Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

D'ohh, how could I forget the many Ferris wheels in movies?  (Vintage Coney Island Wonder Wheels, not the constant London Eyes every time there's an 00's action-movie sequel, or those ones in Sony movies that break off and start rolling away, like in Goosebumps and Smurfs 2.)

On 6/30/2018 at 2:44 PM, CaveGirl said:

I only avoid movies set in Heaven, not in amusement parks.

So, no Timothy Hutton and Kelly McGillis in Made in Heaven (1987), then?  Suit yerself.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

I enjoy movies with amusement parks in which something lethal (or potentially lethal) occurs.

220px-EyeglassLensStrangers1951.gif

Strangers on a Train (in a quieter part of the park away from prying eyes)

53-27200-the-third-man-1435691709.png

The Third Man. Two old friends meet by a ferris wheel and take a ride together in an elevated car. Soon one of the friends will be contemplating pushing the other friend out of that car. These are the kind of reunions I'd like to skip.

Yeah Tom?!

Well, would you STILL skip a reunion IF say there were a chance of winning a real Swiss-made Cuckoo Clock in the deal???

(...ya know, sometimes those things can be worth a fortune depending upon how old they are and their provenance, doncha?!) ;)

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah Tom?!

Well, would you STILL skip a reunion IF say there were a chance of winning a real Swiss-made Cuckoo Clock in the deal???

(...ya know, sometimes those things can be worth a fortune depending upon how old they are and their provenance, doncha?!) ;)

Yeh but sometimes those cuckoo clocks can have real surprises

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

THE BALLOONATIC and THE HIGH SIGN are two BUSTER KEATON silents that take pace n amusement parks.  There's another, I can't conjure the title, but there's a hilarious scene of him trying to "share" a swimming pool's changing room with a much larger man.

Plus, if we're including CARNIVALS as amusement parks, and the mentioning of Ferris Wheels, then think back to last night's showing of EAST OF EDEN.  ;)

Sepiatone

Rye Playland is also the backdrop for Woody Allen's 2017 movie WONDER WHEEL. In 1985, Allen's PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO had a scene in the carousel building, with the stars sitting in the chariot, hiding out & talking. That location was Prospect Park in Brooklyn.

On 7/2/2018 at 10:40 AM, Sepiatone said:

THE BALLOONATIC and THE HIGH SIGN are two BUSTER KEATON silents that take pace n amusement parks.  There's another, I can't conjure the title, but there's a hilarious scene of him trying to "share" a swimming pool's changing room with a much larger man.

Plus, if we're including CARNIVALS as amusement parks, and the mentioning of Ferris Wheels, then think back to last night's showing of EAST OF EDEN.  ;)

Sepiatone

Isn't that the scene where Dean said to appear restless and out of kilter, he didn't use the restroom accommodations for quite a few hours? He did seem jumpy and that technique certainly worked effectively. Thanks, Sepia!

Well, I don't know about that "factoid", but it does bring to mind the tale of while making MARATHON MAN, Dustin Hoffman went a few days without sleeping and bathing in order to get the "right look" and "feel" his character was supposed to have during a particular segment, and OLIVIER, amused by it all, laughingly suggesting to Dustin:  "My dear boy...why not just try ACTING?"  ;)  Or words to that effect.

Sepiatone

On 6/30/2018 at 11:38 PM, Dargo said:

So CG, did you make this vow before or after you watched Jack Benny in The Horn Blows at Midnight? ;)

Hey, haven't talked to you for awhile, Dargo!

Nope, can't blame Jack Benny. It was from the nuns making us watch that Francis of Assissi film, when I made the vow.