Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After 3 weeks I'm just about ready to OD on musicals, but must say I enjoyed 'Pal Joey'... seeing it for the first time.  Not just show tunes, but some great songs (Lady is a Tramp... take that, Rita!), and a good story.  What a choice for Frank to have to make, between Rita Hayworth and Kim Novak, but I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in who he finally ended up with.  One more first-time show to see tonight - 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' - then I'll have take a break for the weekend.  

• Like 2

Just finished watching Pal Joey for the first time too. (Thank you dvr.) I’m intrigued that Gene Kelly played the role on the stage. I love Kelly, but I have to say, this role seems like it was written for Sinatra. Rita Hayworth was terrific, and the score terrific.

I was struck by how different this was in its look/ feel from the other musicals I’ve watched for the class. I can’t put my finger on it, but maybe slicker? different camera work? With Nelson Riddle doing the arrangements, it certainly sounds different. I’m a regular listener to “The Retro Cocktail Hour” on our NPR station, and the music definitely had the “space age bachelor pad music” vibe. I have the feeling that this has more in common with musicals of the 60s than of the early 50s.

• Like 1