Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Top 10 Movies You Most Want to See

MissG,

I'd sell my brother on Ebay if it would help TCM get the rights to air *El Cid* .

It has been years since I last saw the film and the restoration is supposed to be very good.

*You can't think of any more, Miss T, because you've SEEN everything else there is!*

well thats a little exagerated. heehee! but thank you just the same. ;) i still say youre the expert!

*The only one I've seen is WOMAN'S WORLD. That's with Lauren Bacall, right?*

youve seen that one?! see i told you. heehee!

i really wanna see it, but thats one of the few that grandmama doesnt have and she also wants it badly. yeah it had betty bacall and junie allyson. i love them both and i hope its good......did you like it at all?

It's been so long since I saw WOMAN'S WORLD I don't remember much about it except that the women were all dressed gorgeously. :) I think it may have been released on vhs and that's how I saw it.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> MissG,

>

> I'd sell my brother on Ebay if it would help TCM get the rights to air *El Cid* .

>

> It has been years since I last saw the film and the restoration is supposed to be very good.

Hi Lynne! I have *El Cid* in my Netflix queue but it's way down at the end of the list. By the time I get to it they may air it on TCM!

Here are a few films I'd love to see:

*William Powell films I really want to see:*

The Senator Was Indiscreet (1948)

Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid (1948)

The Baroness and the Butler (1938)

*Barbara Stanwyck films I really want to see:*

The Moonlighter (1953)

Always Goodbye (1938)

The Great Man's Lady (1942)

*Ronald Colman films I really want to see:*

The Sporting Venus (1925) - I've seen a copy of it in someone's collection, so I know it exists.

*Kay Francis films I really want to see:*

The White Angel (1936)

Play Girl (1941)

Between Us Girls (1942)

Reached 10 already, and I only covered 4 of my favorite actors/actresses!

Hi, PK! -- I'm always fascinated by your obsessive-completist thinking. It's very intriguing to me. So do you have a top ten overall, or maybe a top five or three? I'm curious to know what unseen film or films would excite you the most.

Hi there, Beda!

Except for two Powell films (The Senator was Indiscreet and Mr Peabody and the Mermaid), I haven't seen ANY of those movies!

I would love to see Mr Peabody again, it's such a darling movie and one of Powell's best, later films.

*It's been so long since I saw WOMAN'S WORLD I don't remember much about it except that the women were all dressed gorgeously. I think it may have been released on vhs and that's how I saw it.*

i think it is on VHS, but i have seen it on Ebay only few times and people always bid on it.

thats one of the reasons i wanna see it, b/c my grandmama says shealso remembers the gorgeous dresses and it looks so cool! i wanna see those pretty dress so badly. heehee! thanks anyway dahlink!

I'll chime in and say that I love Woman's World and, as a big, bad, Betty Bacall fan I watch it fairly often on VHS. That said, the VHS is a really annoying pan and scan, which, being that it's a CinemaScope film, lops of large chunks of the frame.

It's the film that I most frequently request of TCM in order to see it full-frame, but as it's a 20th Century Fox release I don't really get my hopes up. TCM did show it ages ago when LB was star of the month so perhaps there's a glimmer of hope that they might show it again.

(Well, it's the film I request 2nd most often actually. Margie is my most-requested, but that's another thread.)

• 2 weeks later...

CHANDLER: "Re Tyrone in the Rains Came - don't be on anything you can fall off of when he takes the turban off and does that monologue in close-up. TO DIE FOR."

Thank you for that tip. I have the movie sitting here, just waiting for me to make some quality time to sit & enjoy it. Forewarned is forearmed. And damn, I can't wait!

YOU are diabolical! That does it. When I come home tonite from hanging out (it's supposed to be 75 today in NYC) I will put in that DVD. He's absolutely gorgeous. I saw him in "Son of Fury" and I tell ya...I tell you!

You won't be disappointed, CM, not only is Ty's uniquely enigmatic quality shown to its best advantage here, Myrna Loy has one of the meatiest roles of the 1930s, in which she gets to show an emotional arc from brittle socialite to a woman humbled by forces of nature (frighteningly applicable these days) and that other natural catastrophe, love. ;)

The special effects are also among the best of the era.

rainscame_00011.jpg

One thing a lot of people don't know - the special effects beat out Gone with the Wind and Wizard of Oz for an Oscar.

But the best special effect? TY. Also, the ending - the very last moments - are among my favorites in all of filmdom. Can't wait for your comments.

> {quote:title=chandler5710 wrote:}{quote}

> The Senator Was Indiscreet is one of my favorite Powell films. I think it's hilarious. My favorite part is when he gets locked out of the hotel in his pajamas.

Hi Chandler! I haven't seen TSWI in soooooooooo long. I wish TCM would show it because I don't even remember that scene you mention.

I'm sure they've done so---but they haven't, *William Powell* would be a good choice for future Star of the Month. Maybe then they could dust off TSWI and Mr Peabody & the Mermaid.

Just found this thread. Looks like fun. My, very obscure, top 10 are, including short subjects:

Reformatory

Military Academy - 1940

Portia on Trial

Headin' East

The Right Way - short

Katie Did It

Escape from Terror

Bring on the Girls

and the 6-8 Penrod and Sam shorts from the 1931-1932

Sorry, a little over 10.