Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

democracy, free speech, civility, protest?

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

What's so upsetting is there are violent demonstration against other police departments whom has nothing to do with this incident.  Can't blame all law enforcement for a very few bad apples.  :(

There are good officers that don't behave the way the one with his knee on the neck of George Floyd.  Some of the rioters really don't care just taking advantage of the demonstrations to loot and destroy.  :angry:

Getting away with murder is more serious than any crime against property.

• Confused 1
8 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Who said the officer is getting away with murder, the case is being investigated, charges may be filed. Rioting is no substitute for law and order.

8 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

So you're against due-process?    

Black Americans should understand more than anyone else about what happens when a community decides to ignore due-process.

Protesters set fire to Minneapolis police precinct as Trump attacks uprising on Twitter

"...........Protests have also spread to other U.S. cities. In New York City, protesters defied New York’s coronavirus prohibition on public gatherings Thursday, clashing with police, while demonstrators blocked traffic in downtown Denver. A day earlier, demonstrators had taken to the streets in Los Angeles and Memphis.

In Louisville, Kentucky, police confirmed that at least seven people had been shot Thursday night as protesters demanded justice for Breonna Taylor, a black woman who was fatally shot by police in her home in March.

Amid the violence in Minneapolis, a man was found fatally shot Wednesday night near a pawn shop, possibly by the owner, authorities said.

Fire crews responded to about 30 intentionally set blazes, and multiple fire trucks were damaged by rocks and other projectiles, the fire department said. No one was hurt by the blazes........

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/protestors-set-fire-to-minneapolis-police-precinct-as-trump-attacks-uprising-on-twitter

On 8/2/2019 at 3:01 PM, LawrenceA said:

QAnon Says FBI Labeling Them a Terror Threat Just Proves There’s a Deep-State Conspiracy Against Them

On paper, Thursday was a bad day for followers of the far-right conspiracy theory QAnon. A newly revealed FBI report warned that the theory’s followers presented a heightened risk for terrorism. Multiple popular predictions by QAnon followers also failed to materialize.

But for hardcore Q followers, the rough week won’t shake their faith.

The FBI memo, which was published in late May and first reported by Yahoo News, warned of the theory’s likelihood to “spread and evolve in the modern information marketplace.” So far, the warning has proven true. Despite a series of violent QAnon-inspired incidents and failed Q prophecies, movement followers still say they see nothing wrong with it, and even suggest that the FBI report is part of a conspiracy against them.

The memo names QAnon supporters, alongside followers of other fringe political conspiracy theories like Pizzagate, as being likely to carry out extremist acts in the name of their beliefs.

“One key assumption driving these assessments is that certain conspiracy theory narratives tacitly support or legitimize violent action,” the memo reads. “The FBI also assumes, but not all individuals or domestic extremists who hold such beliefs will act on them. The FBI assess these conspiracy theories very likely will emerge, spread, and evolve in the modern information marketplace, occasionally driving both groups and individual extremists to carry out criminal or violent acts.”

QAnon followers believe President Trump’s opponents are involved in a vast conspiracy of Satanic child sex-trafficking and cannibalism, and that Q, an anonymous poster on the forum 8chan, is actually a high-level military operative feeding them information on mass arrests that are totally coming this time around. The movement has been suspending its disbelief for nearly two years of unfulfilled promises of purges and revolutions.

They saved plenty of skepticism for the very real FBI memo. Maybe the FBI report was fake, a prominent Q peddler suggested on Twitter. (When asked about the memo, the FBI told Yahoo it “routinely shares information with our law enforcement partners.”)

Other Q followers on Twitter accused FBI Director Christopher Wray of acting against Trump, and suggested that he needed to be fired. A third set suggested the memo was actually good. This crowd claimed the memo was an elaborate ruse to trick the media into asking Trump about QAnon. (For reasons not entirely clear, many QAnon supporters believe that Trump supports QAnon but won’t speak openly about it unless asked by a reporter.)

But QAnon followers have stuck with their conspiracy theory through other rough patches. The theory’s followers have gone on to commit violence, including a follower who led an armed standoff at the Hoover Dam last summer, inspired by his frustration that one of Q’s clues never materialized. Months later, a vlogger who made QAnon videos was arrested for allegedly threatening a massacre at YouTube, which he believed was censoring him. In January, a Q believer allegedly murdered his brother with a swordover a conspiratorial idea. Leaders of multiple heavily armed groups on the southern border were led by QAnon believers, who were later arrested for various counts of trespassing and weapons violations. A man accused of murdering a New York mob boss scribbled a Q on his hand in court and claimed to have been motivated by his belief in the conspiracy theory.

Despite those incidents, major figures in Trump World have still flirted with the conspiracy theory. “Now do #ANTIFA,” Donald Trump Jr. tweeted after the FBI memo was revealed, in reference to the anti-fascist movement. (In fact, federal agencies have already released memos about anti-fascists, some of them based on right-wing hoaxes, The Daily Beast previously reported. Figures on the right are currently trying to have the FBI classify the anti-fascist movement as a domestic terror group, something it cannot do because anti-fascism is not a group, and the FBI makes no such domestic classifications. The same holds true for QAnon believers.)

At Trump’s rally in Cincinnati hours after the memo was revealed, warm-up speaker Brandon Straka invoked one of the movement’s slogans. The crowd around him was full of Q shirts and signs.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/qanon-says-fbi-labeling-them-174828483.html

Perhaps Trump should incorporate this part in his next address the nation speech:

President Trump’s opponents are involved in a vast conspiracy of Satanic child sex-trafficking and cannibalism,

One of the sad results of this awful affair in Minneapolis is that it may assure Trump's reelection.  He doesn't have to say anything or do anything to enflame the situation. Many people who were horrified at the death of Mr. Floyd, and who understand the anger and frustration, will not accept that violent protest and destruction is the answer. That generally enhances the sense of tribalism, which always accrues to the benefit of the Republicans.

I hope I'm wrong.

• Thanks 1

CNN: Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms on Friday evening denounced vandalism in her city as "chaos" after demonstrations over the death of  George Floyd while in in the custody of Minneapolis police turned violent. 

"What I see happening on the streets of Atlanta is not Atlanta. This is not a protest. This is not in the spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr. This is chaos," an impassioned Lance Bottoms said at a news conference. "A protest has purpose. When Dr. King was assassinated, we didn't do this to our city," she said. "If you want change in America, go and register to vote. ... That is the change we need in this country."
1 hour ago, Swithin said:

One of the sad results of this awful affair in Minneapolis is that it may assure Trump's reelection.  He doesn't have to say anything or do anything to enflame the situation. Many people who were horrified at the death of Mr. Floyd, and who understand the anger and frustration, will not accept that violent protest and destruction is the answer. That generally enhances the sense of tribalism, which always accrues to the benefit of the Republicans.

I hope I'm wrong.

I agree.  The reaction to rioting helped elect Richard Nixon as president.

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

CNN: Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms on Friday evening denounced vandalism in her city as "chaos" after demonstrations over the death of  George Floyd while in in the custody of Minneapolis police turned violent. 

"What I see happening on the streets of Atlanta is not Atlanta. This is not a protest. This is not in the spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr. This is chaos," an impassioned Lance Bottoms said at a news conference. "A protest has purpose. When Dr. King was assassinated, we didn't do this to our city," she said. "If you want change in America, go and register to vote. ... That is the change we need in this country."

But there had been riots in Atlanta in '66 and '67.    One contributing factor to no riots in Atlanta was that MLK's funeral and burial took place in Atlanta.

4 hours ago, TheCid said:

But there had been riots in Atlanta in '66 and '67.    One contributing factor to no riots in Atlanta was that MLK's funeral and burial took place in Atlanta.

I really don't understand what point you're making here.    No clue at all.

I do see where Brown says "This is not in the spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr.";       To me 'spirit' is the key word here.    

I.e. she wasn't implying that there were NO riots associated with King and his movement. 

Remarkable info coming out of this presser: Gov. Tim Walls, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter and now MN attorney general Keith Ellison ALL alleging outside forces, domestic and possibly foreign, have post-Tuesday infiltrated the state, and are

in organized fashion setting fire to historic businesses in communities of color, and causing mayhem. Ellison cited the widely circulating video of a white man in a gas mask holding an umbrella who was caught by protestors on video breaking windows.

.............Mayor Carter said EVERY person arrested last night during the protests was from out of state. The governor said it is at least 80 percent, and that they will begin releasing the names. Dept of Safety Commissioner John Harrington says they are contract-tracing arrestees:

He adds that white nationalist groups are posting messages promoting going to Minneapolis to “get our loot on” and cause mayhem. He says they will investigate those using the outrage over the murder of George Floyd as a “cover” for illegal activity.............

Mayor Carter says they saw mayhem starters throw incendiary devices and then run behind legit protesters and “use them as a human shield.” He says being out after curfew allows yourself to be used...........

see:  https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/1266741059163389952
Replying to
I can’t confirm this man’s identity by name, or if he actually returned to the police station, but he is certainly white.

Inciting violence and property destruction has been a tactic used by racist groups for decades.
They’re using the same old playbook.........

:huh:

So now, the attorney general, Bill Barr, is attempting to pin the anarchy and infiltration,
which is already documented as coming from white nationalist groups,
on "left leaning" ANTIFA groups.

The goal is to force the media to repeat that.

What is his proof?
==================================================

The Attorney General failed to acknowledge the white nationalists involved in the protests,

as warned by every Minnesota official who has spoken today.
On 5/29/2020 at 10:21 AM, hamradio said:

Who said the officer is getting away with murder, the case is being investigated, charges may be filed. Rioting is no substitute for law and order.

I'm sure that's what King George III of England said when he heard about the Boston Tea Party.

On 5/30/2020 at 3:21 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I really don't understand what point you're making here.    No clue at all.

I do see where Brown says "This is not in the spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr.";       To me 'spirit' is the key word here.    

I.e. she wasn't implying that there were NO riots associated with King and his movement. 

While she is correct there were no riots in Atlanta when MLK was shot, there were riots in Atlanta before that.  So Atlanta (MLK's home) was not the "peaceful" city she implies.  Also, I suggest that because MLK's funeral was held in Atlanta, those who might have rioted decided not to.

I guess my interpretation was that she was trying to imply that things such as this did not happen in Atlanta before.  

4 minutes ago, TheCid said:

While she is correct there were no riots in Atlanta when MLK was shot, there were riots in Atlanta before that.  So Atlanta (MLK's home) was not the "peaceful" city she implies.  Also, I suggest that because MLK's funeral was held in Atlanta, those who might have rioted decided not to.

To me you're seeing what you want to see and NOT what the Mayor of Atlanta implied.    To me saying a city is 'peaceful' doesn't mean that there was never riots or other non-peaceful demonstrations.     Instead I look at the comment in context;    e.g.   historically more peaceful that other major cities with large African-American populations like L.A. and Chicago. 

I.e. most of the time protests in Atlanta are in the spirit of MLK while in those other cities,,,,   not so much of that spirit.

What surprised me was her having the guts to be critical of those within her community.    

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1