Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

People Who Don't Need to Be SOTM Again Any Time Soon

I plunged down the rabbit hole of looking at all the Stars of the Month and counting their appearances. Interestingly, Steve McQueen and Dean Martin, both due up later this year, will each be first-timers. I'm relatively shocked by McQueen especially, as TCM seems to play his movies a lot. He's probably had several SUTS days.

Anyway, there are still plenty of people waiting their turn. I've seen some calls for Joan Bennett recently, and there's currently a thread calling for Ricardo Montalban. We finally got Susan Hayward a couple of years back after many years of people on these boards demanding her. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Brian Aherne or Howard DeSilva, but I'm probably dreaming.

Anyway, for the record, no one has yet been SOTM four times, but there have been quite a few actors (16) who have been honored three times. Here are all of them in alphabetical order:

Joan Crawford
Doris Day
Olivia De Havilland
Clark Gable
Greta Garbo
Judy Garland
Greer Garson
Cary Grant
Katharine Hepburn
Myrna Loy
Frank Sinatra
Barbara Stanwyck
James Stewart
Elizabeth Taylor
John Wayne
Natalie Wood

Interestingly, that's five men and 11 women. TCM definitely tends to show less diversity among its female selections than its male selections.

So, I would call for a indefinite moratorium on these performers. I feel a little bad about that, as Ms. Day and Ms. DeHavilland are still living, and it's kind of neat to think they might be aware of being honored. But there are so many out there yet to get the spotlight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I plunged down the rabbit hole of looking at all the Stars of the Month and counting their appearances. Interestingly, Steve McQueen and Dean Martin, both due up later this year, will each be first-timers. I'm relatively shocked by McQueen especially, as TCM seems to play his movies a lot. He's probably had several SUTS days.

Anyway, there are still plenty of people waiting their turn. I've seen some calls for Joan Bennett recently, and there's currently a thread calling for Ricardo Montalban. We finally got Susan Hayward a couple of years back after many years of people on these boards demanding her. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Brian Aherne or Howard DeSilva, but I'm probably dreaming.

Anyway, for the record, no one has yet been SOTM four times, but there have been quite a few actors (16) who have been honored three times. Here are all of them in alphabetical order:

Joan Crawford
Doris Day
Olivia De Havilland
Clark Gable
Greta Garbo
Judy Garland
Greer Garson
Cary Grant
Katharine Hepburn
Myrna Loy
Frank Sinatra
Barbara Stanwyck
James Stewart
Elizabeth Taylor
John Wayne
Natalie Wood

Interestingly, that's five men and 11 women. TCM definitely tends to show less diversity among its female selections than its male selections.

So, I would call for a indefinite moratorium on these performers. I feel a little bad about that, as Ms. Day and Ms. DeHavilland are still living, and it's kind of neat to think they might be aware of being honored. But there are so many out there yet to get the spotlight.

We know that when Olivia passes away, she'll get a 24-hour tribute. Same for Doris. Also Doris will likely be Star of the Month again on her 100th birthday, whether she's still living or not. So I'd say Doris is most likely to get her fourth turn at bat. Many of the others will get a fourth time also, it's just a matter of when.

I agree they could cut back on the exposure of a few of these and push some of the others to the front. Ones like Joan Bennett, Ricardo Montalban, Marlon Brando, Pat O'Brien, George Sanders, maybe Robert Young again who hasn't been honored since the beginning of the channel's history, you get the idea. As well as the many deserving stars from other studios-- Fox's Tyrone Power or Gene Tierney; Universal's Audie Murphy or Yvonne De Carlo, Paramount's Jerry Lewis or Betty Hutton, etc.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Doris Day
Olivia De Havilland
Clark Gable
Greta Garbo
Judy Garland
Greer Garson
Cary Grant
Katharine Hepburn
Myrna Loy
Frank Sinatra
Barbara Stanwyck
James Stewart
Elizabeth Taylor
John Wayne
Natalie Wood

All big names. It doesn't surprise me that they have been SOTM multiple times.

16 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I agree they could cut back on the exposure of a few of these and push some of the others to the front. Ones like Joan Bennett, Ricardo Montalban, Marlon Brando, Pat O'Brien, George Sanders, maybe Robert Young again who hasn't been honored since the beginning of the channel's history, you get the idea. As well as the many deserving stars from other studios-- Fox's Tyrone Power or Gene Tierney; Universal's Audie Murphy or Yvonne De Carlo, Paramount's Jerry Lewis or Betty Hutton, etc.

I wish they would pick Max Linder or some other big star whose movies TCM hasn't shown much of. There could be a lot of premieres. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

All big names. It doesn't surprise me that they have been SOTM multiple times.

I wish they would pick Max Linder or some other big star whose movies TCM hasn't shown much of. There could be a lot of premieres. 

Yes, good idea. Someone outside the box, who was a huge star abroad though maybe not a big star in America. It would certainly bring a lot of "newer" films to TCM's airwaves. And if it were someone like Linder, where their career occurred during the silent movie days, even better!

• Like 1

Kay Francis has been SOTM, and pretty recently, too, at least relatively for SOTM. I'm gonna have to go look it up, but we probably won't see her again any time soon.

Edit: I'm sorry, it's been longer than I thought. Kay's one and only time as SOTM was September, 2008, so she's definitely due to come around again.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

but we probably won't see her again any time soon.

Too bad.

Interesting that in today's world...no one (except for TCM wonks) knows of her; in spite of being one of the highest paid actors of the 1930(s)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Arteesto said:

Too bad.

Interesting that in today's world...no one (except for TCM wonks) knows of her; in spite of being one of the highest paid actors of the 1930(s)

Well, there are many 30s stars that are unknown to the general public. Big as they may have been. Only a handful have name recognition. (Davis, Cagney etc.)

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

It's amazing that big stars like Lillian Gish and Marion Davies have yet to be selected. Not like they don't have access to their films.

Yes, why keep overlooking Lillian Gish? My goodness, the woman was a legend...for decades. All that Hollywood history, so many films to choose from, too. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Joan Crawford
Doris Day
Olivia De Havilland
Clark Gable
Greta Garbo
Judy Garland
Greer Garson
Cary Grant
Katharine Hepburn
Myrna Loy
Frank Sinatra
Barbara Stanwyck
James Stewart
Elizabeth Taylor
John Wayne
Natalie Wood

HEY BUDDY!  NATALIE has hardly ever been honored, so it did not seem like (3) times???

Who holds the record, I bet it's between *B. Davis & Cary Grant, am I right?

But for some reason you didn't include *Davis above?

23 minutes ago, spence said:

HEY BUDDY!  NATALIE has hardly ever been honored, so it did not seem like (3) times???

Who holds the record, I bet it's between *B. Davis & Cary Grant, am I right?

But for some reason you didn't include *Davis above?

Bette Davis has been SOTM only two times, in May of '99. and May of '06

Natalie Wood was SOTM in July of '99, June of '10, and November of '16.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, why keep overlooking Lillian Gish? My goodness, the woman was a legend...for decades. All that Hollywood history, so many films to choose from, too. 

Yeah, I dont get it. Guess they consider her a silent star relegated to Silent Sundays.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, I dont get it. Guess they consider her a silent star relegated to Silent Sundays.

Apparently. I think she did have a day in August a few years ago. But she really deserves a whole month.

• Like 1

So, I would call for a indefinite moratorium on these performers.

I couldn't disagree more. The greatest stars of the big screen should always be showcased in whatever specials that exist. They are the names that make the films classics. I frankly don't get tired of the stars doing what they do so well.

For every avid fan who wants to see other actors celebrated, there is that new viewer who is seeing these films for the first time. They should have the benefit of seeing the stars on their chosen month. To have them SOTM less often, sure. But, never a moratorium.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

For every avid fan who wants to see other actors celebrated, there is that new viewer who is seeing these films for the first time. They should have the benefit of seeing the stars on their chosen month. To have them SOTM less often, sure. But, never a moratorium.

Yes, it's the bigger stars that bring in the viewers, even if some of our TCM 24/7 crowd grow tired of them. There are 10 months to choose stars for, since Oscars and SUTS remove two months. So how about 6 months of the year with usual suspects, i.e. the bigger names, and then four months to play around with. One month with a star who worked in silents, like Gish or John Gilbert or Valentino or whomever. One month with an international star. One month with a "newer" star, such as someone who started in the '60's or '70's. And then one month for a character performer. Or something along those lines.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yes, it's the bigger stars that bring in the viewers, even if some of our TCM 24/7 crowd grow tired of them. There are 10 months to choose stars for, since Oscars and SUTS remove two months. So how about 6 months of the year with usual suspects, i.e. the bigger names, and then four months to play around with. One month with a star who worked in silents, like Gish or John Gilbert or Valentino or whomever. One month with an international star. One month with a "newer" star, such as someone who started in the '60's or '70's. And then one month for a character performer. Or something along those lines.

Yes, that's EXACTLY how it should be. Hopefully the programmers are reading your comment.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, good idea. Someone outside the box, who was a huge star abroad though maybe not a big star in America. It would certainly bring a lot of "newer" films to TCM's airwaves. And if it were someone like Linder, where their career occurred during the silent movie days, even better!

I nominate William Bendix for this spot...if there's enough of a catalog.  I honestly don't know offhand how many movies he made in comparison to TV (The Life of Riley), but I always enjoy when he pops up on my screen.  The Blue Dahlia is the most underappreciated noir of all time, in my opinion.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, A Ryan Seacrest Type said:

I nominate William Bendix for this spot...if there's enough of a catalog.  I honestly don't know offhand how many movies he made in comparison to TV (The Life of Riley), but I always enjoy when he pops up on my screen.  The Blue Dahlia is the most underappreciated noir of all time, in my opinion.

Yes, even with its cop-out ending THE BLUE DAHLIA is an ace noir. Lake, Ladd and Bendix were never better.

While watching A Star is Born last night, I started thinking, hey why not Jack Carson for SOTM? I'm not sure he's ever even gotten a SUTS day. This would be an easy one for TCM with the majority of his films at WB. He was definitely a loyal soldier to his studio, seemingly happy in doing whatever was asked of him. For several years there, he would move back and forth from one movie to the next between leading roles opposite the likes of Doris Day or as a comedy duo with Dennis Morgan and comic or dramatic supporting roles.

• Like 2

I've been worried that we will never ever again see the likes of the more esoteric (like Kay Francis, etc.) actors for SOTM but I thought it was a good sign that they selected Leslie Howard for June.  I think at least a couple of the SOTM selections per year should be for the 1930's and 1940's stars who "had their day" but aren't well known today except for those of us who are mad about classic films.  But, having said that, I have absolutely had it with Judy Garland, Kate Hepburn, John Wayne and Natalie Wood as SOTM again!  I like them all but enough is enough! They already get lots of airtime since their films are constantly played in the regular TCM rotation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1