Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Worst First-Time-Viewed Film You've Ever Seen on TCM?

I don't mean a movie you'd seen previously.

I mean a movie you never had seen before that TCM happened to air, and you happened to watch either deliberately or just because you "stumbled upon it", and it was so bad you either couldn't believe you sat through the whole thing, or you bagged it midway.

I rarely do not finish a film, even if it's bad.  On occasion though, I HAVE TO just to save what's left of my sanity.

Only one film that I ever watched on TCM, I had to bail on.  That was The Legend of Lylah Clare.  I knew it was probably bad.  Why?

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Razzie-Movie-Guide-Hollywoods/dp/0446693340

Because that book stated it was the worst film ever.  So, of course, I HAD to see it.  I expected I'd be able to get through it.  Nope.  My wife and I practically broke the remote trying to turn that dreck off.

So how about you?  What movie made you cry for mommy?  ?

OK....so some BOOK made the claim the movie was the worst ever( or something), and when you watched it AFTER reading about it in that book YOU TOO, came to that conclusion.  So.....

Did you HONESTLY think the movie was "dreck", or thought so because the BOOK made you believe you HAD to?  

I've never seen the film in question, so can't give my take on it, but as one's trash is another's treasure and all that sort of thing, you're in for some interesting blowback.   :D   Besides.....

NO movie EVER made me "cry for Mommy" since I was FOUR YEARS OLD!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

But then again.....

For years and years( and still to this day....) I've heard from many long time critics and many so-called "experts" about how "GREAT" the screwball "comedy" BRINGING UP BABY was supposed to be.  But alas, upon finally seeing it ('bout 30+ years ago) I was left wondering just what WAS all the hype about?  It was sort of your situation sideways----Always heard it was good but I thought it wasn't, as with you, you READ the particular movie was a stinker, and when YOU finally watched it, YOU thought it stunk too.  So, in that case, some might wonder if your dislike of the movie was honest, or possibly somehow predetermined.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
On 6/22/2018 at 1:18 AM, A Ryan Seacrest Type said:

I don't mean a movie you'd seen previously.

I mean a movie you never had seen before that TCM happened to air, and you happened to watch either deliberately or just because you "stumbled upon it", and it was so bad you either couldn't believe you sat through the whole thing, or you bagged it midway.

I rarely do not finish a film, even if it's bad.  On occasion though, I HAVE TO just to save what's left of my sanity.

Only one film that I ever watched on TCM, I had to bail on.  That was The Legend of Lylah Clare.  I knew it was probably bad.  Why?

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Razzie-Movie-Guide-Hollywoods/dp/0446693340

Because that book stated it was the worst film ever.  So, of course, I HAD to see it.  I expected I'd be able to get through it.  Nope.  My wife and I practically broke the remote trying to turn that dreck off.

So how about you?  What movie made you cry for mommy?  ?

So you didn't like "The Legend of Lylah Clare"? Interesting. I guess the themes of reincarnation and the mysterious death of an old time star and her resemblance to a person still alive didn't turn you on, eh? I enjoyed watching it due to the the attention to detail in Kim Novak's hair-do which was done of course by Sydney Guilaroff, Garbo's favorite who she called Gilly and I tend to like films directed by Robert Aldrich and of course it had the great cameraman, Joseph Biroc on the crew too, plus having stars like Peter Finch and lesser known cult figures like Dick Miller of Roger Corman fame, but to each his own. Let me sleep on this... I would have to pick a movie a lot less well made than TLOLC to quality for this intriquing title of WORST FIRST-TIME-VIEWED FILM YOU'VE EVER SEEN ON TCM?

• Like 1

I can't remember any particular titles, but the first time I saw Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle in anything without Buster Keaton was on TCM. Some of the work was early, and some of it was later - maybe even the 1930s because I believe some had sound. It was tragic how Arbuckle was blacklisted in Hollywood for something he didn't even do, but even if his career had continued unimpeded I think he would have gone out of style, because his comedy just didn't evolve with the times. He was still pretty much relying on "kick in the pants" style comedy in the 1930s just like he was in the teens, when the world had moved on.

• Like 1

Just thought of one! I had managed to avoid this movie at all costs until one day TCM played it, and it was my very first time seeing it, I swear.

"The Sound of Music" or as my boyfriend called it, "The Sound of Mucus". You want to talk sacchariney, then this is the film to do it about. Gag me with a spoonful of sugar first please.

Yes, it was horrid with that nasty convent leaving nun, taking up with that count or whatever and then butting into all his children's lives and making them sing while they work. Who cares if someone is going on seventeen or wants to climb a mountain and like haven't I only heard that song about a million times at those awful graduation ceremonies that I detest and abhor and despise? I'm so sick of it I'd like to ring the name of the composers of all the tunes that no diabetic should ever listen to alone without medication on hand.

Brown paper packages tied up with string never turned me on either!

• Like 1
On 6/22/2018 at 8:02 AM, Sepiatone said:

OK....so some BOOK made the claim the movie was the worst ever( or something), and when you watched it AFTER reading about it in that book YOU TOO, came to that conclusion.  So.....

Did you HONESTLY think the movie was "dreck", or thought so because the BOOK made you believe you HAD to?  

I've never seen the film in question, so can't give my take on it, but as one's trash is another's treasure and all that sort of thing, you're in for some interesting blowback.   :D   Besides.....

NO movie EVER made me "cry for Mommy" since I was FOUR YEARS OLD!  ;) 

Sepiatone

I  have seen The Legend of Lylah Clare and I also found it to be a really bad film. 

• Like 1

Well, who knows?

I might, after finally seeing the movie, wind up LOVING it!  All I'M saying is that opinions as to whether any movie is good or bad SHOULD be left up to the INDIVIDUALS who see it, and NOT predetermined by a bunch of so-called "experts", or any other group of people, or ANY one else.  

After all.... this LYLAH CLARE flick might be somebody's FAVORITE MOVIE, just as the guy I know(and often mentioned) who thinks the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is the BEST movie EVER made!  ;) 

And also after all----How many times have any of YOU gone to see some movie which had a ton of favorable hype , only to find, once you sat there watching it WAS (in your opinion) SO BAD that it brought up your popcorn?   Or so boring it put you in such a deep sleep that you couldn't stay awake LONG enough to walk out on it?  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:57 PM, CaveGirl said:

Just thought of one! I had managed to avoid this movie at all costs until one day TCM played it, and it was my very first time seeing it, I swear.

"The Sound of Music" or as my boyfriend called it, "The Sound of Mucus". You want to talk sacchariney, then this is the film to do it about. Gag me with a spoonful of sugar first please.

Yes, it was horrid with that nasty convent leaving nun, taking up with that count or whatever and then butting into all his children's lives and making them sing while they work. Who cares if someone is going on seventeen or wants to climb a mountain and like haven't I only heard that song about a million times at those awful graduation ceremonies that I detest and abhor and despise? I'm so sick of it I'd like to ring the name of the composers of all the tunes that no diabetic should ever listen to alone without medication on hand.

Brown paper packages tied up with string never turned me on either!

Sorry you didn't like THE SOUND OF MUSIC. I have adored it since it was a child.

There are a lot of people who are turned off by the movie's sentimentality, but for me that's precisely why I love it. 

And I personally love ALL the songs. 

I think you're way off base about Maria and the general story, but hey, if you didn't like the movie, you didn't like it.

TSOM will always be a treasure for me though.

Three points:  (1) Whatever one thinks about The Sound of Music, it's never actually been on TCM.  (2) Even if my  opinion of The Sound of Music was distinctly lower, it's clearly a better movie than Camelot, which I did see on TCM and found to be much more dull.  (3) I've been regularly watching TCM since 2006.  I only have easy access to what I've seen since 2013.  Of the last five years, I would say watching the musical version of Lost Horizon was the least rewarding experience.

On 6/25/2018 at 10:33 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Sorry you didn't like THE SOUND OF MUSIC. I have adored it since it was a child.

There are a lot of people who are turned off by the movie's sentimentality, but for me that's precisely why I love it. 

And I personally love ALL the songs. 

I think you're way off base about Maria and the general story, but hey, if you didn't like the movie, you didn't like it.

TSOM will always be a treasure for me though.

When you are mostly a horrible person like moi, Beth, you just can't like TSOM! It would be like the Prince of Darkness asking for Angel Food Cake as his favorite at the bakery. I am glad though that you enjoy it and I will admit that Rodgers and Hammerstein write a fine score. Maybe that's it...my old piano teacher gave me the entire songbook to learn which might explain my antipathy. Actually I love Julie Andrews but think the real Maria Von Trapp was a monster who made those poor children carry water up and down hills and all the neighbors hated her, and she was like a Nazi-nun, but that's another story. I was really just kidding about it mostly as who can deny that TSOM is a class-A film! Sorry if my tongue in cheek diatribe made you even slightly sad...

Plenty of waste your time movies out there...the whole genre of horror films for example!

A recently aired flick entitled "The All-American Boy" 1973 with Jon Voight was all around trash and should be avoided at all cost. ?

Stick to the classics...Chaplin, Lloyd, Joe E. Brown, etc. ?

More foreign movie classics such as "Woman in the Dunes" 1964, "Cinema Paradiso" 1988, "Das Boot" 1981, "Fitzcarraldo" 1982, "The Passion of Joan of Arc" 1928, "The Battle of Algiers" 1966, "Dersu Uzala" 1975, "Ikiru" 1952, M 1931, "Le Schpountz a.k.a. Heartbeat" 1938 just to name a few. ?

On 6/24/2018 at 7:29 AM, Sepiatone said:

Well, who knows?

I might, after finally seeing the movie, wind up LOVING it!  All I'M saying is that opinions as to whether any movie is good or bad SHOULD be left up to the INDIVIDUALS who see it, and NOT predetermined by a bunch of so-called "experts", or any other group of people, or ANY one else.  

After all.... this LYLAH CLARE flick might be somebody's FAVORITE MOVIE, just as the guy I know(and often mentioned) who thinks the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is the BEST movie EVER made!  ;) 

And also after all----How many times have any of YOU gone to see some movie which had a ton of favorable hype , only to find, once you sat there watching it WAS (in your opinion) SO BAD that it brought up your popcorn?   Or so boring it put you in such a deep sleep that you couldn't stay awake LONG enough to walk out on it?  ;)

Sepiatone

I usually don't have palpable reactions to films, but I will say that the only time I got a nosebleed while watching a film was during my viewing of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" in a revival theater.

I didn't say though that I didn't like it!

Help, please, as to an explanation of your "nosebleed" comment.  For instance....

The closest I came to getting a nosebleed in a movie theater is when my wife smacked  my face to wake me up because I was snoring too loud during GODFATHER III.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

I love "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".  It is a masterpiece of cinema and I applaud TCM for having this title in their library.  I saw for the first time "For A Few Dollars More" during "Summer Under the Stars" and I liked it.  Great Film.  Kept me entertained and engaged scene after scene. 

I am sorry to announce I have to nominate "A Fistful of Dollars" as the "Worst First-Time Viewed Film" for now.  I tried watching it for forty minutes and I could not understand what was going on, why the characters were behaving in such a manner.  I turned it off.  

Since "A Fistful of Dollars" is part of the "Man with No Name" trilogy I am going to give it another chance to get off my "Worst First-Time Viewed Film" list when TCM schedules this title again in a few months.  I will sit and watch the entire film with an open mind hoping for the best.