Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

'The Conners' spin-off

'Roseanne' Minus Roseanne: ABC Picks Up 'The Conners'

.....It looked like the network was willing to take a financial hit and part with a successful property in the name of, of all things, principle.

Not so fast.

On Thursday, the network announced that it is picking up the tentatively titled show The Conners. It's a Roseanne-less Roseanne. It went straight to series — meaning it doesn't have to produce a pilot to prove it can work, as other shows would. Instead, it will simply slide into the fall schedule just like it was going to before, except without its star. "Roseanne Barr will have no financial or creative involvement in the new series," according to ABC's press release....

The bottom line is that Barr is likely to be worse off, certainly, than she would have been if the show had continued with her, but better off than if this new spinoff weren't happening at all.

Moreover, this development allows the network, the other actors and everyone else who stands to profit to avoid reckoning with the choice they originally made. They chose to align themselves with Barr and place their faith in her, despite the fact that nothing about her Jarrett tweet was unexpected, given her history. There is something to be said for expecting people who gamble with a situation like this to swallow their losses. It's not, after all, the responsibility of viewers (or critics) to insure networks or actors against the foreseeable consequences of their actions..

"But," you say, "you fool, you know that networks make decisions for financial reasons. That's the business!"

Yes. Exactly. That's the business — where every time you hear that a decision is being made on principle, you should wait for the asterisk.

And one more thing, which amounts to speculation informed by experience: If Barr doesn't have additional public issues, wait and see how long it takes for there to be rumors that they might bring Barr back to The Conners."

https://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2018/06/22/622512924/roseanne-minus-roseanne-abc-picks-up-the-conners?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180622

(whole idea was a F-Up........just let it DIE already)

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

'Roseanne' Minus Roseanne: ABC Picks Up 'The Conners'

.....It looked like the network was willing to take a financial hit and part with a successful property in the name of, of all things, principle.

Not so fast.

On Thursday, the network announced that it is picking up the tentatively titled show The Conners. It's a Roseanne-less Roseanne. It went straight to series — meaning it doesn't have to produce a pilot to prove it can work, as other shows would. Instead, it will simply slide into the fall schedule just like it was going to before, except without its star. "Roseanne Barr will have no financial or creative involvement in the new series," according to ABC's press release....

The bottom line is that Barr is likely to be worse off, certainly, than she would have been if the show had continued with her, but better off than if this new spinoff weren't happening at all.

Moreover, this development allows the network, the other actors and everyone else who stands to profit to avoid reckoning with the choice they originally made. They chose to align themselves with Barr and place their faith in her, despite the fact that nothing about her Jarrett tweet was unexpected, given her history. There is something to be said for expecting people who gamble with a situation like this to swallow their losses. It's not, after all, the responsibility of viewers (or critics) to insure networks or actors against the foreseeable consequences of their actions..

"But," you say, "you fool, you know that networks make decisions for financial reasons. That's the business!"

Yes. Exactly. That's the business — where every time you hear that a decision is being made on principle, you should wait for the asterisk.

And one more thing, which amounts to speculation informed by experience: If Barr doesn't have additional public issues, wait and see how long it takes for there to be rumors that they might bring Barr back to The Conners."

https://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2018/06/22/622512924/roseanne-minus-roseanne-abc-picks-up-the-conners?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180622

(whole idea was a F-Up........just let it DIE already)

:rolleyes:

Trying to make money is f-uped???     This entire post is so full of BS and nonsense it is hysterical.  

How will Barr benefit from this new show? I think that part is just jumping to conclusions. The original was a popular show and other actors worked on it too. They shouldn't have to be destitute because of Roseanne.

Didn't like the old show. John Goodman played a good Babe Ruth. Watched a couple of minutes of the new show by mistake. Have nothing pleasant to say about Rosanne. Last Man Standing is coming to Fox. Maybe I will watch. In my house, we watch very little commercial channels, just the awful news. A few minutes of commercial television and I can't change to TCM quick enough!!!

2 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Didn't like the old show. John Goodman played a good Babe Ruth. Watched a couple of minutes of the new show by mistake. Have nothing pleasant to say about Rosanne. Last Man Standing is coming to Fox. Maybe I will watch. In my house, we watch very little commercial channels, just the awful news. A few minutes of commercial television and I can't change to TCM quick enough!!!

Never watched the show more than several times--but I really like John Goodman.

He was a wonderful co-star character actor with Al Pacino in "Sea of Love". And I've seen him do some BBC stuff where he really plays rings around those Royal Academy British actors.

If John Goodman is starring in this,  I'll probably take a look at it.

• 2 months later...

‘The Conners’: John Goodman Says Roseanne Barr Character Will Be Killed Off: Report

John Goodman did not go into detail but confirmed to The Sunday Times that Roseanne Barr’s character will be killed off this fall in the upcoming The Conners spinoff on ABC.

When talking about the new iteration of the series and his character Dan, the drywall contractor and Roseanne’s husband in the original series and revival, told the publication, “It’s an unknown. I guess he’ll be mopey and sad because his wife’s dead.”...

https://deadline.com/2018/08/the-conners-john-goodman-says-roseanne-barr-character-will-be-killed-off-report-1202452990/

-----------------------------------------

Molly Jong-FastVerified account @MollyJongFast 24h24 hours ago

She gets murdered by democrats in the non existent basement of a pizza shop because she was secretly giving DNC emails to Wikileaks?

:lol:

• Haha 2