Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

democracy, free speech, civility, protest?

Mike Ludwig @ludwig_mike 4h4 hours ago

Along with a journalist, three Water Protecters were arrested Saturday on felony charges

under Louisiana's anti-protest law, despite having written permission to oppose pipeline construction on private property.

https://truthout.org/articles/water-protectors-charged-with-felonies-under-louisianas-anti-protest-law/  @truthout @NoBayouBridge

....... Despite pressure from the company, the landowners have refused to sign a contract allowing pipeline construction on their property, but Bayou Bridge LLC began clearing ancient cypress trees and building the pipeline anyway, according to the release. “I am very much against the Bayou Bridge Pipeline endangering the Louisiana wetlands and possibly destroying not only the water, but the abundant wildlife in the area,” said Theda Wright, a landowner who gave the activists written permission to be on her property. .......

I used to live in Union County, though not in the town of Union. I don't see the

controversy. The last year and a half makes the idea that Donny is an idiot about

as controversial as the idea that 2+2=4.

• Haha 1

Michael AvenattiVerified account @MichaelAvenatti 5h5 hours ago

I am excited to announce that I will be leading a large resistance rally in Texas at the exact same time of Trump’s (details tba).

All groups are welcome to join.

We must fight fire with fire and we must send a message that we will fight to make America America again. #Basta

-----------------------------

-so does that mean an endorsement of Beto O'Rourke?

:unsure:

https://money.cnn.com/2017/09/25/news/ford-nfl-protests/index.html

Ford: We respect the right of NFL players to protest

Ford, (F)a sponsor of the National Football League, has voiced support for NFL players exercising their right to free speech and peaceful protest after President Donald Trump urged fans to consider a boycott.

"We respect individuals' rights to express their views, even if they are not ones we share," the company said on Monday. "That's part of what makes America great."

The company's remarks come amid a dispute between the league and Trump, who has lashed out at players who choose to take a knee during the national anthem as a sign of silent protest over racial and social injustice.

Trump said on Friday that NFL owners should fire players who refused to stand during the National Anthem. In response, players across the country knelt during the anthem before Sunday's games. Some violated the NFL's policy by staying off the field completely during the playing of the "The Star-Spangled Banner."

-

So are the right wingers going to drive their Fords off a cliff now? :huh: 

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet 51m51 minutes ago

The NFL has released a statement on social justice, saying the issues that Colin Kaepernick and others have raised deserve attention and action.

DmRotbiWwAcw1MS.jpg

Total BS from the NFL.    But if this is NOW their policy,   they should advise the teams as well as the players that players can do what they wish during any pre-game ceremonies.     

The NFL has really mismanaged this from the start.      

On 9/4/2018 at 3:57 PM, mr6666 said:

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet 51m51 minutes ago

The NFL has released a statement on social justice, saying the issues that Colin Kaepernick and others have raised deserve attention and action.

DmRotbiWwAcw1MS.jpg

Just as long as they do so in the privacy of their own homes and not out on

the field during the National Anthem.

3 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Just as long as they do so in the privacy of their own homes and not out on

the field during the National Anthem.

Correct;  That statement by this NFL executive was total BS.   Goodell should be fired by the owners for messing this up to such a degree for almost 2 years now.    

How hard is it to come up with a policy and then stick to it???    Hard for the clowns in the NFL front office.  

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Correct;  That statement by this NFL executive was total BS.   Goodell should be fired by the owners for messing this up to such a degree for almost 2 years now.    

How hard is it to come up with a policy and then stick to it???    Hard for the clowns in the NFL front office.  

I don't pay that much attention to the front office, but there is likely no way they are

going to please a whole lot of folks no matter what position they take.  To me the funny

part is how few players actually protest. But you know Trump will blow it up for most of the

season.

6 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I don't pay that much attention to the front office, but there is likely no way they are

going to please a whole lot of folks no matter what position they take.  To me the funny

part is how few players actually protest. But you know Trump will blow it up for most of the

season.

It doesn't matter how many players protest,  the boycotts are REAL,   and there are way too many people that will boycott even if ONE player is allowed to protest and the NFL does NOTHING.    (I feel these people are misguided but clearly they exist and I would estimate that around 20% of NFL fans fall into that group).

Of course no matter what position the NFL took, there would be complaints and associated boycotts.    DUH!  

But that doesn't change my POV that the NFL should have taken a position and stuck to it.   Face the push back and boycotts.   As time marches on these are mostly forgotten (i.e. a NFL fan is going to watch the games after they get their boycott out of their system).     

Glenn GreenwaldVerified account @ggreenwald 2h2 hours ago

The irony in the op-ed from the NYT's anonymous WH coward is glaring and massive:

s/he accuses Trump of being "anti-democratic" while boasting of membership in an unelected cabal

that covertly imposes their own ideology with zero democratic accountability, mandate or transparency

:unsure: 

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It doesn't matter how many players protest,  the boycotts are REAL,   and there are way too many people that will boycott even if ONE player is allowed to protest and the NFL does NOTHING.    (I feel these people are misguided but clearly they exist and I would estimate that around 20% of NFL fans fall into that group).

Of course no matter what position the NFL took, there would be complaints and associated boycotts.    DUH!  

But that doesn't change my POV that the NFL should have taken a position and stuck to it.   Face the push back and boycotts.   As time marches on these are mostly forgotten (i.e. a NFL fan is going to watch the games after they get their boycott out of their system).     

That's true, but the way some people talk you'd think half the team was protesting.

Well, kneeling seems to push some people's buttons in the way the helmet or catch

rules don't. I wouldn't refuse to watch a three hour game just because a few players

kneel for a minute or two, but it looks like quite a few people will.

12 hours ago, Vautrin said:

That's true, but the way some people talk you'd think half the team was protesting.

Well, kneeling seems to push some people's buttons in the way the helmet or catch

rules don't. I wouldn't refuse to watch a three hour game just because a few players

kneel for a minute or two, but it looks like quite a few people will.

This is why I stressed even ONE protest (and even from a team a NFL fan may not even care about \ watch).

E.g. My friend just got back from visiting his 78 year old day for the Labor day weekend.  His old joker had watched the NFL every weekend for decades.  Decades.   We watched the Super Bowl and this is where I found out that was the first NFL game he watched since the protest started.   I didn't ask a lot of questions (he is a classic angry old white guy),  but I assume he is boycotting again.    The guy was in the military and was a fireman. 

Yes,  to me there people are 'nut cases' but like I said they exist.   They will always view such protest as unpatriotic.   

Note the left is doing something similar;  E.g. the New Yorker was having their annual group-hug meeting and the editor invited Bannon.  Well after most of the guest speakers (e.g. Jim Carrey),  said they would NOT attend,  he had to un-invite Bannon.    The editor really had no choice since a majority of guest speakers threaten to pull out. 

Bottom line is that boycotts can be effective if the numbers are there. 

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This is why I stressed even ONE protest (and even from a team a NFL fan may not even care about \ watch).

E.g. My friend just got back from visiting his 78 year old day for the Labor day weekend.  His old joker had watched the NFL every weekend for decades.  Decades.   We watched the Super Bowl and this is where I found out that was the first NFL game he watched since the protest started.   I didn't ask a lot of questions (he is a classic angry old white guy),  but I assume he is boycotting again.    The guy was in the military and was a fireman. 

Yes,  to me there people are 'nut cases' but like I said they exist.   They will always view such protest as unpatriotic.   

Note the left is doing something similar;  E.g. the New Yorker was having their annual group-hug meeting and the editor invited Bannon.  Well after most of the guest speakers (e.g. Jim Carrey),  said they would NOT attend,  he had to un-invite Bannon.    The editor really had no choice since a majority of guest speakers threaten to pull out. 

Bottom line is that boycotts can be effective if the numbers are there. 

The real question is when they do the ratings for the TV shows in a month.  Also, whether or not product sales really go down.  A lot of people will bluster and skip a couple of games, but in the end I predict almost all will come back.  Same with sales of products.  Nike may suffer as there are competing products that are just as good, if not better, anyway.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

The real question is when they do the ratings for the TV shows in a month.  Also, whether or not product sales really go down.  A lot of people will bluster and skip a couple of games, but in the end I predict almost all will come back.  Same with sales of products.  Nike may suffer as there are competing products that are just as good, if not better, anyway.

Hard for me to predict what people will do when I don't really 'get' why they feel so strongly,  but if I was an NFL owner or part of senior NFL management,  I wouldn't be as optimistic as you are they 'almost all will come back'.

The main reason being Trump.    Most of the people I have meet that are really upset about these NFL protest are Trump supporters and anti-black athletes in general (I'm not saying they are racist,  but they are outspoken about how much they dislike rich black athletes that complain \ are outspoken \ don't just "play ball").    

Now that Nike has taken the side of the players \ black athletes, we have a classic culture war feud and I don't see either side just getting over it.    Note that there is already a boycott of all Nike products (E.g.  there are videos on-line of men burning all of their Nike products (well mostly their kids products),  to protest Nike's stance and of course black athletes all coming out to support Nike and recommending people that support the 'cause' buy more of their product.

I find support by the black community for Nike humorous since Nike products are mostly made by Asians,  getting 'slave' wages and way over priced for the average member of the black community (or any community).   In fact Jordan (MJ) was criticized many years ago by black activist for supporting Nike and getting paid millions for doing so,  since Nike employs few Americans,  and almost no black Americans.