Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

democracy, free speech, civility, protest?

I think the last thing this country needs, at ANY time, is a president who not only enables but also encourages domestic terrorists.  And that's just what the "protesters" are.  ANY individuals, or group of people who use intimidation to attempt to achieve their goals are no different or better than ISIS, the Taliban or Al-Qaeda.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 2

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2020/05/in-quest-of-the-may-day-strikes.html

In Quest of the May Day Strikes

Posted on May 5, 2020 by Lambert Strether

By Lambert Strether of Corrente

Sometimes when frustrated, I recall the famous New Yorker article by an author who thought he had a story about a bird in the woods, said to be extinct. But maybe not! So he found the local who thought they’d heard the bird’s distinctive, booming call, bought some yellow waders, hired guides and a boat, and set out through the swamps and the Spanish moss and the dripping and the stinging insects in search of the bird. Long-form story short, they never found the bird. So what’s the point of a story where you don’t find the bird?

I had intended to do a round-up of the much ballyhooed May Day strikes. (Here is a history of May Day in the Haymarket strikes in Chicago, 1886.) Unfortunately, to do a round-up, there has to be coverage to rounded up. In this case, the coverage of what was going to happen was much greater than the coverage of what did happen. I didn’t find the bird.. So let me at once appeal to readers: If you witnessed a May Day strike — workplace strike or rent strike — please describe in comments. Note that I’m not saying that nothing happened. What I am saying is that what did happen doesn’t seem commensurate with the degree to which the working class is being openly and nakedly abused[1]. There was nothing like the oft-called-for general strike. Maybe later!

Now let me aggregate what I have. First, I tried various left journals. Then I did Google searches on “May Day” + “strike,” and then “May Day” + “Amazon” and/or “Instacart,” since those were the firms most mentioned in the pre-May Day coverage. The results are pretty meagre, but this is what I have. Of course, newsrooms have been gutted (yet again) during the pandemic, there hasn’t been a labor beat for some time, and anyhow, it’s easier and more comfortable to quote politicians praising “essential workers” (and by implication disrespecting all other workers)[2] than to grant workers agency and go ask them what they’re doing. So I’m not saying the bird isn’t out there. Just that I didn’t find it.

• Confused 1

I think people were too preoccupied or "furloughed" too long to be concerned about something that never really occurs in this country.  "May Day" here in the U.S. has long just been the first day of the month of May.  And actually, the BIG day in May here is MAY 5th!  CINCO de MAYO!  ;)   Or, as some sardonic Americans(like me) call it.......

MARGARITA DAY!  :P

Sepiatone

Even though we may NOT AGREE with their opinions on reopening too early, the protest is still FREE SPEECH.

Protesting isn't for the left wing / progressives ONLY!

042220-protest-07%20(1).jpg?itok=wtOLd2p

Just a reminder.

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Even though we may NOT AGREE with their opinions on reopening too early, the protest is still FREE SPEECH.

Just a reminder.

True,   but use of violence which does occur in many right-wing protest (and yes,  progressive ones as well),  is NOT protected free-speech.

Just a reminder (and one you should be telling to your fellow Trump loving buddies).

7 hours ago, hamradio said:

Just a reminder.

The ones I've seen have been carrying all kinds of automatic weapons and guns. I saw a group last week carrying a bunch of those into the Michigan State House.

The real issue here is --

Why do right-wing people feel that they have to carry guns and threaten others all the time with their rhetoric?

The Michigan Governor even said she saw Confederate flags and nooses from these right-wing protesters.

Rev Martin Luther King jr. Never carried a gun. The Civil Rights Movement was non-violent.

So the issue is why right-wing protesters are so inclined to violence and hatred?

They did the same thing in Virginia too at the Statehouse.

Just a reminder.

Just a reminder of how hateful and dangerous these so-called protests are. They look more like terrorists to me.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:30 PM, mr6666 said:

:(

On 5/3/2020 at 5:34 PM, jakeem said:

CyLn5GVQ_bigger.png

Dr. Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, says that anti-lockdown protests are "devastatingly worrisome" because demonstrators who do not practice social distancing measures could contract the illness and pass it on to others back home.

6:31 PM · May 3, 2020·SocialFlow

Governor Whitmer said:

(Some protesters) "depicted some of the worst racism and awful parts of our history in this country. "

Yes everyone has freedom of speech.

But the right and the left use it differently.

• Thanks 1

*Just a reminder.

* Just another reminder--

" Confederate flags and swastikas "

On 5/5/2020 at 5:42 PM, jakeem said:

1np2ube6_bigger.png

Michigan Gov. Whitmer says that protesters who demonstrated at the state Capitol building last week “carried nooses and Confederate flags and swastikas.”

6:55 PM · May 5, 2020·SocialFlow

On 5/4/2020 at 12:04 PM, Sepiatone said:

I think the last thing this country needs, at ANY time, is a president who not only enables but also encourages domestic terrorists.  And that's just what the "protesters" are.  ANY individuals, or group of people who use intimidation to attempt to achieve their goals are no different or better than ISIS, the Taliban or Al-Qaeda.

Sepiatone

Well said.

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

* Just another reminder--

" Confederate flags and swastikas "

But they are good people too! 

(well according to bozo the clown,  our President).

• Haha 1

Stay-at-home protesters in Washington post information on those who complained to state about open businesses

........Two Facebook pages during the past week posted names, emails and phone numbers of Washington residents who submitted complaints against businesses for allegedly violating Washington Gov. Jay Inslee’s (D) stay-at-home order. 

The Washington Three Percenters and Reopen Washington State, which have backed the protests against the order, released lists on their Facebook pages, leading to the named individuals receiving threats. ..............

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/497033-stay-at-home-protesters-in-washington-post-information-on-those-who

<_<

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody needed to hand that guy some KLEENEX.  And he misses the point...

While I too agree with his statement that ALL lives matters, the "Black lives matter" movement was in response to the fact that BLACK lives, not white, were seemingly being routinely taken by law enforcement, claiming(and without any eye witness or video support) their lives were in danger(by unarmed black teenagers walking in the opposite direction, etc.)  and in cases where the only infractions were misdemeanors. Or, as in a recent event, just jogging down the street.

Sepiatone

On 5/6/2020 at 4:24 PM, Vautrin said:

59822-004-274301BF.jpg

Happy Birthday. :)

I had this poster in my room in college.  

That must have been a real conversation starter. Looks like Karl is wearing his Sunday best.

Even with Engels' financial support he often lived in precarious economic circumstances.

One thing is clear tonight. There is a tremendous amount of anger and pain over the death of #GeorgeFloyd

Several folks I talked to said they didn’t care whether people agreed with their methods (i.e. looting, destruction of property).

“We have to get their attention somehow.”

:unsure:

Seth Abramson (@)

@SethAbramson

If the executive order Trump plans to sign tomorrow is what the Washington Post reports—an effort to increase the odds Twitter will be sued for Terms of Service-violative content it leaves up... .

..doesn't that give Twitter even more justification to ban Trump from the platform?..........

Twitter already *massively* polices content, whether to avoid lawsuits or simply uphold some aspect of the Twitter environment it feels is encoded in its ToS hardly matters.

But it makes one *huge* exception: Trump. Isn't Trump giving Twitter every reason to *stop* exempting him?..............

What it comes down to is what I said earlier today: Trump is getting *better* treatment from Twitter than anyone in America

—and it's only his derangement that causes him to think he's being treated unfairly.

Twitter should show him what *being treated like everyone else* is like.

see:  https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1265867864596254726

;)   :) 

31 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Seth Abramson (@)

@SethAbramson

If the executive order Trump plans to sign tomorrow is what the Washington Post reports—an effort to increase the odds Twitter will be sued for Terms of Service-violative content it leaves up... .

..doesn't that give Twitter even more justification to ban Trump from the platform?..........

Twitter already *massively* polices content, whether to avoid lawsuits or simply uphold some aspect of the Twitter environment it feels is encoded in its ToS hardly matters.

But it makes one *huge* exception: Trump. Isn't Trump giving Twitter every reason to *stop* exempting him?..............

What it comes down to is what I said earlier today: Trump is getting *better* treatment from Twitter than anyone in America

—and it's only his derangement that causes him to think he's being treated unfairly.

Twitter should show him what *being treated like everyone else* is like.

see:  https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1265867864596254726

;)   :) 

Seth Abramson is one if the dumbest folks on the planet or he just likes to act like he is;   Trump has 80 million followers on Twitter.    They are a for-profit company.    Connect the dots you DA.

On 5/27/2020 at 2:08 AM, mr6666 said:

What's so upsetting is there are violent demonstration against other police departments whom has nothing to do with this incident.  Can't blame all law enforcement for a very few bad apples.  :(

There are good officers that don't behave the way the one with his knee on the neck of George Floyd.  Some of the rioters really don't care just taking advantage of the demonstrations to loot and destroy.  :angry: