Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

democracy, free speech, civility, protest?

2 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

LIVE: #RejectTheCoverup mobilization from the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. #TrumpIsNotAboveTheLa

I don't disagree with protesting the results of Trump's trial, BUT the energy and money would be better spent on moving on and supporting Democrats running against Republicans at every level of government in every state.  

Anti-Trump protester in MAGA community unloads on neighbors: ‘What’s wrong with these people?’

On Saturday, the Washington Post profiled Ed McGinty, the Florida retiree in The Villages who went viral last week for setting up with a golf cart covered in signs labeling President Donald Trump a “racist,” a “filthy pig,” and a “sexual predator.”

“Raised Irish Catholic in Philadelphia, the 71-year-old retired real estate broker has always been a Democrat, just like his parents before him,” wrote Brittany Shammas. “But the last time he remembers being especially politically motivated was when Hubert Humphrey ran against Richard Nixon in 1968. After that, he’d wake up the morning after Election Day, find out George W. Bush or another Republican had won and say, ‘Okay, well, back to work.'”

The election of Trump was the first time since the 60s that woke a political fire in McGinty. “When Trump won, it changed the whole ballgame for me. I thought to myself, ‘This was supposed to be a joke..........

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/anti-trump-protester-in-maga-community-unloads-on-neighbors-whats-wrong-with-these-people/

'There need to be mass protests': Authoritarianism experts say time is running out for Americans to stop Trump

"..........The president has attacked virtually every democratic institution in the US when he's felt its actions were unfavorable to his agenda or public appearance. Meanwhile, he pushed traditional US allies away while openly embracing many of the world's most repressive leaders.

These trends have raised concern among top experts on authoritarianism, fascism, and democracy, but they've often said that the robust political system in the US, with its checks and balances and constitutional norms, has prevented Trump from becoming a full-blown authoritarian and doing whatever he wants.

............there should have been mass protests in the streets after the vote against witnesses, warning that the absence of significant public outcry served as "a further sign to the party in power that they can go ahead and do what they want.".....

described Barr as a "dangerous, authoritarian enabler," adding that Trump and those in his administration were not the only issues when it comes to an anti-democratic slide in the US.

"It's almost all of the Republican Party," Stanley said. "Mitch McConnell already showed that he has no loyalty to the rule of law........

"I don't know what would happen in the absence of mass protests," Stanley said. "I'm not at all sanguine about the fairness of the upcoming elections."

He added: "As they've shown, they'll do whatever they can to hold on to power."

https://www.businessinsider.com/authoritarianism-experts-say-time-running-out-americans-to-stop-trump-2020-2

-_-

Judge Voids UNC's Controversial Settlement Over Confederate Statue 'Silent Sam'

A NC judge has voided the agreement between UNC and the SCV that would have given the statue

to the group along with $2.5 million for upkeep. Silent Sammy hit the dirt involuntarily when a

group of protesters forcefully took him down in 2018. The University put him in storage while they

tried to figure out what to do with the poor guy. The UNC-SCV agreement was done while no one

was looking in 2019. The judge ruled that the Sons of Confederate Veterans did not have legal standing

to be in the lawsuit. This will probably take some time to figure out. People didn't mind getting

rid of Sam, they just didn't like the idea of giving the SCV the $2.5 million.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/12/805250903/judge-voids-uncs-controversial-settlement-over-confederate-statue-silent-sam

The judge who voided the Silent Sammy agreement and found that the SCV had no legal standing in the

matter has given the SCV 45 days to return the statue and the remaining balance of the $2.5 million

upkeep fund. Can the SCV spend $2.5 million in 45 days? I wouldn't bet against them.

• Haha 1

See Mia

@SeeMiaRoll

·

1h

Joining in solidarity with

@WorkingFamilies for the #PeoplesBailout. We need a bailout that focuses on the most at-risk ppl, including disabled people & those with chronic illnesses. (Hope next time the rally will have an ASL interpreter & CART).

------------------------------------------------------------

#PeoplesBailout National Nurses Union NNU Jean Ross- -We know this virus knows no borders -The most vulnerable: -Seniors -Homeless -Undocumented Immigrants -Incarcerated -Health Care Workers: "We have been abandoned" and hospitals are overwhelmed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

EUSpnjDXgAAsPp9?format=jpg&name=900x900

Somebody did some extremely basic WHOIS searching and found that

the person who set up all the "reopen $STATENAME" protest web sites is in fact one guy in Jacksonville.

So, most of what's going on here is an organized astroturfing campaign.

even the "group rules from the admins" of the PA and MN groups are word-for-word the same,

including this rule against advocating for "explicit violence"

(with the wink-wink of "we're for violence if we don't meet our goals,
but we can't say so on Facebook or we'll get banned")
EV6ySaaXsAAfn-1?format=png&name=small

FYI: Astroturfing is the practice of masking the sponsors of a message or organization

(e.g., political, advertising, religious or public relations)

to make it appear as though it originates from and

is supported by grassroots participants.

<_<
  • Thanks 1

Spirit of 2020

zuuqHK2.jpg

All I know is these mfers better stay 6 feet  away from me and my family.

Hoodlum

@HoodlumRIP

·

Apr 20

Stop calling them Protestors

. Protestors don’t carry AK-47s, wave confederate and Nazi flags,

block hospital entrances and scream at medical professionals

shouting “To go back to China”.

They’re terrorists.

<_<

• Like 1

She's the ICU nurse who silently stood in protest at the Phoenix rally to reopen Arizona

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2020/04/21/icu-nurse-who-stood-masked-and-silent-rally-open-arizona/3001723001/

=====================================

“Leander said she heard a stream of insults from rallygoers.

People accused her of being an actor.

Or, if a real nurse, one who performed dentistry. Or performed abortions.”

:(

Thousands gather without social distancing to protest Wisconsin's stay-at-home order (4-24)

Photos of the massive demonstration show protesters packed on the capitol's steps, breaking social distancing guidelines as they crammed into the area standing shoulder to shoulder. 

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that protesters cheered "USA" and circulated petitions to recall Evers. Protesters also reportedly held signs reading "All Workers, Are Essential" and "Death.... is preferable to communism."

Some also carried American flags and assault-style rifles.......

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/494593-thousands-gather-without-social-distancing-to-protest-wisconsins-stay-at

:(

EWZs04YXkAEgxaP?format=jpg&name=900x900

Birx says protesters not practicing social distancing are 'devastatingly worrisome'

Meanwhile, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said some protesters
"depicted some of the worst racism and awful parts of our history in this country."

......."It's devastatingly worrisome to me personally because if they go home and infect their grandmother or their grandfather who has a comorbid condition and they have a serious or a very ... unfortunate outcome, they will feel guilty for the rest of [their] lives," Birx said. ...........

"We know that people are not all happy about taking this stay at home posture," Whitmer told CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday. "And you know what, I'm not either. But the fact of the matter is, we have to listen to the epidemiologists and health experts and displays like the one we saw at our capitol is not representative of who we are."

"There were swastikas and Confederate flags and nooses and people with assault rifles, and that's a very small group of people when you think about the fact this is a state of almost 10 million people, the vast majority of whom are doing the right thing and that's why we've seen our curve get pushed down," she continued.........

"The Confederate flags and nooses, the swastikas, the behavior that you have seen in all of the clips is not representative of who we are in Michigan," (Whitmer) said. "And the fact of the matter is, I mean, we're in a global pandemic. This isn't something we just negotiate ourselves out of and it's a political matter."

"Whether you agree with me or not, I'm working to protect your life if you live in the state of Michigan," she added. "I'm going to continue to do my job, regardless of what tweets come out or what polls come out or what people think that is — makes sense. We're going to listen to facts and science, because we have got to get this right." ...........

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/birx-says-protesters-not-practicing-social-distancing-are-devastatingly-worrisome-n1198991