Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

democracy, free speech, civility, protest?

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

To me you're seeing what you want to see and NOT what the Mayor of Atlanta implied.    To me saying a city is 'peaceful' doesn't mean that there was never riots or other non-peaceful demonstrations.     Instead I look at the comment in context;    e.g.   historically more peaceful that other major cities with large African-American populations like L.A. and Chicago. 

I.e. most of the time protests in Atlanta are in the spirit of MLK while in those other cities,,,,   not so much of that spirit.

What surprised me was her having the guts to be critical of those within her community.    

The first riots that I remember hearing about were in Watts--a black neighborhood in LA that had been victimized by the police for a long time. I believe this was in 1965.

That is where LA first got that nationally bad reputation.

No Atlanta does not have the same reputation, but of course like every major city, they've had problems.

That's what forever has given Los Angeles that reputation.

I can remember the story very well on Huntley and Brinkley.

Seems like Martin Luther King went out to Watts and the local leaders there told him that he didn't understand what was going on and he needed to go back to Atlanta.

As I can recall, it was a bit humiliating for him.

On 5/30/2020 at 9:22 AM, TheCid said:

I agree.  The reaction to rioting helped elect Richard Nixon as president.

Bobby Kennedy being assassinated helped Richard Nixon to be elected.

An all out police riot at the Chicago convention jn 1968, which was directed by a Democratic mayor who was close to the Democratic nominee, helped Nixon to be re-elected.

And those riots took place because Martin Luther King was assassinated by a white man, as I should remind you.

A lot of events took place to get us to where we were that Nixon's Law and Order was a political asset. But it's a little more complicated than you stated anyway.

I also know that Humphrey's association with Johnson, as his vice president, and the violent public outcry against  the direction  and management of the Vietnam War also helped Nixon to get elected.

51 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

The first riots that I remember hearing about were in Watts--a black neighborhood in LA that had been victimized by the police for a long time. I believe this was in 1965.

That is where LA first got that nationally bad reputation.

No Atlanta does not have the same reputation, but of course like every major city, they've had problems.

That's what forever has given Los Angeles that reputation.

I can remember the story very well on Huntley and Brinkley.

Seems like Martin Luther King went out to Watts and the local leaders there told him that he didn't understand what was going on and he needed to go back to Atlanta.

As I can recall, it was a bit humiliating for him.

The Watts riots impacted my childhood and really impacted my mother;    2 years after the Watts riots my father moved the family from Gardena,  an area with a robust Japanese American community as well as other people-of-color,   south to Orange County,   an area where at the time was 99% white.    My mom was never the same and since my dad still worked in downtown L.A.  and would often stay in town overnight to avoid the long drive home,   neither was their marriage.         I lost my first set of friends.    I was exposed to racism being one of the only Asian families in our housing track.     Learned a lot there!

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The Watts riots impacted my childhood and really impacted my mother;    2 years after the Watts riots my father moved the family from Gardena,  an area with a robust Japanese American community as well as other people-of-color,   south to Orange County,   an area where at the time was 99% white.    My mom was never the same and since my dad still worked in downtown L.A.  and would often stay in town overnight to avoid the long drive home,   neither was their marriage.         I lost my first set of friends.    I was exposed to racism being one of the only Asian families in our housing track.     Learned a lot there!

Well, James it was interesting hearing a personal perspective on something historical, that I had only read about.

NYPD’S Terrorism Chief Says Unnamed Groups Planned Protest Violence in Advance

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nypds-terrorism-chief-says-unnamed-groups-planned-protest-violence-in-advance/2440722/

'There are anarchists': Minnesota officials say 'outside agitators' are hijacking peaceful protests

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/30/george-floyd-protests-riots-violent-outside-agitators-minnesota/5291658002/

N3KAUSZZCNEPRHP3JVGGG47JX4.jpg

1 minute ago, hamradio said:

NYPD’S Terrorism Chief Says Unnamed Groups Planned Protest Violence in Advance

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nypds-terrorism-chief-says-unnamed-groups-planned-protest-violence-in-advance/2440722/

'There are anarchists': Minnesota officials say 'outside agitators' are hijacking peaceful protests

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/30/george-floyd-protests-riots-violent-outside-agitators-minnesota/5291658002/

N3KAUSZZCNEPRHP3JVGGG47JX4.jpg

Are some of these violent protesters good people like trump said about the neo-nazi, ku klux klan, anti-Semitic and white supremacist participants in the

Charlottesville

unite the right riots?

Outside agitators. Sounds like something Bull Connor might have said. I

wouldn't  take for granted  what the cops and pols are saying until things

get sorted out.

Watching live feed from Van Nuys, California on Fox 11 Los Angeles (lost NBC / CBS / ABC New York and Los Angeles :().

Looters tried to loot a store, the owners held them off with guns well as a few of the community citizens.

This is why we need the right to bear arms!!

Police did mistakenly handcuff a couple due to the confusion, after the FOX reporter told them they weren't involved were released. (video doesn't run long enough to show that)

FOX is still interviewing the lady in blue thanking her for intervening against the looters.

DON"T MAKE A BIG DEAL OVER THE MISTAKE!!!

Actually, if I was a cop, the LAST thing I'd do to show respect for George Floyd would be to go down on ONE KNEE.   Considering it was because a cop DID go down on one knee that started all this.  I'd either just squat or stand with my right arm raised while wearing a BLACK GLOVE.

Sepiatone

Yeah, I thought that was unfortunate symbolism also. And while I certainly do not support rioting, if the police had more accountability and less authoritarian control there would be far less reason for them to get angry. It may seem like a "few bad apples" but this certainly isn't the first case of someone being killed for a non-violent offense by the cops.

Illinois man charged with handing out explosives to Minneapolis rioters-

"An Illinois man faces several federal charges after he allegedly handed out explosive devices to rioters in Minneapolis demonstrating against the killing of George Floyd.

Officials charged Matthew Lee Rupert, 28, with civil disorder, carrying on a riot and possession of unregistered destructive devices after he allegedly handed out the explosives last week and encouraged people to throw them at law enforcement.

In videos that were allegedly posted to his Facebook account on Friday,

Rupert is heard saying “He’s throwing my bombs” and, “He’s going to bomb the police with them,” after handing a device to a rioter. He’s later heard saying “good shot, my boy” after an audible explosion. .......

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/500793-illinois-man-charged-with-handing-out-explosives-to-minneapolis-rioters

:blink:

3 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Illinois man charged with handing out explosives to Minneapolis rioters-

"An Illinois man faces several federal charges after he allegedly handed out explosive devices to rioters in Minneapolis demonstrating against the killing of George Floyd.

Officials charged Matthew Lee Rupert, 28, with civil disorder, carrying on a riot and possession of unregistered destructive devices after he allegedly handed out the explosives last week and encouraged people to throw them at law enforcement.

In videos that were allegedly posted to his Facebook account on Friday,

Rupert is heard saying “He’s throwing my bombs” and, “He’s going to bomb the police with them,” after handing a device to a rioter. He’s later heard saying “good shot, my boy” after an audible explosion. .......

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/500793-illinois-man-charged-with-handing-out-explosives-to-minneapolis-rioters

:blink:

".........In the video, which lasted more than two hours, Rupert explicitly said he had bombs.

"They got SWAT trucks up there . . . I've got some bombs if some of you all want to throw them back . . . bomb them back . . . here I got some more . . . light it and throw it," Rupert said, according to the complaint.

In the video, Rupert handed out an item with a brown casing and a green wick, asked for lighter fluid, went into a Sprint store and then said "I lit it on fire," according to the complaint.

On Sunday, Rupert posted another video showing him in the Chicago area wearing an American flag bandana.

In the video, Rupert could be heard saying "let's start a riot" and "I'm going to start doing some damage," according to the complaint.
https://abc7chicago.com/galesburg-man-allegedly-brought-explosives-to-protests-in-chicago-minneapolis-/6227294/

Why would a DC man let 70 strangers into his home overnight?

On sheltering DC protesters in his house overnight,
Rahul Dubey: "I came outside & was on my stoop in 15 seconds & absolute mayhem & horror broke out. I heard big bang, screaming, pepper spray started flying. My eyes were burning. I started yelling get in the house."

His story and the protestors who are grateful for his help ⁦

:)

EZiTnM6XgAIGnEu?format=jpg&name=large

20 hours ago, hamradio said:

Watching live feed from Van Nuys, California on Fox 11 Los Angeles (lost NBC / CBS / ABC New York and Los Angeles :().

Looters tried to loot a store, the owners held them off with guns well as a few of the community citizens.

*This is why we need the right to bear arms!!*

Police did mistakenly handcuff a couple due to the confusion, after the FOX reporter told them they weren't involved were released. (video doesn't run long enough to show that)

FOX is still interviewing the lady in blue thanking her for intervening against the looters.

DON"T MAKE A BIG DEAL OVER THE MISTAKE!!!

*What's all the excitement? What's all the brouhaha?

We all have the right to bear arms-- everybody knows we have the right to bear arms. I have guns myself.

The issue is you don't need weapons like soldiers use in Afghanistan.

I don't know why people are going to lie about the Second Amendment. Everybody's for the Second Amendment--I certainly am.

But I don't need Bazookas or Uzis to protect myself. And neither do you.

Big march past my windows this evening. Later than our 8pm NYC curfew, but peaceful. Many people on bicycles. Followed slowly and at a distance by many police and emergency vehicles. 

7 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Can't breath, you THINK?? :wacko:

hotPavement-123496434-770x553-650x428.jp