Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

democracy, free speech, civility, protest?

Mon. 10-28,  President Trump Visits Chicago:

• Multiple events protesting Trump’s visit are scheduled throughout the day.

For two examples, Indivisible of Chicago is planning a protest event at Wabash Avenue and Wacker Drive

and the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights – in conjunction with other organizations – is planning a rally at Adams and Michigan Avenue. Both events are scheduled for late Monday morning.

Rallies are also scheduled outside Trump Tower.

:)

3 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Mon. 10-28,  President Trump Visits Chicago:

• Multiple events protesting Trump’s visit are scheduled throughout the day.

For two examples, Indivisible of Chicago is planning a protest event at Wabash Avenue and Wacker Drive

and the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights – in conjunction with other organizations – is planning a rally at Adams and Michigan Avenue. Both events are scheduled for late Monday morning.

Rallies are also scheduled outside Trump Tower.

WE’VE GOT YOUR BIG CROWD, TRUMP...

Dozens of political organizations and interest groups are urging their supporters to gather at 11:30 a.m. Monday at the intersection of Wacker and Wabash streets, which looks at Trump Tower from across the Chicago river. The protesters are expected to include immigration groups, gun control activists and women’s organizations.

"We will be out in full force to protest Trump’s gleeful bashing of our city, his ridiculing of the very real violence promoted by his pro-gun policies, and his attempts to thwart us and all Sanctuary Cities as we protect our immigrant neighbors," Marj Halperin of Indivisible Chicago told Playbook.

Striking teachers are also expected to be part of the protest, hundreds of whom participated Thursday in civil disobedience training....

At the police chiefs convention at McCormick Place, Trump will hold court over a friendly crowd. Last year, at the group’s gathering in Orlando, he criticized Chicago’s handling of crime.

It’s no wonder Chicago Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said he’ll boycott Monday’s speech.

He might consider wandering over to the Illinois Institute of Technology campus to watch crews preparing for the Obama Foundation Summit that starts Tuesday. Oh yeah, the Obamas are expected to be in town Monday, too....

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/illinois-playbook/2019/10/25/weve-got-your-big-crowd-trump-back-to-school-monday-eerie-similarity-to-2012-487517

Trump met with 'lock him up' chants during NYC Veterans Day Parade

The ceremony comes a week after a judge found Mr Trump broke the law in using money raised to help veterans to fund his 2016 presidential campaign

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-lock-him-up-veterans-day-parade-speech-boo-new-york-today-a9198691.html?utm_source=reddit.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

'To Protect Our Democracy,' Tuesday Night Rallies Planned In All 50 States to Demand Congress Votes to Impeach Trump

"Americans from California to West Virginia are ready to hold their representatives accountable and declare that no one—not even the president—is above the law."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/15/protect-our-democracy-tuesday-night-rallies-planned-all-50-states-demand-congress?fbclid=IwAR0ysGdZAum_FJCoay0TkXz8T1-aWTKi1IY77HxTrPJGJkDdYvIdbNR6jSg

:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Thousands gather for Women’s March rallies across the US

Nation Jan 18, 2020 4:11 PM EST

WASHINGTON — Thousands gathered in cities across the country Saturday as part of the nationwide Women’s March rallies focused on issues such as climate change, pay equity, reproductive rights and immigration.

Hundreds showed up in New York City and thousands in Washington, D.C. for the rallies, which aim to harness the political power of women, ...... Marches were scheduled Saturday in more than 180 cities........

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/thousands-gather-for-womens-march-rallies-across-the-us

13 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Thousands gather for Women’s March rallies across the US

Nation Jan 18, 2020 4:11 PM EST

WASHINGTON — Thousands gathered in cities across the country Saturday as part of the nationwide Women’s March rallies focused on issues such as climate change, pay equity, reproductive rights and immigration.

Hundreds showed up in New York City and thousands in Washington, D.C. for the rallies, which aim to harness the political power of women, ...... Marches were scheduled Saturday in more than 180 cities........

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/thousands-gather-for-womens-march-rallies-across-the-us

I'm surprise this group still is functioning based on all the issues they had and infighting (e.g.  3 of the 4 founders of the movement have resigned).

There is a march here in Los Angeles and the mayor, who is Jewish will be giving a speech.      I wonder how many will feel he is a turncoat.

The Times had a front page article on today's L.A. march.     It was balanced but I assume many Dems \ anti-Trumpers will view it as being too negative (since it covers FACTS like Emily's List no longer associating with the group and thus NOT participating in the march).

Related to civility and protesting below is a link to a CNN article about women that illegally occupied a home claiming they should have the right to stay there,  rent free,  for as long as they want since the home was vacant.    This is Oakland, CA.

City officials did nothing with one city council member supporting this take over of private property.      A judge finally ruled that they women had NO right to stay in the property (DUH),    and sheriff deputies removed them.     Sadly the sheriff's spokesperson said they might bill the owner for the removal!   (and a court would rule that illegal as well,).

I'm surprised MM didn't create a thread for this since he loves to bash CA.    BUT in this case he would be 100% correct.     This is much more than just hating the rich. 

This is about personal property rights,  the vary foundation of this nation.        Hey,  maybe I'm missing something but I'm very interested to see the POV of anyone at this forum that would defend the actions of these women,  as well as any CA pols that backed them.      

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/15/us/moms-4-housing-homeless-evicted-oakland-trnd/index.html

PS:  This is the type of question that should be asked at the Dem debates to determine how radical some of those Dems are or NOT.      

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Is that home vacant due to it being abandoned, owner passed away without a will or simply up for sale  (or will be)? Seems to be in very good shape. Abandon homes are a headache for communities.

Outside

a649e0dd-1892-49a1-9551-7eb5723a03be-med

Inside

gallery_medium.jpg

Unlike the UK, people here do NOT have  squatters rights.

https://www.gov.uk/squatting-law

And squatting is very common in France.

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Is that home vacant due to it being abandoned, owner passed away without a will or simply up for sale  (or will be)? Seems to be in very good shape. Abandon homes are a headache for communities.

Outside

Inside

Unlike the UK, people here do NOT have  squatters rights.

https://www.gov.uk/squatting-law

The home wasn't abandoned and is in good shape.   It was purchased by a development company and they are actively working to utilize the property.

I can sympathies with people being evicted from a property they were renting and then that property being left unused for too-long-of-a-period.   I.e. that type of '"squatting"  has some logic behind it.

But just moving in to a property and then refusing to leave when the owner wishes to use THEIR  property is something I hope the USA never allows.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The home wasn't abandoned and is in good shape.   It was purchased by a development company and they are actively working to utilize the property.

I can sympathies with people being evicted from a property they were renting and then that property being left unused for too-long-of-a-period.   I.e. that type of '"squatting"  has some logic behind it.

But just moving in to a property and then refusing to leave when the owner wishes to use THEIR  property is something I hope the USA never allows.    

There are too many fires caused by homeless people, had several within my area the past couple of months.  The fire department now will let abandon structures burn down then put the fire out.  One house has been set fire to 3 times.  :angry:

thumbnail.jpg

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

There are too many fires caused by homeless people, had several within my area the past couple of months.  The fire department now will let abandon structures burn down then put the fire out.  One house has been set fire to 3 times.  :angry:

I assume those are cheap properties;  E.g. net worth < 50K and \ or  demand for renting housing is "low" in that area  (and thus monthly rental fees are low as well).

That Oakland CA property sold for over 500K.        No sane person \ company would abandon a property worth that much and where the average monthly rent is over 3K for a 3 bedroom home.

Well the development company,  Wedgewood,  and the activist group, Moms 4 Housing,  made a deal where the group will purchase the property at a market value price.    In addition Wedgewood will "offer community land trusts or other affordable housing organizations or the city the right of first refusal on all of their properties".     The new owners will be low-income families or affordable housing operators that will keep the properties accessible for Oakland's most vulnerable residents,  according to the Oakland mayor.

Sounds like a win-win,   if the various activist groups can up with the money to make a down payment and get a home loan.  

The mayor still made some silly (at best) comments but hey this is the same mayor that tipped off illegal immigrant with felony criminal records that ICE was going to do a raid in the area.      

"I cannot condone unlawful acts, but I can respect them".        "It is not my intention to encourage civil disobedience but the mothers made a tremendous sacrifice,  went through a horrific trauma with the eviction,  which I believe was unnecessary on the part of the sheriff".      She is 100% misguided (at best) here since a Judge ruled the women had to leave.  Thus the sheriff was just doing their duty.      AND it was 100% necessary since Wedgewood clearly stated multiple times that they would not discuss or negotiate over the house until the mothers left of their own free will or were evicted.      I.e. they were going to be bullied \ extorted by these women to make a deal.  

Tae Phoenix #SwarmTheCapitol #StopTheCoverup

@TaePhoenix

·

8h

Republican Senators are letting fascists run their party and covering up their crimes. We must push back in the streets and at the ballot box.

We’re taking to the streets of DC on Wednesday 1/29.

Join us: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/take-action-to-remove-trump/

#StopTheCoverup #SwarmTheCapitol

-_-

• Haha 1
On 1/26/2020 at 11:54 AM, TalkTalk123 said:

https://sputniknews.com/uk/202001231078116774-assange-extradition-us-government-claims-foreign-journalists-arent-protected-by-first-amendment-/

Assange Extradition: US Government Claims Foreign Journalists Aren’t Protected by First Amendment

Wikileaks publisher Julian Assange faces up to 175 years in prison in the US on charges relating to his role in publishing classified documents which revealed alleged war crimes perpetrated by US forces in Iraq.

The US government is now claiming that foreign journalists don't get the benefit of the First Amendment of the US constitution, which guarantees freedom of speech and freedom of the press, in a bombshell revelation from WikiLeaks's editor-in-chief, Kristinn Hrafnsson.

Hrafnsson, a long-time Icelandic investigative journalist, revealed that he had seen written submissions from the US government, which they served on Julian Assange's defence lawyers, which form part of their arguments in support of the ongoing extradition case against the WikiLeaks publisher.

Standing outside of Westminster Magistrates' Court, following Assange's most recent Case Management Hearing (CMH) on 23 January 2020, Hrafnsson said the argument that the First Amendment only applies to US citizens is a "totally outrageous" position that exposes the "true nature" of the extradition case against Assange. The First Amendment states that, "Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

"This Should Erase All Doubt" That Assange's Prosecution is "An Attack" Against The Free Press

Hrafnsson explained that it is especially dangerous for the US to on the one hand claim that foreign journalists aren't guaranteed First Amendment protections while at the same time retaining the right to "hunt down journalist all over the world". The extra-territorial application of US laws is a threat to all journalists Hrafnsson argued, pointing out that Assange faces prosecution in the US despite the fact that neither he nor WikiLeaks have ever been based in the US.

"That should send a very clear message to all journalists about the importance of this case. And about the true nature of this case, the political nature of it. It's an attack on press freedom. If anybody was ever in any doubt about that this should erase all doubt", he said.
  • Like 1

This is an #ImpeachmentTrialSham! Angry Americans all across the country are taking to the streets TONIGHT to call out the #GOPCowards!

Find or host a protest near you: http://bytheppl.us/removetrump

DC — Capitol lawn, 5:30pm: https://facebook.com/events/66340

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited to correct image overflow

'Not an Exoneration—A Cover-Up':

Nationwide Protests Planned to Denounce GOP Acquittal of Trump

"We the people do not accept this disgraceful attempt to cover up Donald Trump's abuse of the powers of the presidency and we will make our voices heard in protests Wednesday and on Election Day.".......

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/02/03/not-exoneration-cover-nationwide-protests-planned-denounce-gop-acquittal-trump

:huh: