey stick?

Singin' in the Rain:

Don Lockwood: [desperately] Hey, Cos! Do something! Call me a cab!

Cosmo Brown: OK, you're a cab.

Don Lockwood: [unimpressed] Thanks a lot!

Cosmo Brown: Gee, I'm glad you turned up, we've been looking inside every cake in town.

The Unsinkable Molly Brown:

Molly Brown: It's not the money I love, it's the not having it I hate.

Molly Brown: [in France] Here I'm pleasant, at home I'm vulgar, I guess it's like here you eat snails, at home you step on them.

• Like 1

Aunt Alicia in Gigi has the best lines, like Maggie Smith as the Dowager in Downton Abbery.   Her delivery is a hoot.  I'd quote almost everything she says.  But in her Henry Higgins-type role I particularly like the lessons dialogue. Just a few: 

Aunt Alicia: "Now turn...  walk back and sit down.  And don't flop into the chair. Insinuate yourself.
That's better. Now rise and exit the same way. Don't jump up!  Ascend!"

Aunt Alicia: "Pick up the coffeepot with one hand and the cup and saucer with the other.  Always both. Never the coffeepot alone."

Gigi: "Like this, Aunt?"

Aunt Alicia: "Your grip on the saucer must be firm... but not obviously so.  The saucer must seem so much a part of your fingers that one would think it could only be removed by surgery.  Now pour... .and be sure the coffeepot is upright before you take the cup away.  There must be no drops.  Now give it to me."

On 6/20/2018 at 8:01 PM, MotherofZeus said:

Gigi: 

Madame Alvarez: She... she doesn't want to. 

Aunt Alicia: She doesn't want to.? 

Madame Alvarez: She doesn't want to. 

Aunt Alicia: Such stupidity is without equal in the entire history of human relations. It must be your fault. It must be! You must have emphasized all the difficulties instead of all the delights. What did you say to the little monster? 

Madame Alvarez: Oh no, Alicia! Gigi perhaps is a little slow about certain things but just because she isn't attracted to Gaston Lachaille doesn't make her a monster. 

Aunt Alicia: Doesn't make her a princess!

To explain the arrangement to Gigi, Alicia uses this line, which is used in the comic toss back later (see above): 

Aunt Alicia: When you speak to Gigi, be sure and stress the difficulties of the situation, not the delights.  The role she will have to play.  She's a naive, thoughtless girl. You must warn her not to ask for the moon.

And Honore advising Gaston: 

Honore:  Why not consult your little book and meet me at Maxim's tonight?
Gaston:   Splendid idea.
Honore:   I would suggest a redhead.  Try Michéle. I saw her last night. She looked heavenly.
Gaston:   I'll call her at once.
Honore:   You should. She doesn't have many good years left.

• Haha 1

One of my favorites from Guys & Dolls:

Skye Masterson:  Daddy, I’ve got cider in my ear. 

• Like 1

Wizard of Oz:

Auntie Em Gale: Almira Gulch, just because you own half the county doesn't mean that you have the power to run the rest of us. For twenty-three years, I've been dying to tell you what I thought of you! And now... well, being a Christian woman, I can't say it!

Uncle Henry Gale: Dorothy? Well, what has Dorothy done?

Miss Gulch: What she's done? I'm all but lame from the bite on my leg!

Uncle Henry Gale: Oh! You mean she bit you?

Miss Gulch: No, her dog!

Uncle Henry Gale: Oh, she bit her dog, eh?

[Uncle Henry tries to shut the gate, but it hits her on the backside]

Miss Gulch: [exasperated] No!

Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?

Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Meet Me in St Louis

'Tootie' Smith: It'll take me at least a week to dig up all my dolls in the cemetery.

Singin in the Rain

Rod: Lina, you're a beautiful woman. Audiences think you've got a voice to match. The studio's gotta keep their stars from looking ridiculous at any cost.

Cosmo Brown: Nobody's got that much money.

Rosco: Lina! We're missing every other word! You've got to talk into the mike!

Lina: [pointing at the bush] Well, I can't make love to a bush!

Lina Lamont: People? I ain't "people"! I am a...[reads from newspaper] "a shimmering, glowing star in the cinema firmament." It says so... [hands newspaper to R.F] right there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pastiche said:

To explain the arrangement to Gigi, Alicia uses this line, which is used in the comic toss back later (see above): 

Aunt Alicia: When you speak to Gigi, be sure and stress the difficulties of the situation, not the delights.  The role she will have to play.  She's a naive, thoughtless girl. You must warn her not to ask for the moon.

And Honore advising Gaston: 

Honore:  Why not consult your little book and meet me at Maxim's tonight?
Gaston:   Splendid idea.
Honore:   I would suggest a redhead.  Try Michéle. I saw her last night. She looked heavenly.
Gaston:   I'll call her at once.
Honore:   You should. She doesn't have many good years left.

Aunt Alicia: With teeth like that, I could have devoured half of Europe. 

Anything from My Fair Lady--probably 'cause so much dialogue is straight outa Bernard Shaw!  The whole influenza/gin conversation makes me laugh so hard I cry--especially "Them as pinched it, done her in," and "Gin was mother's milk to her. Besides, he poured so much down his own throat, he knew the good of it."  Also, Lerner does a superb job bringing details from Pygmalion into his lyrics, like putting Eliza's love for chocolate into "Wouldn't It Be Loverly."  Two of the funniest lyrics stand out to me because of how the listener starts anticipating what the next words might be, but we get a surprise instead: at Ascot, when the completely-unruffled spectators sing "I have never been so keyed up"; then when Eliza imagines telling Henry, "You, dear friend, who talk so well, you can go to Hartford, Hereford, and Hampshire."

• Like 1

My favorite quotes are from The Wizard of Oz:

"I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too!"

"It's a twister!  It's a twister!"

"There's no place like home."

"I'm melting, melting!"

• Like 1

"You're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!"

• Like 1

The Music Man

Harold Hill: Mothers of River City, heed that warning before it's too late! Watch for the telltale signs of corruption! The minute your son leaves the house, does he rebuckle his knickerbockers below the knee? Is there a nicotine stain on his index finger? A dime-novel hidden in the corncrib? Is he starting to memorize jokes from Captain Billy's Whiz-Bang? Are certain words creeping into his conversation? Words like "swell" and "so's your old man"? If so my friends, ya got trouble!

Mayor Shinn: [referring to Harold Hill] He's slipperier'n a *Mississippi... sturgeon*!

Mayor Shinn: I couldn't make myself any plainer if I'se a Quaker on his day off!